Tomahawk / Adze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A bit of a curious question regarding whats is possible in regards to modern hatchet manufacture.

Would it be possible to make a Tomahawk with a typical friction fit handle BUT also have the head have a pole hole on the lateral side so that it could be turned ( quickly ) into an Adze???

Its more a question of if its possible with modern forging techniques? I know you can jury rig a Hatchet blade to a crooked piece of wood to form an Adze.

Doable? Or too much material removed from the head to deal with the pressures of striking and cutting????????

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
theoreticaly you could either punch two holes at 90 degrees to each other, but then you either have a massive head aroung the eye or very small areas of contact with the wood. Or I guess you could have one hole infront of the other, only at 90, but then you have a long head with lots of holes! Neither would make a practical (or good looking) tool.

The other way would be to have a cutting edge that screws onto the head section. Basically the head is fitted to the handle as normal but looks like a square hammer head with a couple of holes drilled into one face. The cutting edge (a wedge shaped piece with two pins sticking on the blunt side) then plugs into the head and grub screws are tightened to lock in place. You have a variety of edges made up for adze, axe, fork, etc. I've seen it done, but not got around to trying it myself

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There's always one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-BEA...=578199358561364721&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&

$(KGrHqRHJ!wE8+wMdwziBP,LrHdG1Q~~60_3.JPG

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

The only downside with that is you can't use the reverse rear head of the Tomahawk as a mini -anvil for smacking things on. I'm thinking along the lines of a Tomahawk / Adze / Wood wedge / Mini Anvil tool.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
oh yeah, there is that solution to adze and axe combined :rolleyes: dunno why I didn't think of the obvious before!

You could use the cheeks of the eye as an anvil, they could be left thick to be a little more robust. I think maybe the old 'jack of all trades' thing is coming into play here ;)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was thinking if its more possible to make a design along these lines using a symmetrical head ( so that when used as an Adze it bites cleanly ) and also of use as a wood wedge as illustrated in this vid.

[video=youtube;6pvv97vPLHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pvv97vPLHk&feature=pl ayer_embedded[/video]

If anyone feels ups to the task of making one.... I'm happy to help with the trials!

Last edited:

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
several years ago someone was shopping a prototype where the blade rotated in a socket on the tool's poll.
if i can find the book it was in i'll add it later.

for a large version look at the pulaski.
i use mine primarily as a grubbing tool but it will take a very sharp edge on both blades.

i can't seem to find the reference.
i'll try a couple of the patent websites.

people have forged their own.

could you have someone weld a blade to the poll of the trail hawk?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE