Thoughts On Mink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 2, 2007
i've hunted Mink quite abit, i use an air pistol (HW 45 .22) & mink trapi do have an airrifle (Theoben rapid .22), it's the easiest & most humane way, Mink do not follow a hunt path they are opportunist killers, if you want to try stalking it with a rifle then take plenty of snap and be prepared to not see family for a while.

GET LANDOWNERS PERMISSION

Get a humane mink trap (about £20) leave it outside for a day or 2 do NOT touch it with bare hands, bait it with 2 tins sardines 1 tin inside the trap, the other tin rubbed all over the trap to disguise your scent,sprinkle the sunflower oil all around the trap also use your gloves to handle the sardines this will take the smell away too,(i use gardening gloves) dig the trap in a bit bout 3 inches, and cover well as mink love tunnels. check the trap at least once a day preferably twice remembering not to touch it or disturb it, also while hunting mink DO NOT wear scented perfumed soaps, deodorants or aftershaves,

i have attached chains to my traps so i can lock them to tree trunks also i can lift the traps then without the critter snapping my fingers.also they stink.
a good air pistol is more than adequate to do the job, but please do not let sentiments get in the way when you have it trapped they are vicious so don't go poking fingers through the cage, one shot to the head,
i have tasted them too not something i'd recommend.
Also bear in mind if your sentiments do get in the way with a trapped mink it is illegal to release it alive into the wild again.
if my memeory serves me right you can still hunt mink with dogs IF you suspect them to be injured, but please check with DEFRA on that as i'm not 100%.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i know a chap who uses his dog to kill the trapped mink but im not sure on the legallity of his method.I wouldnt personally use an air pistol to kill anything other than mice.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
We have quite a few mink here aswell and theres been a few things on regional TV about how the local authority controls them, they seem to think an air pistol will do the trick once the mink has been trapped. I'm actually seeing more and more mink lying on the roads and i never used to. Not sure if this is a good sign or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE