Too much boot wax?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Anyone tried removing excessive wax build up from their boots? I have a fantastic pair over Meindl Engadin boots that I may have 'over-waxed' when new. Not really a problem - just quite a bit of build up in the creased areas. Purely an aesthetic issue, but I wonder if anyone can reccommend a method of removing wax treatment - other than my finger nail!

Also, I bought these in a 9 and 1/2 size to allow for socks,etc. Great with loads of thick wool in the winter but after a size 9 pair for the summer if anyone knows of any?

Off to Skye in June and want everything sorted!

Cheers, all.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Tried the walking - works for the majority of the boot, just not the nooks, crannies and creases where the main build up lies. Now, a hairdryer! There's an idea!

Thanks to you both.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Mulesandhorsessufferedterribly.jpg

Stretcher_bearers_Passchendaele_Aug.jpg

I 'm taking it that this is a joke thread ? or are you really serious ?
:confused: Danny
I always have a tin of dubbing and an old toothbrush in my pocket
and quite often larap a bit more on during a walk especially if it's wet
never heard of over waxed before

Last edited:

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Cheers for replies.

An ex-marine mate has also cited the hairdryer method as working. Ta.

Size 9 Engadins or Supercamp going cheap anywhere? Loving the leather lining. Won't go back to GTX.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Cheers for replies.

An ex-marine mate has also cited the hairdryer method as working. Ta.

Size 9 Engadins or Supercamp going cheap anywhere? Loving the leather lining. Won't go back to GTX.

Lundhags..... recent walk in the Lake District, a bit boggy from the snow melt, just stomp through it all regardless, even walking across streams to almost full depth of boot tops !

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mulesandhorsessufferedterribly.jpg

Stretcher_bearers_Passchendaele_Aug.jpg

I 'm taking it that this is a joke thread ? or are you really serious ?
:confused: Danny
I always have a tin of dubbing and an old toothbrush in my pocket
and quite often larap a bit more on during a walk especially if it's wet
never heard of over waxed before

I think he's serious Dan:rolleyes:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I think he's serious Dan:rolleyes:

They must be Pink :eek: Meindl Engadin boots
come on too much wax ! it's wet it's boggy there's becks.
This is a Bushcraft site. Not fashion monthly :pokenest:
How can you have too much wax ? they are outdoor boots
or does the wax obscure the labels ?
each to their own
cheers Danny

I once had a pair of real good quality, quite expensive leather brogues. I bought them thinking that they would last for donkey's years, but after just a year or so the leather cracked quite badly where it was flexing.
I'd been polishing them a couple of times a week thinking that I was really looking after them, but I was told by an old shoe maker that I'd used too much polish on them and "poisoned" the leather. Didn't know it was possible.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Too much wax just stops the leather "breathing", and also works itself away from fold/crease areas and so does not add to the overall waterproof performance of the boots but does add weight (more than the difference in weight between a steel spork and a Ti one ).
The place that you want the wax is IN the leather and a thin skin on top, not cloggy great lumps .....
I used to scrape the excess out of my boots with a rounded Tea spoon handle....the scrapings make pretty good firelighting aids....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I once had a pair of real good quality, quite expensive leather brogues. I bought them thinking that they would last for donkey's years, but after just a year or so the leather cracked quite badly where it was flexing.
I'd been polishing them a couple of times a week thinking that I was really looking after them, but I was told by an old shoe maker that I'd used too much polish on them and "poisoned" the leather. Didn't know it was possible.

Ah - that could be the solvents in the boot polish - probably not the waxes themselves...

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Too much wax just stops the leather "breathing", and also works itself away from fold/crease areas and so does not add to the overall waterproof performance of the boots but does add weight (more than the difference in weight between a steel spork and a Ti one ).
The place that you want the wax is IN the leather and a thin skin on top, not cloggy great lumps .....
I used to scrape the excess out of my boots with a rounded Tea spoon handle....the scrapings make pretty good firelighting aids....

Cheers John,

That is exactly what is happening. These are my first pair of expensive boots and I got a bit over keen to treat them with wax before wearing them - as per Meindl's instructions. I used Leidergris and put far too many layers on ( 5 or 6 I think?). Recent walks in a variety of terrain, from snow covered Lakeland Fells to boggy Northumberland moorland, have found the wax 'creasing' away from the leather where the boot flexes. As they are leather ( non-goretex) lined I realise the importance of maintaining them as best I can. I must confess this thread was also prompted by this month' Trail magazine, where a so-called 'boot expert' stated that too much wax on leather boots could be detrimental to their performance?

Clearly, several people have had cause to remove excess treatment or proofing from their footwear before and I thank them for their responses.

Strange to find the other views on here. As a member of the emergency services, I am well aware of the difference between 'aesthetically perfect' and 'well maintained' kit and equipment all too well, thank you. It would appear that, for some, a problem 'they have never had' is either foolish, ignorant or related to the colour pink?!?!?! Come on lads! In my experience this is an inclusive, accepting and family friendly forum. Long may it remain so. Surely the 'Clothing and Footwear' title to the thread was a clue? Isn't this where people ask such questions?!?! After a couple of years on here and a fantastic trip to the Bushmoot with my 8 year old daughter last year, I have found it to be an inspiring, generous and expert arena to seek advice. It has been ( and will remain) my FIRST port of call for a long time.

Or, is that just my view?

Cheers,
Steve.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I used to strip the wax polish off my boots and shoes with the bristle brush that came with my dremel style tool, soon sorted it out :eek:

Wings :)

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
New boots are NOT to be treated, they are factory treated. If not next rule applies anyway.
Boots are to be waxed WHEN they need it and WHERE they need it. Spot waxed with finger.
Leather CAN get to much wax, it will rotten! If not allowed to breath, never wax before storage.
Wax DOES have an effect on water proffness, it seals sewing wholes and makes leather repel water.
There is a BIG difference in wax and polish! and so with the materials its used for! Wax is for rovers, polish for (tin) soldiers.

"Wax new boots, wax every time you use them, wax many layers". I hear it all the time from SALESMEN to tenderfoots but listen to it, it can only be a wax manufactor that made that up. OR because the manufactor or distribuater gets many boots back because the tenderfoot goes for looks and as a consumer dont exspect a long lifetime, there for the manufacotor or distribuater is more interrested in preserving the boots original look and feel than lifetime atleast i often hear the tenderfoot more conserned about preserving looks than life and functionality.
Normaly i would also say wear it off.

Normaly i would say "your not out enough" but it deffently sounds like your boots have gotten so much "love" in its "cracks" that you cant wear it off before it will start to rotten but water and a soft toothbrush to clean your "cracks" should bring it to an acceptble level unless there is more than just "wax" in your wax.
Did the expert say in what way it would be detrimental to their performance??

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Er, I'm at home not in the bush as I write this! I KNOW excess will wear off gradually through normal use. I am out in them every week.

I MADE AN ERROR! FORGIVE ME!

. I applied too much wax initially, causing it to peel away in certain areas. The wax is cracking in such a way as to leave un-waxed, untreated cracks where the boot flexes. This will possibly lead to them letting water in at these points. I have sorted it now. As a preventitive maintenance measure.

Ananix - I think you are right. Would have been better to leave them alone and not take the shop/manufacturer's advice. Just wanted to do the right thing as they're my first experience of leather lined boots. Much prefer them to GTX, now. Just my opinion!!!!

. . . . and, relax . . .!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I wonder how long it takes for the leather on an 'over waxed' pair of boots to rot or become damaged?

I also wonder if that time period is longer then they could reasonably be expected to last under normal 'outdoor' use?

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Er, I'm at home not in the bush as I write this! I KNOW excess will wear off gradually through normal use. I am out in them every week.

I MADE AN ERROR! FORGIVE ME!

. I applied too much wax initially, causing it to peel away in certain areas. The wax is cracking in such a way as to leave un-waxed, untreated cracks where the boot flexes. This will possibly lead to them letting water in at these points. I have sorted it now. As a preventitive maintenance measure.

Ananix - I think you are right. Would have been better to leave them alone and not take the shop/manufacturer's advice. Just wanted to do the right thing as they're my first experience of leather lined boots. Much prefer them to GTX, now. Just my opinion!!!!

. . . . and, relax . . .!

Sorry my post was aimed just as much to others soon to face or faces same problem as to you there for the nazi walk through, i just tried not to make it a daily issue about leatherboots for tenderfoots as it often becomes :(

I beleave the part in regards to your issue was much more understanding and friendly, considering your person and your problem oposit the general walk through. Ill cut down on the ! and capital letters in general so i seems as relaxed as i really am :)

Im happy you solved your problem but may i ask for my own understanding and knowledge, pealing wax that leaves dry spots and cracks, sounds an awfull lot like polish not wax. Can you explain further? is the wax coloured and smells other than dull??
Leather lined you say, maybe i missunderstood the issue is it on the inside or the outside you have the problem?? do you have two diffrent materials on the inside and outside?? I talked about (and only use) treating the outsides of no lining leather boots, same piece of leather on the outside as the inside.
And again did the expert say in what way it would be detrimental to their performance to over wax??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE