the wonders of sphagnum moss.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
i learned a valuable lesson the hard way last night. me and a friend went onto dartmoor for a hike an thinking we were above the element and had a good idea of the lay of the land went very ill equipt. no camping gear or compass. all we had was a packup an some water and a small pen knife. long story short the mist came down and we lost our way and couldn't find our way back to the van. we took refuge under a tree and made a bed from sphagnum moss and got sarnied in it and shivered all night. being a stubborn (expletive deleted) i was deturmined we would make it out alive in the morning. thank god for that moss.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There is a moral to this Im sure.

Dont go on Dartmoor unless accompanied by at least half a dozen D of E aspirants....

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
ha ha, :)

Sometimes nights like that are the ones you'll look back on with the most fondness. Next time take some whisky and you'll be fine.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
you should have headed for ivans meet you could have slept in the spare tent seriously though i hope you have learned the lesson of the wise scout (BE PREPARED)
REGARDS DAVE

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
i'm just thankfull that i know some basic survival skills. keep out of the wind. stay carm. insulate yourself from the ground and most importantly stay warm. we found a tree with a natural trench under it with plenty of moss to raid. i will never go out without my basic kit again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE