The Wife's Ring ,..and a few other bits. (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
:rolleyes: Evening folks,..

started messing about with a bit of hawthorn, i,ve only ever made a spoon with it and although its very pale, it has a pretty grain.

IMG00883-20120822-1907 by Raikey1, on Flickr

so just on a whim i bored a hole in a bit and started working it out a bit

IMG00885-20120822-1916 by Raikey1, on Flickr

got the hole sized first

IMG00886-20120822-1928 by Raikey1, on Flickr

then just tinkered away until i got here,...
ok i know it looks like a salt and vinegar Hula Hoop

IMG00887-20120822-1950 by Raikey1, on Flickr

just finished it with a bit of 400 and a little polishing mop in the drill,...

the bar of red polishing compound has inadvertantly passed on a red hue to the wood, Doh!,...although i reckon its brought out the grain

DSC03483 by Raikey1, on Flickr

i dont know how strong it'll be ,

i reckon it could handle ironing my shirts, carrying shopping bags, and making my tea, much more than that i dont know,..

DSC03485 by Raikey1, on Flickr

oh a few more bits while im on flickr,...

found some drift wood on the beach at Gorran Haven and made this simple spoonysporky thing,..

dont know what wood it is,...its "Oaky" but has a thin soft core so i,m at a loss,...acacia maybe?,..anyway,...

IMG00874-20120811-1130 by Raikey1, on Flickr

bit of birch with a bit of spalting,...

i wiled away a few fireside hours finishing this,...

IMG00875-20120811-1130 by Raikey1, on Flickr
tried to get the walls as thin as i dare without cracking,...it holds a decent dram but leaks through the end grain if i dont drink it within 5 minutes,..

IMG00876-20120811-1131 by Raikey1, on Flickr

another bit of birch,...

used a hot bbq skewer to burn the birch leaf into it,...

i,m quite proud to say this was started and completed entirley whilst drunk,..(or whilst entirely drunk,..same thing hah)

my mates mrs called me a pagan ponce when she saw it,..hahahah

IMG00877-20120812-1026 by Raikey1, on Flickr

i left the bark underneath for a few reasons,

i was drunk

it stops it leaking

i wanted it to be identified as birch to keep the theme,...

IMG00878-20120812-1026 by Raikey1, on Flickr

i think thats all,...

thanks for looking and enduring my ramblings,....

cheers

Stu,...

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
ohh nice work stu the woodlore knife investment payed off then :)
really like the grain on the ring
did nt take you as the wood working type after seeing your skill with an axe alone ;)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ohh nice work stu the woodlore knife investment payed off then :)
really like the grain on the ring
did nt take you as the wood working type after seeing your skill with an axe alone ;)

ok ok,...i lose a little bit of thumb and noone will let it drop,....

haha,..hows your thumb by the way,..?...i hear you had to have fluids and everything as the burns were so severe,...

just rumours mind,...hahahahagagagagagag!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Lovely work on the ring. Don't think i have seen anyone make one of those before. Nice one. :)

The other stuff is good too :)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
haha its bad mate thought we were going to have to call out international rescue with there 6 wheel atv to get me out but i stayed strong and never mentioned it once all weekend. think i maybe scarred for life and oil and swarfega rubbed into everyday aint helping it much.but not going to mention it...untill the next meet :D

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Lovely work. By the way forgive my ignorance but what wood is your knife's scales? I love that wood.

its birch mate,..

i,m not sure of the finish though,

its not stabilised either, i think i remember being told theyre treated with birch resin/tar,...?

no doubt someone will correct me if i,m wrong.

cheers

Stu..

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
very nice stu, i've made a couple of rings like that one, they're a pretty easy way to win brownie points, but they do tend to break fairly easily. although, that might not be such a bad thing, she always thinks that she's upset me when she breaks them and then feels compelled to cheer me up somehow. win, win, win, win, win :)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
very nice stu, i've made a couple of rings like that one, they're a pretty easy way to win brownie points, but they do tend to break fairly easily. although, that might not be such a bad thing, she always thinks that she's upset me when she breaks them and then feels compelled to cheer me up somehow. win, win, win, win, win :)

hahaha never thought about it that way Stu!,,,

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
its birch mate,..

i,m not sure of the finish though,

its not stabilised either, i think i remember being told theyre treated with birch resin/tar,...?

no doubt someone will correct me if i,m wrong.

cheers

Stu..

Thanks chief, looks kind of hypnotical, almost like it's under a stream, beautifull knife. Lucky you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE