Top Ten Medicinal Plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know the plants I use, the ones that grow near where I live.

There are millions of plants out there, but how many do you actually recognise ?
How many actually grow where you can find them ?
How many would you actually utilise ?

Don't get bogged down with sheer numbers and information.

Everyone of us is different, we all react differently (within certain parameters) to herbs, drugs and the like. That, and the fact that where and how the plant grows will affect it's properties to some extent, makes this a judgement topic.

Think of the most common ailments that you have to deal with and concentrate firstly on finding, and using, native plants that are recommended as effective.

Right now, with Autumn upon us, is not the best time to find the full flush of plants. It's a good time for the last fruits and nuts though, and as the grasses die down it's a good time to spot things like the meadowsweet, the yarrow and the clovers and selfheals.
The meadowsweet will mostly disappear over Winter, but if you know where it is, then you can find the roots if needed. Clover's not much use unless in flower so that's one to remember for next year. The Yarrow will mostly have 'some' leaves through Autumn, maybe a few remaining through Winter but in Spring it'll open up the feathery new ones.....and then the grass will hide most of it again. Similarly the selfheal, which is worth while introducing into your lawn if you're not that fussy about it being a pure green sward. It'll cut short with the grass and still produce flowers for gathering :)

What would we suggest as the most likely uses? might be a better way to approach this.

cuts, grazes,
bites, stings,
burns and scalds,
headaches,
sore throats,
colds,
flu,
upset guts,
skin rashes,
eyes; dry or inflamed or infected.
sinusitus,
fungal nails, etc.,
fever and chills,
earache,
mouth; ulcers, bleeding gums, toothache,
hair; lice, dandruff,

Bearing in mind too that there are good reasons for the potions of the pharmacist :D and the Doctor really does know an awful lot more than we are ever likely to about the body, this is still an interesting and relevant discussion for us :cool:

I admit I prefer the personal recommendation, rather than, "someone said that someone's granny used...", kind of reply. More along the lines of Harlequin's yarrow styptic response :D

Good thread TeeDee :D

cheers,
M

Rumi

Forager
COMFREY - Powdered root (you need alot) can be mixed with plaster of paris and bandage to make a splint fro a broken bone. It will speed the healing process, however it is important to make sure the bone is properly set. Also with the grated washed root make a hot infused oil by pouring equal quantity of oil to solids (by volume) and then in a bain marie heating the infused oil. leave to stand for 24 hours and then drain and keep the oil. Use the oil with bees wax to make ointment. - care in use - comfrey accelerates healing so if it used near broken skin it is essential the cut is 100% clean.

CHAMOMILE - see my blog..

Its uses are wide and varied including:
Hair tonic, as a rinse
Skin cleansing wash
Soothing eye cleanser
Sedative tea
Digestive Sedative
For the Bushcraft practitioner it is one of the most important medicines which is readily available and can be collected, dried and stored for when it is required.

The medicinal value of chamomile is due to three actions:

* Reduction of inflammation
* Relief of spasm
* Counteraction of flatulence and the pain thereof

Chamomile is a perfect medicine for stomach upsets and relief is rapid. It is especially good for the treatment of threadworms, roundworms and whipworms (Trichuris trichiura).
Strained Chamomile can also be used as a wash for wounds and has healing properties in this area.

MEADOWSWEET - contains aspirin in a non emetic form (unlike willow) so can be used for releif of pain, especially on an empty sromach.

NETTLE TOPS - Iron and vitamin C especially in the spring - tonic

CLEAVERS - Immune system stimulant- especially in the early spring is good with nettles - tnic

ELDER FLOWERS - gathered on a sunny early morning and dried a tea to relieve the fever of flue

ELDER BERRIES - gathered when plump and dried - decoct (boil) for 5 mins and serve with lemon and honey to relieve sore throat or make a syrup and store in small bottles until required.

WILD THYME & COLTSFOOT - make a syrup for coughs

ALDER BARK - Astringent and antiseptic - stops bleeding can be used as an emergency dressing.

I will just add I and family use these herbs and many other daily, and prepare most of our own syrups, oils and ointments. My wife is a fully qualified NIMH medical herbalist and I am an advanced first aider. With a lot of field first aid experience.

"Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food."
Hippocrates

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Nice post Rumi.

Nobody has mentioned Peppermint as a superb cure for an dicky tummy yet. I find it absolutely 100% effective.

There's all of the 'illegal' herbs which grow well and productively in this country too which have some very effective uses. Cannabis and Opium being the two obvious ones.

I'm not necessarily condoning their cultivation but in a survival situation if you were in pain and it was poppy season...

Rob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh Rumi - I make elderberry tincture rather than syrup - very good as a cough cold relief but clearly alcoholic being a tincture (oh dear) :)

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Missed that bit BR.

Has anyone got Culpepers guide? How do you rate it? I've heard good things of it but only from my more hippy friends (Yes - there are folks that are more hippy than me).

Rob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Used to do work for Culpepper years ago - its a good book but dated in language and concept. Certainly not a primer - more for reading up

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I don't think anyone has mentioned using Hops as a sedative and sleep enhancer yet?? Just watched a bit on Youtube reff this and it looks like good stuff, especially applicable to those of us who work various anti circadian shift patterns.

So , anyone used Hops for sleep?

I have, a long time ago but i found hops to be very really calming and helped get me to sleep.
They mustn't be used when someone has depression though - prob due to their sedative effect

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Missed that bit BR.

Has anyone got Culpepers guide? How do you rate it? I've heard good things of it but only from my more hippy friends (Yes - there are folks that are more hippy than me).

Rob

Hi Rob,
Have to admit I don't have too much knowledge of Culpepper but I tend to find his approach as quite broad. What i mean is that his descriptions of what a single herb can treat will be so vast i end up wondering what it doesn't treat. Although what he is saying may be true to a herbalist who know how to combine with other herbs and therefore acheive more results, for me as an amateur with an interest it's just too much. I like Hoffman (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Workbooks-New-Holistic-Herbal/dp/1852301937) , more specific and he can write for the layman as well as the educated.

Great thread

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hops are good but they're 'heavy' somehow. More a sedative than a sleep aid I find.
I prefer Valerian if I need something to get me gently over the edge of sleep.

I read a study a while back where the two were combined.........remember I spoke of synergy ?
I don't think this would work well with these two.
Is the aim a gentle relaxing sleep, or sent so deep that you wake feeling like something horrible has nested in your mouth, your throat is dry as dust, and your sinuses ache ?

Hops though, they calm stress, fears and tears, and for those whose sleep is so restless that it is no sleep, they are excellent.

Better to mix either with Melissa or Blackcurrant, I'd have thought, or if neither is working find something else entirely.

cheers,
M

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've used a product from Boots called 'natrasleep' which is a mixture of hops and valerian with nothing else in the ingredients but cellulose for the coating of each pill. They work really well but I tend to get weird dreams with them. They reek of valerian so I have faith in the natural content of the product.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, my 'learning' in this is family stuff backed up with years of personal experience.
To that way of thinking, both are 'specifics'.
Specifics can be moderated, tobered, gently tailored; but to mix two is like trying to mix red wine and whisky. Both are good, both are potent, both have an effect, but a mixture can have some rather odd side effects as well as getting one drunk.

I don't know if I'm making myself clear on this :eek: It's one of the reasons I find some modern herbal practices a bit odd. It's as though so long as the major effect is achieved, well, the subtleties can look after themselves, when it's the subtleties that can balance or unbalance how well we feel or how rapidly we heal.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be taken together, just that you might get more than was intended, and it might not be very comfortable.

If I were you Rob, I think I might try the Valerian tincture on it's own. It tastes like peas :D and the root will grow on the farm too.

cheers,
Mary

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry to make clear what i was suggesting with reference to Hops , Mr James Wong ( Grow you own Drugs ) was making Hops and Lavender Pillows for suffers of poor sleep , so no ingestation involved , both the subject reported increased quantity and quality of sleep.

I find with working Nightcycles I could benefit from something putting me down and keeping me under to stop a fitful 'sleep' period. May have to give the pillows a whirl.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You got the proportions and dosage for the valerian tincture you make Mary? I make an infusion but a tincture is a good idea

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Valerian's one of the ones that's better aged slow.

There's something different in the action of the herb if it's fresh or tinctured or even tisaned.
If taken fresh it's anti depressive, it seems to over-lift the spirits, but taken old it's a very gentle nudge into sleep, and a mild muscle relaxant, really good when the mind won't shut down and the body's achey after a day out working.

Gather the roots (rhizomes, stolons and the wee thready bits) and, if it's shooting up, the bottom bit of the stem too.
Wash it and dry it carefully. Then cut it up small. It needs dried very cool. It needs time to change something in it, like good wine losing acidity or something like that. It needs to mature as it dries.
Once it is dry, like Orris root it'll keep well for a very long time. Like this it can be used for tea, but it's needs to slow stew for at least quarter of an hour. So, we make tinctures to keep it ready to hand.
One heaped tablespoonful of the dried material to quarter pint/ gill of alcohol. ( I can get the 100% stuff for tinctures, but Vodka works too )
Put both into a jar and stir until all of the plant material is wetted. Then seal the jar/bottle. (I have ground glass topped vessels with wide bottoms that are really good for this kind of thing, but I found one of the Japanese rice vinegar bottles was very good when I changed the screw top :) ) Swill thoroughly and frequently for a day or so. Don't shake because that just gets air bubbles in the mix. Then put it aside somewhere warmish (kitchen worktop, cupboard, not chilly or hot like the boiler cupboard) and leave it alone for six weeks or so.
Strain really well through a couple of new gents hankies and squeeze it really well to get all the juice out of it.
Bottle it small, and 20 drops to half of an old fashioned china teacup of really hot water. Let it sit a minute or so and then sip.
I find if I sit with a book or the newspaper sipping it, at first I think this isn't going to work and I get engrossed in the book and suddenly I find my nose in the page :eek: Time for bed :D

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't suppose anybody's ever got some photos or drawings together of these plants along with some basic ID info ?

It would be a really handy resource for printing out, laminating and slipping inside a pack.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't suppose anybody's ever got some photos or drawings together of these plants along with some basic ID info ?

It would be a really handy resource for printing out, laminating and slipping inside a pack.

Sadly I haven't, but I am growing most of them (re-establishing a new herb garden at the new house - have about 50 usefuls in my now).

I dry quite a few

You'd be welcome to swing by for a sniff, a look and as many samples as you want

Red

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Shewie - Most of the ones I mentioned and the others are in the collins little gem book of wild flowers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE