Thick self inflating mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I've been checking out a few thicker sleeping mats online to put inside a Dutch army hooped bivvy, has anyone tried or own one that they'd recommend I'm talking about the foam filled ones not the mega expensive down filled ones. How bulky are they when rolled up as I'm attempting to travel a bit lighter than previously ie without a camp bed, but trying to still be comfy.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Depends what is said , if someone states "you got to get one of these there fantastic" id perhaps push the boat out but so far the ones I've seen are about £30 to 45 for ones ranging from 7.5cm to 10cm!!

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Does that mean as the name implies that you can add or remove layers , are we talking about your mega down filled matress coz there wouldn't be any use trying it coz I can't afford one !! Sadly . :(

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
AlpKit Fat Airic or whatever it's replacement is called, been using one for a while now and it's incredibly comfortable.

Mine straps down the side of my Bergen or Sabre 75 or I roll it up then unroll it inside my pack and use it for side walls in the rucksack

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Having just spent 4 days on my exped synmat 9LW I can say its the most comfortable sleep ive ever had outdoors. I did get it with birthday vouchers but I would spend my own cash on it in a flash.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Having just spent 4 days on my exped synmat 9LW I can say its the most comfortable sleep ive ever had outdoors. I did get it with birthday vouchers but I would spend my own cash on it in a flash.

I just did... heard too many good reports about these mats that I decided to get one for myself :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Does that mean as the name implies that you can add or remove layers , are we talking about your mega down filled matress coz there wouldn't be any use trying it coz I can't afford one !! Sadly . :(
NOT my down mat - no one borrows that!
A self inflating foam mat that was designed for the armys NW ridge of Everest attempt - puely for luxury at base camp!
Too thick for use in a hammock, it lives under the bed in the spare room and has not been used in ages. It comes with a cozy fleece cover. I am not sure that they were ever made in big numbers ... this one might even be for sale at a very reasonable price....

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I paid £15 for a full length thick self inflating mat from Clas Ohlson. Its a smashing bit of kit- in olive green too. I think shortly after i bought it the price went up to £30, but occaisionally they do a deal price on it. still worth it at £30 i reckon. Not overly heavy and bulky- about twice the size/weight of my vintage 3/4 length thermarest- and it is far wider, longer and thicker.

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=169629668

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Another vote for Alpkit. I have the fat and wee airics for a few years and both have lasted well. The FA weighs about 1.6kg I think but is thick, warm and comfy.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I won a Exped syn mat on Ebay very recently for £26 from a company that sell alot of them!! It is the 7cm thick one and classed as short, but its still 165cm in length so not that short!!
Weighs in at 600grams, comes in its own sack and is mega comfortable!!

I can try and send you a link to there Eay shop if you like?
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE