the wilderness gathering- whos going??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I might be going, as a couple of my friends runs stalls there. BUT they have warned me that I would have to dress in silly clothes, and carry a large knife or axe for no good reason at all, or I would stand out from the average Jo there who they say seems to need a big knife, simply to walk around stalls in a field.

Is that a fair description, or are they pulling my leg about folks carrying knives to walk around a field?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
I might be going, as a couple of my friends runs stalls there. BUT they have warned me that I would have to dress in silly clothes, and carry a large knife or axe for no good reason at all, or I would stand out from the average Jo there who they say seems to need a big knife, simply to walk around stalls in a field.

Is that a fair description, or are they pulling my leg about folks carrying knives to walk around a field?

i was going to take my kukri.... dont actually know why, unless some chav pulls a tiny flick knife so i can go "thats not a knife! this is a knife!!" .

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
the demonstration/event things, do you just watch or can you join in? i assume you just watch because they are free.
dave budd will be there... eeeeexcelent!!! :D :D :D will have to have a natter about forging!
what will the difference be between the blacksmithing and the iron age blacksmithing?? and when are they on?

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Scorpio.

i was going to take my kukri.... dont actually know why, unless some chav pulls a tiny flick knife so i can go "thats not a knife! this is a knife!!" .

That was a real laugh out loud moment.......And a lucky escape for me, as I had just put down some Vimto I was drinking. ........Top post! :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
It will be good to catch up again fella!
You shareing space with Dave?
I am going to have to give one of your knecker setups a test I think mate!
See ya soon.
Chris.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the demonstration/event things, do you just watch or can you join in? i assume you just watch because they are free.
dave budd will be there... eeeeexcelent!!! :D :D :D will have to have a natter about forging!
what will the difference be between the blacksmithing and the iron age blacksmithing?? and when are they on?

yep demos are free and some run workshops that have a fee. I'll be demonstrating forging with my Iron Age forge setup (based on excavated examples and actual archaeological evidence) as well as doing sharpening demos/service.

The other blacksmithing one will be somebodyelse; in the past it has been either a modern smith with the classic hand-cranked late/post-victorian forge making tripods and the like as a demo. The last year or two there have been forging workshops using a setup that the guy describes as Iron Age but is infact a modern ethnographic interpretation of what smiths in the developing world are using where they have our crap to recycle ;) (though he still came over to correct my archaeology/forge :rolleyes: :slap: ). I think the latter offers a workshop in forging firesteels and things, the only reason I don't is because it is too much time and effort to go to for a half arsed job of teaching (so people have had a go with him and then booked courses with me, which suits me fine thanks :D )

I think I'm in a different location to normal this year. Usually I'm in the small craftsmens' field, but the lady owner of the farm doesn't like the small amount of scorching I leave behind, so Rodger is putting me elsewhere. He mentioned that I will be in the main arena, which will be perfect; I just hope he hasn't put me outside near the lake with all the blooming hippies! :nono:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Give me a bell when you get there bro, I'll be there for the duration with Dave and Ash :D

Shame you can't do a boozy night ;)

Will do bro!
My life has taken a rather sad and challenging turn which is why I havent been in touch.
Maybe we can all grab a lunch time bottle of beer?
I cant get there untill friday and would love to stay over but cant aford £75 for one night and Roger doesnt do reductions.
Give my best to Ash.
Cheers mate.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE