****ting in a bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
i used to dig mine in with a trowel...then i noticed the "locals" doing way more than me and though why not leave it out for the critters...its only poop...its not like we roll in the stuff....

Feb 6, 2011
none
Good Day, everybody being a leading authority on this somewhat sensitive subject, only bears know more, i feel the need to comment . I have had many a fantastic release in the woods and wholly agree with previous posts as regards toilet paper , take more than you need and wrap the soiled in clean, discreetly make your way to the fire and dispose . As regards the deed itself i personally am a very private person and like to be left alone whilst producing , fine if you can anticipate the event , i wont go on about getting taken short by the unexpected onset due to madras , tummy upset etc we can save that for another day.But i feel the most important issue is numbers of people even in a large expanse of woodland ,thats why i think it is vital to have a designated area specifically for pooing , dont want the time team dicovering your parcel etc,and if everyone is made aware of said location, more than one if numbers and sexes require,it wont be a problem . So if you have time dig a hole, deposit, then a thin layer of either soil or fire ash to help mask the smell and sight ,and Bobs your uncle if by constant use it fills quickly repeat the process at another suitable location , seemples! I think if all follow the common sense basic hygiene approach it will be fine , and nobody should end up in the brown stuff . Ivan..

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are running a largish group camp, I'd suggest making a poo trench. Dig it not too deep, leave a pile of earth along the trench, people push soil in over the top of the poo as you go.

For group camps where you are going to have to run a toilet system, porta potties work well, just don't use the blue stuff in them. If you just use water, you can empty the porta loos into a poo trench (tip received from mate who did 22 years in Logistics, he knew a thing or two about running a camp). I've done this on a few school trips for groups of about 30.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
hahaha what about dragging yourself thru the leaf litter with your hands while holding you feet in the air ,....

childish i know, but i still laugh like mad whenever i see the dogs do this,.....

Moon-walking :)

Feb 6, 2011
none
Cheers mrcharly, handy tips there . I have 30 bushcrafters coming to my place 1st - 3rd april ,will put some of your ideas in motion, excuse the pun . i have 2 porta loos as well , thanks for the heads up on the blue stuff .

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
So what do you use if you have run out of bog roll to wipe your backside?

I know years ago as a kid I got caught short while playing in the fields and already had turtle heads so no chance of making it back home so had to use a Doc leaf since it was all I could find at he time but cant say it was very good at cleaning.

Must admit this subject is the main reason I haven’t done Bushcraft since I like to take my time and privacy when doing the deed and would be paranoid someone would walk by while your in the act.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
My wife and i were on holiday in Canada , we were having an lovely quiet walk along the shores of a lake in the Rockies when a coach full of Japanese tourists pulled into the lay by
about 30 little old men got out and ran behind a rock for a pee , this just happened to be the side we were on .
They were about 20 metres from us but seemed more concerned at hiding from the women on the bus who were taking pictures of everything.

Craig...........

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
You could take a look at the Leave No Trace Principles. Or maybe Kathleen Meyer's book How To Sh*t In The Woods, available from Amazon or perhaps borrowed from one of the good folks here on BCUK

Excellent book...bought a copy for my students when they go wilderness camping. It's listed in the 'book of interesting book titles'...not as entertaining as this thread though!!

kawasemi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE