Thoreau

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok hoodoo.. doc, im losing trak of all the names your throwing at us now.. can somone make a quick list of names/titles.

John J. Rowlands - Cache Lake Country
Henry David Thoreau
John Muir
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Walden

anymore??

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Everything by Sigurd F. Olson. His first book 'The Singing Wilderness' is a classic. Others include 'Runes of the North' 'Listening Point' 'The Lonely Land' and there is also a book of his quotes 'Spirit of the North'. There is a very good website by his biographer, David Backes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson is definitely harder going, although there are some good nuggets in his 'Self-reliance' essay. He knew Thoreau and it is interesting how they influenced each other. I'd read Thoreau first.

Calvin Rutstrum is good too, though his books are essentially practical guides and less about wilderness philosophy. 'The New Way of The Wilderness' is excellent - some of the info is obsolete but nevertheless a great insight in how it used to be done.

Nessmuk's Woodcraft and Camping is even older but still a classic.

I have one of Tom Brown's books but he is a bit more controversial and personally I do not think he should be ranked with the above authors.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
FeralSheryl said:
The online resources are great, but it is nicer to settle down under a shady tree with a good book.

Tell me about it. I read it first on the web and then have to buy it anyway - Books are a much more tactile and flexible resource - Can't stick my computer in my backpack and read by the fire :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Doc said:
I have one of Tom Brown's books but he is a bit more controversial and personally I do not think he should be ranked with the above authors.

A bit OT I know but what is the controversy about Tom Brown? I've heard this mentioned in passing before but still don't know why.
I've read quite a lot of his books, in fact they were some of the first woodlore books I ever read, and I've always found them very inspirational.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
simplicity - he once picked up an attractive rock to use as a paperweight on his desk. When he later realised it needed dusting, and would thus uselessly occupy his time, he threw it out the window. He only worked as much as was necessary to supply his simple needs and spent the rest of the time doing more important stuff, like looking at trees.

I sometimes think about this while mowing my lawn (a job I hate) when I could be out in the woods. Can't remember the exact Thoreau quote, but he mentioned men who think they own their house, whereas really the house owns them.

An uncle of mine once told me that you "become a slave to your possessions." I dont know if he had read Thoreau but he was spot on the money with the philosophy. Will have to have to go and explore the world of literature myself. (now wheres my glasses).

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Marts said:
A bit OT I know but what is the controversy about Tom Brown? I've heard this mentioned in passing before but still don't know why.
I've read quite a lot of his books, in fact they were some of the first woodlore books I ever read, and I've always found them very inspirational.

The tom brown conversation is one which we have had before and it often sparks 'strong' discussion.. some people feel very strongly in lots of way towards his work.. i can say i have enjoyed the one tom brown book i have read.. though some parts i must admit there are parts which surly push the bounds of what is believable for me (or perhaps beyond the bound of my comprehension i don’t know..) and there is also the fact that, for those who feel they need it, there is a lack of evidence to suggest that either Rick or the man tom brown called 'Grandfather' ever existed.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Philbert said:
...An uncle of mine once told me that you "become a slave to your possessions." I dont know if he had read Thoreau but he was spot on the money with the philosophy..
Wise Uncle. Possessed by possessions and owned by opinions, it's a liberation to carry less of both.:)

For Thoreau quotes, in the light of this thread, this one seems fitting:

How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book.
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Reading, 1854"

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Marts said:
Tell me about it. I read it first on the web and then have to buy it anyway - Books are a much more tactile and flexible resource - Can't stick my computer in my backpack and read by the fire :)
And you can't hand a battered, yellowed well read PC to a friend and say "You must read this."

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Brilliant thread, really interesting and thought provoking! Just orders Walden from Amazon about 1 minute ago, so looking forward to reading it when it arrives! Cheers everyone!

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
I've followed a lot of great threads on BCUK but this is the best by far.
I have learnt more about bushcraft and life in the past ten minutes and have'nt even read one of these books 'yet' Thanks to everyone.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
OK - I seriously can't consider reading a whole book online - Its hard enough wading through all the posts here !
I wanna cheat :D
Does anyone know of an audio book download site that might have "walden" on it or do i have to buy it on CD ?
:)
Cheers
Rich

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hi RR. Most places want you to pay for audio :(

However you can get Walden and Walking on audio HERE

You will need to get speechplugin (available on the link page) and you will have to enjoy being read to by Stephen Hawking :rolleyes:

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
Marts said:
Can't stick my computer in my backpack and read by the fire :)

Copy it on to a PDA...comes with a back light as well...I took 7 books with me to Turkey..they took up 4.5"x 3.5" x 1" and weighed a few ounces :D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hmmm then i'd have to buy a PDA and life would become even more complicated.....
Well I had a bit of a search and found it, as free audio exerts, its abridged but good stuff I don't know that i could listen and read BCUK at the same time....
http://www.simpleliving.net/simpleradio/program_walden.asp

It turns out to be a fascinating website about simple living, with lots of advice and a forum on how to simplify your life and get the most from it. Very Thoreau is seems

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE