Tiny bit of a rant - GRRRRRR!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
Relfy, If people are asking for your pictures because they feel they are good enough to help promote them then they are good enough to sell... I am a bit of a strict person when it comes to companies using my creativity to sell or promote their products, even charities. I know that sounds harsh, but I look at it this way...

The person writing the articles or creating the website is getting paid, the art director for the project is getting paid, the head of the company gets paid, even the cleaners in the building are getting paid so why not me? I have a house to run, people to feed ect... so why work for free?

I've spent thousands and thousands on training, equipment - not just the cameras, but lenses, flashes, cleaning products, memory cards, filters, modifiers and lots of other bits and pieces. I've spent thousands of hours learning an working at my craft, I've spent thousands on computers and lightroom and photoshop and many many more hours learning how to use those programs to their full ability.

And then they ask me to take all of that time and money and give them my skill and creativity for free.

You say that your camera isn't great... so what? It's your eye, skill and time that create a picture, not the camera. Okay, so if you show up at a paid job with a Canon rebel it would be seriously unprofessional and I would seriously recommend against starting up a business until you had the proper professional equipment but for the shots you already have, why not ask for something?

If it's good enough to be printed, it's good enough to be sold.

Decide on what is fair recompense, I have a set amount... use this site below to discover your cost of doing business - this will be the minimum you need to make to keep even, add some more on for profit.

http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/cdb/cdbcalc.cfm

It's in dollars, but if you just ignore the symbol it won't matter.

NB: You NEVER sell copyright, only license to use the photo.

eg: License for use 1 year - print run up to 10,000 - 1/8 page. After the year is up, they have to give you more money or discontinue the run.

Well... the only thing is, I don't think that's strictly true that everyone gets paid when its charitable. I asked one girl and she said 'no she is a volunteer and as a new venture no one is getting paid yet'. It was a green website, can't remember who, but the article she was writing was sound re water wastage.
Also - I haven't spent thousands on camera equipment. I'd like to!! But so far... only about £200 (including memory cards etc) and I've completely abused my camera until its nearly not functional anymore, but then it is earlier photos that people like anyway.

But I completely agree every worker his wages!! And completely support you in expecting that. If I was doing what you do, I would expect it too.

In the end, I haven't actually let anyone use my photos - not because of the money but because I don't want to undercut the market for everyone else - or the future 'me'. I was going to let the girl with the water article use one because I felt proud of it and thought it would be good advertising (for me) as long as she acknowledged me - but by the time I replied the article had gone to print and I was relieved in some ways, which is why I said no to everyone else, well, discussed the ethics and then said no. ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, I have to admit that i've not read through this thread but i've seen it and i've just had a chuckle

title, 'tiny bit of a rant' and it's still going strong after 3 days, it's not as tiny as one would think if it carries on like this :D Funny to me goodjob

I have shot free for several charities. But I do believe that jobbing photographers, as professionals should be paid whenever possible.
The problem with recent moves towards "crowd sourcing" by companies like Getty Images (through Flikr) is that it results in hundreds of thousands of amateur photographers earning a little pocket money, rather than a few thousand professional photographers managing to earning a living.
Cobweb: I agree with your comments about licensing, and non of us like Royalty Free, but RF is a huge fact of life in the photography market and has been for years. I know lots of photographers making a really good living from RF.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Cobweb,

I can see where you’re coming from, but I think your reaction was a bit harsh. What is clear is that you feel passionately about your profession and about violence toward anybody let alone women. So the manner of the guys approach was bound to press a few buttons. Having said that he did approach a professional photographer for FIVE freebies. I can imagine what my mechanic would say if I asked him for five free car services!:eek:

What came over to me was either the person’s naivety or possible adolescence. A good concept, a photo wall against violence, a badly formulated approach, couched in ‘new speak’. So while your reaction was a trifle strong I do feel it’s justified. Possibly a bit more ‘true Brit stiff upper lip’ to next one who comes along. Something along the lines of ‘I say old chap, what tomfoolery is this? Does your mother know you play with that keyboard and computer at night, speak in a civil tongue you young whipper snapper!’ If nothing else they will wander away with a deep sense of confusion and culture shock. :lmao:

Sandsnakes :)

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
...Teflon To be honest, I'm fed up with Flickr and have been thinking of getting rid of my account for a while now...

Just do it if you're not happy - you'll feel better. Competitions are better for publicity and maybe an association? AoP for instance. Good luck. 8]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE