Things that just blow you mind.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Animal Camouflage

owl.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
http://mindblowingfacts.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/blue3a_620x350.jpg
Known as “The Glowing Lake”, the phenomena is quite a unique tourist attraction. There is however an explanation for this. The lake is swarming with tiny microorganisms, called Noctiluca scintillans that have a natural luminescence. These organisms glow a ghostly blue and give the effect that the lake is glowing. The concentration of bioluminescent organisms it would take to create this “glowing effect” within the lake is extremely rare and is a very unusual concentration to find anywhere in the world. - See more at: http://mindblowingfacts.org/2013/07...-that-glows-in-the-dark/#sthash.T1A8hGWg.dpuf

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Currently, the thing that really does blow my mind is how the Gift-it-on-Thread seems to cause some people to cease functioning; it'd be difficult to come up with anything more straightforward and simple, yet time after time it seems to cause a complete collapse in logical thought...................................?

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Following on from LeedsBrew's post all the atoms that your body is composed of are millions, if not billions of years old. When you die, they will be recycled as something else.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Currently, the thing that really does blow my mind is how the Gift-it-on-Thread seems to cause some people to cease functioning; it'd be difficult to come up with anything more straightforward and simple, yet time after time it seems to cause a complete collapse in logical thought...................................?

Here here to that fella

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
That Quantum theories state that everything is linked. Change something here and something potentially millions of light years away has to change to compensate.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My wife has recently acquired a large 'exercise' ball it is 65 cm in diameter, my young daughter has a small ball which is also a globe of the earth, it is 9.7 cm in diameter. I mentioned to my daughter that the larger ball would be similar in scale to one of the outer planets.

Of course she immediately replied "which planet daddy". So keen to identify the planet nearest in scale and to perhaps place that planet on a local map relative to a places she knew (such as her grandparents house sixty kilometres away) I set to work and came up with the following...

Diameters - balls

big ball - 65 cm
earth ball - 9.7 cm

Diameters - planets

The big ball at planetary scale would be 85385 km in diameter and there are none in the Sol system. The two nearest in size would be Uranus and Neptune.

Earth 12,742 km
Jupiter - 142,981 km - 787 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 6 km).
Saturn - 120,536 km - 1 430 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 10.9 km).
Uranus - 51,118 km - 2 880 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 22 km).
Neptune - 49,500 km - 4 550 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 34 km).
Pluto - 2360 km - 6 090 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 46 km).

Disappointed that I could find no object at the same distance as her grandparents house I tried a hunch and came up with this...

Voyager 1 - 18 657 630 000 km from earth this morning.
(which on the local map would be 142 km)

This tiny microscopic man made probe is now more than twice the distance between home and granny's house. That blew both our minds.

:)

Edited to add:

At these scales the nearest star would be…

Proxima Centauri - 39 900 000 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 303744 km or seven and a half times the circumference of the earth or almost as far as the earth to the moon at perigee (363000 km)).

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My wife has recently acquired a large 'exercise' ball it is 65 cm in diameter, my young daughter has a small ball which is also a globe of the earth, it is 9.7 cm in diameter. I mentioned to my daughter that the larger ball would be similar in scale to one of the outer planets.

Of course she immediately replied "which planet daddy". So keen to identify the planet nearest in scale and to perhaps place that planet on a local map relative to a places she knew (such as her grandparents house sixty kilometres away) I set to work and came up with the following...

Diameters - balls

big ball - 65 cm
earth ball - 9.7 cm

Diameters - planets

The big ball at planetary scale would be 85385 km in diameter and there are none in the Sol system. The two nearest in size would be Uranus and Neptune.

Earth 12,742 km
Jupiter - 142,981 km - 787 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 6 km).
Saturn - 120,536 km - 1 430 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 10.9 km).
Uranus - 51,118 km - 2 880 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 22 km).
Neptune - 49,500 km - 4 550 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 34 km).
Pluto - 2360 km - 6 090 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 46 km).

Disappointed that I could find no object at the same distance as her grandparents house I tried a hunch and came up with this...

Voyager 1 - 18 657 630 000 km from earth this morning.
(which on the local map would be 142 km)

This tiny microscopic man made probe is now more than twice the distance between home and granny's house. That blew both our minds.

:)

Edited to add:

At these scales the nearest star would be…

Proxima Centauri - 39 900 000 000 000 km from earth (which on the local map would be 303744 km or seven and a half times the circumference of the earth or almost as far as the earth to the moon at perigee (363000 km)).

That's a cool project to do with your young un :)

I once made a scale model of the universe with earth being as big as a drawing pin head. People stood at the sun and the planets stretched out over a field. The field wasn't long enough for all the planets so we marked where the other planets would be on an OS map. Can't remember the distances we covered as it was nearly ten years around that we made it but I remember it blowing my mind

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE