Think you can handle a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As a registered BladeSports Cutter Instructor and keen participant in cutting competitions all over the world (including the World Championship event at the Blade Show) there are one or two matters being raised here that I feel I should address...

Cutters in a BladeSports event must have passed their Cutter Certification before they are allowed to compete. This certification not only involves showing that they can handle the knife competantly, but also includes coaching on how best to use the knife for the various types of cut made in competition and. most importantly, how to do so in a SAFE manner. Any cutter who breaches safety rules is automatically disqualified from the event, and may well end up being expelled from the organisation altogether.

To my knowledge there has only ever been one incident of a competitor in a BladeSports event injuring himself badly. This was (by his own admition as well as the evidence of witnesses) due to the fact that he failed to cut in the manner in which he had been instructed and taught to use for the event.
There have been NO reports of any injury to any spectator at a BladeSports event, ever.
BladeSports events have defined 'boundaries'. Measured areas within which spectators are not allowed.

ALL competition knives must be fitted with a safety lanyard, which MUST be used during the event. Lanyards are fitted in such a way that the knife CANNOT leave the competiors hand, even if released from the grip of the hand. Although this system was originally designed by Ed Schempp it has become known as the 'Osborne Safety Lanyard System'.
All knives are inspected and checked for not only size regulations but build quality and suitability for the event by the judges before any competition. Failiure to meet the standards required will automatically result in disqualification from the event.
All knives MUST be tested before ever being taken to a competition where the public will be present to ensure that any breakage happens well away from "innocent bystanders".

As to these events being pointless with regards to 'ordinary' knife usage...
Many people might feel the same way about Formula 1 racing. The cars are nothing like those we drive on the road "and it's all pointless"... and yet from that sport have come developments such as electronic ignition, turbo chargers, fuel efficiency, seat belts design, crumple zones, advanced tyre technology etc etc.
Just the same can be said of competition knives. Makers and users alike can gain insights as to effective edge geometry, weight distribution, heat treating regimes, handle design, edge retention qualities of various steels and edge types,etc etc. All these things can, and do lead to a better understanding of how to make a better 'everyday' knife for more general usage.

I have had more than one man take his Cutter Certification with me who has come back to me at a later date and admit that only after doing so has he felt truly confident using a large knife for various 'around camp' tasks as he had a better understanding of how to do so SAFELY. They have also found that they are using the knife more efficiently as well.
For some reason (I know what I call it, but I'll let you make up your own minds) just because people have grown up using a knife of some sort to eat their dinner with ever since their mothers stopped feeding them they seem to feel that automatically know all they need to know about how to use a knife for any task they might put it to. Believe me, this is not actually the case and tuition can help people to use these, as well as other tools, SAFELY and COMPETANTLY.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
form a H+S POV i'll ask Ian the next time i see him and let you all know as he's a friend
I would assume that to run comps like that in this country there will need to be significant risk assessment undertaken to cover both venue and liability insurance
but as per usual if you not happy don't watch, don't go, and instead of conjecture find out what the real picture is in this country so you can form your own informed opinion.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Sorry for the aggro this has caused Longstrider. I never thought this would start such a heated debate.
Personally I would love to get certified as a safe knife user and feel it would be useful to know you had been shown how to handle a knife safely for every eventuality. I am very sorry if the responses here caused you any concerns and if the BB day does go ahead, remind me I owe you a couple of beverages (when the sharps are all put away of course).
Keep up the good work. If I see an event ever advertised, I'll look you up. Keep me posted on any UK events please, as I am sure that several other open minded members would also like to attend.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I apollogise for contributing to the way the thread shifted focus, I do admire the skill displayed in the sport and no negative views toward it at all.

Southey

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
How the hell did that car miss him. Wasn't shaken though, took a picture before running to help!
eye, yeye, yeye, yeye. yeye. Did any cars get round that corner?

Those rally close misses are really scary. I wonder how many spectators get taken out a year.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I do wonder how the human race survived before H+S risk assessments, litigation Lawyers and training courses to tie your shoe laces.;)

Be careful out there:cool:

Yes, I'm properly terrified. I'm sure the media has been paid off and is keeping secret all the deaths and injuries that have occured due to this activity, especially the helpless children. Thank god we have the internet to spread the fear.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
but I'll be getting in touch with local government in Atlanta about it.

For Gawd sake, what business of yours is it to go and try to tell the Americans Authorities they are doing things wrong (according to you)? I am sure they are quite capable to put their oar in all by themselvesif they wish. Those guys like playing with big knives...big deal. I am sure if they like it so much, they are going to make sure they don't chop their fingers off, or so much as scratch a spectator, simply because they'll want to be able to do it again.

As they say, Life is a terminal disease.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I do wonder how the human race survived before H+S risk assessments, litigation Lawyers and training courses to tie your shoe laces.;)

Be careful out there:cool:

It's actually been proven that British kids are now amongst the most sickly and physically and mentally under developed children in europe and it is almost certainly down to H&S beurocracy and claim culture folloed by TV advertising telling us germs are bad etc. We now have introduced an "acceptable risk" policy at work which could do with being rolled out in real life..... Planet earth is DANGEROUS and so is living on it. If you play with knives, getting cut is an acceptable risk, if you climb mountains, falling is an acceptable risk. Risk assessments have their place in say the forestry industry or building trade etc, but not for picking your nose !! it's time we all started using common sense again. Unfortunately common sense isn't too common anymore, thats why we see schoolkids forced to wear goggles and gloves to play conkers..... It's safety gone mad !!
This is how the H&S dudes would have you living your life

kgdxo00svn.jpg

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
No-one is forcing them to attend.

As people have shown already, trust me, motor sports much worse. At a scramble I have actually seen the stand taken out.

The big problem with sports and H&S is mainly that the figures do not add up. The rules governing a lot of martial arts etc have nothing to do with deaths or injuries. I think the most dangerous activity is scuba diving, not sure what the most dangerous for people watching, but bet rally cars would be up there.

This actually looks interesting, if for no other reason than, but officer I am going to practice and here is all my information.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
it's time we all started using common sense again. Unfortunately common sense isn't too common anymore, thats why we see schoolkids forced to wear goggles and gloves to play conkers..... It's safety gone mad !!
This is how the H&S dudes would have you living your life

well The H&S dudes you refer to are not the HSE as they think kids should play Conkers
Look HERE

The people who ban these things are people who do not understand H&S.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point

The problem is also that the emphasis has been put on people having "human rights" but people have not got the message that with rights/freedom should come responsibilities. So nowadays "I have got my rights" turns easily into "I am going to sue someone" make some quick dosh, so everybody tries to cover their backs and implement the most ridiculous rules to try and prevent being sued because little Jonny got a splinter in his finger in woodwork...

And there are plenty of unscrupulous "lawyers" prepared to do just that, you only have to look into any local rags to find them.

Anyway, apologies about the rant/rants...I am just sick and tired of people doing their best to tell me how/what/when/how many times...etc I should be doing it, and telling me, tutut, what you're doing is dangerous Dear, you could hurt yoursef...

The way I still see it, and that's obviously the old fashion way, is that if I cut myself, that's my own stupid fault, if I trip on the pavement, my own stupid fault as well, should have used my eyes...

Just.... go away, look in the mirror first, and mind your own bli/blip business...

Arrgh, that's another rant....:rolleyes:

That's it: I'll keep quiet now.

I know I said I'd keep quiet, but... What they're doing wouldn't be my cup of tea..but then, running down a hill after a lump of rolling cheese wouldn't be either, but it sure is fun to watch:)

Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
The big problem with sports and H&S is mainly that the figures do not add up. The rules governing a lot of martial arts etc have nothing to do with deaths or injuries. I think the most dangerous activity is scuba diving, not sure what the most dangerous for people watching, but bet rally cars would be up there.

The drive to the dive site is more dangerous than the dive itself.

well The H&S dudes you refer to are not the HSE as they think kids should play Conkers
Look HERE

Quite right, the HSE have a very valid place at work, unfortunately they seem to get blamed for misinterpretation of their rules/guidelines.
Many of the headlines blaming the HSE and/or H+S are down to very high insurance costs or peoples misconception of the risks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE