To Kill or not to Kill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
but I think you should drop the "Irish" from your forum name...
Your comment about dogs, as I think somebody else has mentioned, is just plain silly....
If something moves, a dog is going to have a look. How the flump do you train them to
stay away from snakes...????:banghead:

I've NEVER gotten into a "slanging" match on any forum, and don't intend to here, but
IMHO "Lostboy" would be plenty...

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
actually we keep chickens back home. free range. only once did we have a fox try get at the chickens. it was a cold miserable winter, and i guess he had no other choice. one chicken lost an eye. the chicken killed the fox though.
and as for sheep, any ewe will protect her lamb. if she doesn't odds are he is non-viable anyway.
at the end of the day though, you were not talking about hunting, or pest control, and we both know it. what you were talking about is cruel predatory behavior inflicted on a creature in its natural environment for thrills. its illegal for a reason, and its unfair to raise the subject here with the tone of justifyng it, and its unfair that my introduction to these forums is to have to point this out.

your chicken kills foxes now I know your just talking the ****.... troll

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
swagman,

I know this is going to sound weird but I promise its not a wind up. I have heard people have had good results where they ahve snake problems by scattering mothballs. Now To be fair I have read this and it was mainly in reference to rattle snakes in the USA (maybe a US member can verify). Something to do with people get a number under their house and a good scattering of mothballs leaves a scent which is unpleasant to the snake apparently. Can't comment on the personally as there is only one poisonous snake in the UK (his name is Sid and he has a contract with "Wildlife on One" ;))

Red

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
my handle of irishlostboy came about many years ago, and is useful for me. it is no statement of political affiliation or feeling. i work in audio, graphics and technology. most of the people i know/work with are from other countries. its a useful and unoffensive handle i have used to identify myself for years.
if anyone has a problem with my handle, its a problem that should be left in the seventies, where it belongs. i have traveled around the world, and never had any negativity given to me for my nationality before. i am pretty shocked. i thought this was a place where i may share some common ground with people. evidently i was mistaken. i mean in this thread we have British Red (hi) and you cairodel, possibly located in Cairo? so i am not alone in admitting it is handy to identify your location/nationality within your internet handle.

if my nationality is going to prove a problem for the users of this forum, please, dont beat around the bush, and just be honest and say, "sorry but this a problem," and i will bugger off to elsewhere. but i gotta warn you, i don't think afganistan-taliban-dan would take it so kindly. if you took the same tone with him. lol

as re; the "slanging match", sorry for the part i played in it. i made my feelings on the subject clear, and thats that i guess. different people have different ideas. fait compli.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
If I had any problems with race, creed or colour I wouldn't have stayed here for the past
12 years, living and working amongst Egyptians (Muslims and Copts), Ethiopians,
Sudanese, Americans, Armenians, Brits, Irish et al., even working with Lepers on a
monthly basis. My comment was directed at what I regard as a meaningless comment.
End. So let's drop this here ILB, eh..?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Swagman,

You haven't told us whether there are many snakes transiting or if one has taken up residence.

Also do you live in the suburbs or on the edge of the bush?

If there is a real risk of someone being bitten tell the authorities and someone will come and move the snake. If they say don't worry about it - then don't.

If you are really concerned get in touchwith some reptile nuts (snake handlers, I mean). Many are quite happy to come and move the snake for you. Their concern of course is not your or the dogs but the snake :D

Ash

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
WHAT A VENOMOUS THREAD!!! catch the snake put it in a box and release it in the bush.G,day mate or is it top o the mornin to ya

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
If you have a nearby source of water, relocating the snake will do little to solve the problem as Tiger's love nothing more than swallowing down a nice juicy frog. They will eat small rodents but are poor hunters however if you are providing board and lodging for rodents (bird feeders or keeping poultry) then the snakes will stick around for the young which provide an easier caught meal otherwise they are just passing through! Yes I am a reptile 'nut' :D

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi Ash

I live on the edge of the bush. I am not sure if the snakes i have seen are passing through or have taken up residence.
I saw a small tiger snake on the drive on sunday (i live on a one acre plot) and it went into some low bushes so that everning i took the bush up were i found a large snake skin
and ther is a hole?.

Silver back i have no chikens or bird feeders or rodants well not that i know of.

And for those who dont know tiger snakes are very venomous and can be very aggresive.

Thanks Red i will look in to that.

And thanks Cairodel i will look into the plants to.

And thanks to every body else.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
From memory the Tiger snakes do not like noise or disturbance. On this thought we used to make a lot of noise when clearing the bush around our house.
There were always a few snakes under the tin sheet pile but this was normal so they were left alone until a sheet was needed whereupon the pile was banged and rattled and the snakes sometimes came out. One still had to be careful for the reluctant ones though!

On the tin pile... follow this train of thought.... accept the fact that you WILL have a number of snakes around the property and cater for this by making an area further away MORE suitable for their needs than your immediate area the snakes should go there. You could observe this and perhaps fence it off against the dogs.

The dogs are inquisitive but my brother had two German Shepherds which although inquisitive never had any problems with snakes. Our neighbor had a terrier which caused mayhem with the local animal population and was consequently shot.(not by us!)

The annual scrub clearance was our way, as with local tradition, to ensure the bush fires were un able to get too near the property if they came that way. It also meant that there was no cover for snakes either! It was very hard work too.

We were quite high up in Molesworth (New Norfolk) and it was certainly cooler which may account for slightly less numbers of snakes present, although those seen were usually fine specimens. As you have had some very hot years recently there has probably been a population explosion everywhere.

As I have not lived in Tassie now for 15 years you can take this with a pinch of salt! My brother now lives in Hobart and the bush property has been sold.

Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE