tinkering with my solo cookset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
hope that didnt sound too sordid.

I've been tring to improve my solo cookset, see pic below, it works great but when the wind gets up it suffers a lot. I found some tin sheet lying around in the garage so I had a go at making a new windshield. I managed to get the weight down from 280g to 170g, mainly by taking the main pot out of the equation.

older cookset:
CCC38.jpg

new cookset;

vvv.jpg

vvv2.jpg

vvv3.jpg

vvv4.jpg

vvv5.jpg

I know its not pretty, but its quite effective. 15secs to prime the burner, 4mins simmer time and 5mins 30secs to boil. about 20ml of fuel lasted about 12mins. The pot can handle 400ml of liquid. The outer ring acts as a double windshield without choking the burner.

any suggestions for improvements would be greatfully received, I think I will try and figure out how to make the whole shebang a bit more stable so it will cope with windy conditions.

cheers

J

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
At sub 200g 5 minutes is not much of a wait is it! I'm trying to figure out how to make an überlightweight shield for my canister stove, good inspiration.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Looks like you have some of the aluminium printer sheets that newspaper printers use.

My Mini Trangia windsheild has writing from The News & Star on it cos I used to go out with a woman who worked there:)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They sell chip fryer baskets in the pound shop which are made form really fine wire mesh.
If you cut the heavy wire off them and line them with foil, they weigh a couple of ounces at most.
I stand my sooty pots in them when I pack my cookset, and it keeps the soot off my kit. They work quite well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE