THIS is why we season firewood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
That's willow for you. About the wettest wood I've encountered was ailanthus. It was as heavy as lead when green but dried to something like balsa wood.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's willow for you. About the wettest wood I've encountered was ailanthus. It was as heavy as lead when green but dried to something like balsa wood.
I normally leave it a while then split but this stuff was so heavy it was easier just to split it straight away. I was getting a face full of sap each time I hit it with the maul :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's another good reason, a little bit of physics. It takes 540 calories to evaporate one gram of water >>water vapor or steam. That wet wood, if you could get it to burn, will suck up 540 calories of heat energy to send each gram of wood water up your chimney.

That's heat that you can't ever see in your house.

Now, the same 540 calories of heat energy will come from the surrounding environment to evaporate the wood water, "seasoning" the wood, we call it. It's agonizingly slow but this works to your advantage when you set and light an evening fire. Much less "fire power" is going up the chimney.

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE