Thoreau

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Roving Rich said:
Hmmm then i'd have to buy a PDA and life would become even more complicated.....
Well I had a bit of a search and found it, as free audio exerts, its abridged but good stuff I don't know that i could listen and read BCUK at the same time....
http://www.simpleliving.net/simpleradio/program_walden.asp

It turns out to be a fascinating website about simple living, with lots of advice and a forum on how to simplify your life and get the most from it. Very Thoreau is seems

Cheers
Rich
Nice link Roving Rich. Thanks :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
We need the tonic of wildness,—to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk, and hear the booming of the snipe; to smell the whispering sedge where only some wilder and more solitary fowl builds her nest, and the mink crawls with its belly close to the ground. At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be infinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature. We must be refreshed by the sight of inexhaustible vigor, vast and titanic ventures, the sea-coast with its wrecks, the wilderness with its living and its decaying trees, the thunder-clouds, and the rain which lasts three weeks and produces freshets. We need to witness our limits transgressed, and some life pasturing where we never wander.

H.D. Thoreau, Walden

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
raskusdrotti said:
I wanted to download these audio files to my mp3, but i only downloaded the links!! :eek:

Back to the site to work out how to do it :D

Neil

I think if you right-click on the file/ link and choose 'save target as' you should be able to copy the file itself.

Marts

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I love reading Thoreau. It is interesting to read whether or not you are interested in what he is saying and that can only be said about a few authors. It also reads like it was written yesterday and not over 150 years ago. Compare him to Poe.

I also like the little paper about The Art of Nothing, whoever wrote it. It isn't easy to follow, however.

However, I am not 100% Thoreau. It isn't easy to see what he is ultimately driving at. If you are married and have children, it is even harder. Finally, I started paying less attention once I realized I had outlived him. Still, his point of view is always refreshing. Who else would have gone on a hunting trip as a chaplin?

Some other authors that interest me because of their subject matter include Dick North, Horace Kephart, L.L.Bean (yes, he wrote a book), Colin Fletcher and several others that I can't remember the names of right now. Mostly they all wrote on outdoor subjects to one degree or another and they are all very readable. Note that I am not including Ray Jardine but that's another story. After all, he wasn't the first person who advocated making your own gear and of traveling light, not by a long shot.

I'll have to note some of those others and see if anyone else has heard of any of them.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have to say, whilst I like his philosophy, his writing can be challenging. However, I don't think that this is bad in a book - if it takes a bit of effort to read and re-read, you enjoy the experience all the more when you finally finish it.

Or perhaps I'm just a bit of a dullard...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
BlueTrain said:
I started paying less attention once I realized I had outlived him.

You lost me on that one. He died of "consumption" as did a lot of folks in those days before they had antibiotics. Same for Nessmuk. I fail to see how that negates his thinking. :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE