Tipi/Laavu tent for begginers (need help!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I've always been camping in the traditional dome tent or in 1 person bivi-tents and that's more than fine for one but now I need to get myself a 2 person tent for me and the missus and I don't want it to be a typical tunnel to sleep in...

I'm looking for something bushcrafty(!!) and comfortable like a tipi/laavu tent since they seem to be the favourites for so many, but as the newbie that I am I don't know where to start or what the whole "kit" should include.

I've read things like stoves and gas lights inside for heating, animal skins for flooring. It's all just to new for me... :dunno:

Can you recommend a "basic" configuration with everything I would need for camping a few days outdoors, even in winter months.

Cheers,

Arri

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
for the money I think the two man polish Laavu is a bargain! if you get that, maybe take an old plastic sheet or just something to put on the ground (it comes without a ground sheet unfortunately) then you could perhaps have a small double (small double?if there's such a thing :confused:) airbed? either that or two single ones? I have a gelert inflatable single blow up bed that fits quite comfortably into one side of the tent, just take that with a good sleeping bag or duvet etc, maybe a candle lantern and any other luxurys you want to take, I think that the candle lantern (or just candle on its own) + the heat from the both of you would be more than sufficient to keep that tent warm...However I might be wrong, anyone else feel free to step in :)

Hope this helps

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
We had a massive group buy on these tents and loads of people bought them, just ask around to see how they got on with them, I think you'll find it gets positive feedback from most :D

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
for the money I think the two man polish Laavu is a bargain! if you get that, maybe take an old plastic sheet or just something to put on the ground (it comes without a ground sheet unfortunately) then you could perhaps have a small double (small double?if there's such a thing :confused:) airbed? either that or two single ones? I have a gelert inflatable single blow up bed that fits quite comfortably into one side of the tent, just take that with a good sleeping bag or duvet etc, maybe a candle lantern and any other luxurys you want to take, I think that the candle lantern (or just candle on its own) + the heat from the both of you would be more than sufficient to keep that tent warm...However I might be wrong, anyone else feel free to step in :)

Hope this helps

You would struggle to use a double airbed in these - due to the central pole, but two singles should fit in nicely :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Sorry - never used the Juno past September. I don't see why it would suffer by being used in winter, apart from you may get slightly more warmth in a canvas tent compared to man made fibres.

Very quick to put up (3 pegs, then the pole, then the other 2 pegs), and small to carry.

I would have thought that for winter camping, a sleeping bag would be the major differentiator (although 1st winter camping in about 15 years this coming weekend, so I may learn a lot about it!)

They are very well made tents, and Vango guarantee them, so no gamble really

Snozz

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I'm tempted between the Juno (for price) or a Shangri-la (for comfort). If only the juno had some 'adult' colours. I find the colours/patterns very Glastonbury-ish. :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
The orange/green one isn't too bad (the one we've got).

Makes it seem sunny whatever the weather! :)

Dec 30, 2005
South Wales
I have the smaller version of this item currently on ebay (no connection to seller) that I use for solo trips and it's been fantastic. If I didn't already have a canvas bell tent for family camping I would definately be bidding. Just can't justify another tent to her indoors.

http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bison-Tinde-4-Lavvu-Tipi-Bushcraft-Tent_W0QQitemZ190367164204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN?hash=item2c52c4672c

Here's the link to the manufacturers site for more info:

http://www.madbearoutdoors.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=tinde

Good luck with whatever you choose....

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Wow that's a big one just when I was settled to get a Shangri-la 3! I like the idea of a tall tipi that I can stand inside though...

Back to the drawing board...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE