Tick Repellant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I know that all creatures great and small are supposed to be on this Earth for a reason, but I'm blowed if I can find any merit in ticks' existence! What's more the little blighters seem to find my blood absolutely irresistible. For example, last summer I was out with my D of E group. I was wearing long trousers and a long-sleeved shirt and I still ended up with four ticks. The seven teenagers I was with were dressed in t-shirts and shorts and didn't have one between them!

Does anyone have a foolproof method of preventing ticks attaching themselves to me? Do normal insect repellant sprays work?

Any advice gratefully received!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Bartoon,

As someone who's had his health knackered with Lymes disease I use these LINK No sprays to wash off in the rain or with sweat. Last about 36 hours each, uses vitamins instead of nasty stuff to keep you clear, works for midge and clegs too. (You do smell a bit like marmite though).

Cheers GB.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Permethrin is about your best bet, I buy mine from Nomad Travel in a spray bottle, all my kit and clothing gets a good dousing each spring. I get into to some pretty infested places on the west coast of Scotland and so far I've encountered very few.

I've heard pale coloured clothes helps too but I'm not sure if that's true or not, something to do with them preferring dark clothes when they look for a host.

Nomad Travel linky

Last edited:

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Thanks for the replies guys. I like the idea of the patch, though it does say that it has to be applied to hairless skin. That could be a problem with me (hmmmm, now which bit shall I shave?). The other downside is the Marmite smell. My Border Collie loves Marmite in a big way and as he is a constantly randy 10 month old there might be some rather unwelcome attempts at man-love if I go round smelling like a slice of toast!

I will definitely give the Nomad Clothing Treatment a go though. If it lasts 6 weeks, I should only need to apply it two or three times to see me through the worst of the tick season.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Does anyone have a foolproof method of preventing ticks attaching themselves to me? Do normal insect repellant sprays work?

A couple of days late to celebrate the birthday of the man but I couldn't miss the opportunity to use the quote.

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
- Douglas Adams, author (1952 - 2001)​

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've heard pale coloured clothes helps too but I'm not sure if that's true or not, something to do with them preferring dark clothes when they look for a host.

Another good thing with light clothing is that when you go through a patch of ticks they show up immediately and you can get them off before they go wandering/burrowing. I also carry a small mirror (it's in the kit anyway) for searching those "hard to see" parts where ticks like to hide. And for removal I don't think there's better that the Tom Twister (Unless you know the Yorkshire tick tickler technique).
Cheers
GB.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another good thing with light clothing is that when you go through a patch of ticks they show up immediately and you can get them off before they go wandering/burrowing. I also carry a small mirror (it's in the kit anyway) for searching those "hard to see" parts where ticks like to hide. And for removal I don't think there's better that the Tom Twister (Unless you know the Yorkshire tick tickler technique).
Cheers
GB.

Otom tick twister for me too, I bought the 2 pack from the local vets but only had to use the smallest one so far.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Otom tick twister for me too, I bought the 2 pack from the local vets but only had to use the smallest one so far.

I'm with Shewie here, I think that if you have to use the large twister were into "Starship Troopers" size bugs.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I also use permethrin used to get a few ticks on me that id have to remove,but since ive been using permethrin any ticks that get on my clothing just drop off without moving. As for ticks usefullness i agree utterley useless horrible little critters though my Brother with his Biologist head on says they help drive evolution.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
nikwax do a 300ml bottle of permethrin spray http://www.trekitt.co.uk/nikwax-skitostop-sprayon-300ml.ir?cName=all-brands-nikwax

might get one for my tent and clothes, must be able to buy concentrate and make your own spray? you can get the permethrin 10% from ebay america but is it legal here, could make lotts of that diluting it to .5%... heard TCP works in a spray bottle but not tried it myself

anything good and non toxic for dogs that isnt the behind the neck capsules? went funny on those last time i tried them, is permethrn OK on dogs? lethal for cats apparently

[edit]

they do permethrin 10% here http://mistralni.co.uk/products/permethrin-10pct but you want it water based to make a spray for clothes

Last edited:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
21gH0pp9NWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have one of these tick keys on my keyring, so far only used it on one on my dog, but it did the job

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa
I spent a few months living in a very heavily tick populated area, and removing ticks from dogs and people was a daily thing, I must have taken 10 or more out of my own legs and groin. We never used anything more advanced than tweezers but these are risky. The main worry is lymes disease, which I'm told can be chronic and really mess people up, though its not officially recognised everywhere as a cause. If the tick is found when it first bits and is removed clean the chance of catching lymes are very slim, even if they do have it to pass on. Apparently the biggest risk is leaving them in to suck away, or pulling them apart and leaving the head under the skin.

I found that removing ones from dogs that have swelled up is quite easy as long as you pinch it just right, not too hard, not too loose, twist it 400 degrees around anti-clockwise (i think, can't remember...!) before pulling very gently then you hear the 'tick' signalling a clean removal. then burn the little sucker.

I found my folks' cat with tics all over the ears and used neem oil on them rather than fall out with the cat by tweezering all the tiny things off its face. Neem oil works a treat. It is totally non toxic to all creatures great and small, besides those creatures which are both insects and bloodsuckers/biters. Bloodsucking parasites forget everything they are doing when in contact with even the smallest trace of neem oil. They forget to eat, drink, defecate, mate or even hold on to the skin of the host.

I checked the cat an hour after smearing a tiny speck of neem oil on its ears and every tick had vanished.

Neem does stink, but is effective in very small concentrations. Next time I'm in a tick rich area I will have that stuff smeared on my belt and boots, and make sure dogs get a bit rubbed into their undersides. After seeing how it worked on the cat I think you can't go wrong.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have been reading up on natural tick repellants. There is natural sheep dip called barrier D that smells like it is mostly neem and tea tree. Geranium smells better, but costs quite a bit more, but certainly repels them:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf400246a

tea tree kills them at certain concentrations.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304401704006132

The problem with anti-tick products is that you really really want them to work, no mumbo jumbo. A 90% repellancy rate is on par with permethrin prepartions but is it not 100%, and it only takes one tick bite to carry lymes. The other issue with repellants is that how are they tested. Drops on paper and see which chemicals make them run away or keel over dead doesnt tell you much about the behaviour of a critter that crawls up to the tips of leaves and goes for anything that moves, and then crawls about until it finds a soft thin enough bit of skin. Field tests seem to only to be carried out by the military, no-one else is really going to volunteer the risks are too great, even the military tests dont seem to test if a product stops them from biting. It is random chance you walk past a tick infested hedge where as the person next to you can be fine, so you saying havent got any ticks while using a product doesnt mean it works, you havent got hit by a bus either, it doesnt mean it also works as a bus repellant.

Permethrin treated clothing works as repellant in field tests (it is better then DEET for ticks by quite a margin). Yellow ceder, absinthe, rose geranium, tea tree, myrtle, neem and lemon eucylptus have been tested to work as tick repellants http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10493-006-9031-4#page-1.

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Permethrin isn't a tick repellant. It is an contact active insecticide. It does not stop them getting on to you what it does do is (hopefully) kill them before they bite you.

Its a horrible nasty compound - been linked to all sorts of neurological issues and highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates & fish. The impact of one of the over the counter bottles flushed into the sewer is noticeable down river ie after sewage treatment.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Those patches look worth a try, thanks for the link Goatboy.

I like them, BTW if you're allergic to Elastoplast its the same glue, so either don't use them or at least not put them on more sensitive bits of skin. And be prepared for doggies following the marmity smell.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I like them, BTW if you're allergic to Elastoplast its the same glue, so either don't use them or at least not put them on more sensitive bits of skin. And be prepared for doggies following the marmity smell.

I always have my dog with me when I'm out walking. He's food obsessed so he'll probably stick a little closer than normal..:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE