To line or not to line?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Supertanker

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton
What are the benefits of lining the handle on a knife, besides aesthetics? Conversely are there any ill effects of not lining the handle? Thanks in advance,

Tank

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Some woods contain chemicals which can effect the metal (oak for one) liners provide a barrier. They also allow for a tiny bit of movement in the handle material through temperature and humidity. But woods that have a high oil content, synthetic handle materials and stabilised woods don't really need liners. They're just an aesthetic choice.

Supertanker

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton
Some woods contain chemicals which can effect the metal (oak for one) liners provide a barrier. They also allow for a tiny bit of movement in the handle material through temperature and humidity. But woods that have a high oil content, synthetic handle materials and stabilised woods don't really need liners. They're just an aesthetic choice.

Aha, I see. Thanks for that. What materials would be best to use or do I need to get 'proper' liners?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As to protecting the steel from chemicals in the wood - the glue layer should form a full barrier!
I have handled many knives with Oak without problem and for me liners are just for looks realy and I prefer a knife without liners.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As to protecting the steel from chemicals in the wood - the glue layer should form a full barrier!
I have handled many knives with Oak without problem and for me liners are just for looks realy and I prefer a knife without liners.

I'll let you go and debate that on britishblades. I'm just passing on received wisdom from when I asked the same question.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Aha, I see. Thanks for that. What materials would be best to use or do I need to get 'proper' liners?

Brass, birch bark, pewter, nickle silver, proper fibre liners all work well. I always put liners in for peace of mind and they add to the appearance as well in my opinion.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
liners are for two reasons ONLY. Mostly its aesthetics,it adds a visual contrast. The other reason is that they are slightlysquidgy,so give you a little give on fit (only a fraction of mm with some materials and more like a whole 1mm with others).

Thetheory of it being a barrier between metal and moisture/chemicals is a load of old cobblers! What do you think a bit of board is going to stop that the layer of liquid epoxy spread over the whole surface does not do?! Epoxy seals the surfaces off to the environment. Some of the liners are actually porous so will fill with liquid and swell too.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thetheory of it being a barrier between metal and moisture/chemicals is a load of old cobblers! What do you think a bit of board is going to stop that the layer of liquid epoxy spread over the whole surface does not do?! Epoxy seals the surfaces off to the environment. Some of the liners are actually porous so will fill with liquid and swell too.

Well that told me! :D

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Well that told me! :D

You should know better than bringing "wisdom" from BB over here. :pokenest:
I have knives with and without liners.Mainly they seem to look fine.
I have often wondered if there is a genuinely sound reason for liners so thanks for the OP Supertanker.
Cheers , Simon

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have often wondered if there is a genuinely sound reason for liners so thanks for the OP Supertanker.
Cheers , Simon

I guess there may be a case when if the metal or scales are heavily keyed wood could touch metal and therefore the liners would provide extra insurance in case the epoxy wasn't evenly applied.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I rehandled a woodlore that had no liners and was amazed at how easy the scales popped off once the bolts were drilled out. The epoxy was only on about a third of the scales. Not much protection there then!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm not getting shirty, just saying there was a real lack of anything in there protecting the steel for a top dollar knife. For the price and sake aesthetics I go with them unless it's meant to be a real rustic looking knife...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Mention has been made of the potential effect of wooden scales on a blade, but let's not forget that blade metal can affect wood.

Some woods, oak for example, can be discoloured by prolonged contact with iron and steel. The result can be very dark stains.

Yes, a layer of epoxy adhesive can form a reasonably good barrier.

No, a layer of epoxy often doesn't have the structural integrity that you might hope for.

Supertanker

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton
Cheers , Simon

Glad it was of use. I was curious. Thanks all for your help. It will be a home made knife so not exactly top dollar!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE