Tillyfourie quarry, Aberdeenshire. Pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Headed out today to look round a disused quarry just along the road. Its up in the woods to the North of Tillyfourie.

Walking up from the road you pass through a strange sort of service yard, a few portakabins and shipping containers, with other odd things strewn about for good measure.

Leaving the yard you head directly uphill the top part being between 2 long spoil dumps.

The first thing that you see, apart from the tips is this old brick chimney.

tyqageqy.jpg

Neds will never learn that empty lager cans arent terribly combustible

asyruba9.jpg

Looking ahead you can see the main quarry ahead, full of water. I wonder if the chimney is all thats left of a steam engine to de water the workings. More shipping container type things, and a couple of mobile phone masts

3ajenu9y.jpg
juzy5uje.jpg
y4ebamy4.jpg

Across the water on the back wall us what appears to be guano. Further investigation required methinks. Forgot the binos so itll have to wait for another day.

uha7yva6.jpg

Took a walk round the quarry, found what look like a couple of water tanks, been out of use for a little while.

ubejarys.jpg

Then out onto the wooded hillside behind the hole

turu4ugu.jpg

Basil the dog, well, the half dog, half conpost heap took an unhealthy interest in any of this that he found. There was a lot of it about

be6yrete.jpg

Better view of the hole from round here

8yqa7y5y.jpg
yna4aryt.jpg

Further round there were a few obviously man made structures, but their original purpose is less obvious

4e4ydepe.jpg
a9ade6uz.jpg
e7y9yta3.jpg

Back round the back of the quarry, back to where I started for a sarnie, and down the hill back to the car.

Passed another pond with this little lot. No idea what it is

remyru2a.jpg

Pumps and compressor is all I could fathom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE