The very best military surplus kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
i once got told that mora knives were issued to the swedish army but im not sure??

They are. Different from company to company (or in my case squadron to squadron), we got some cheap red handled carbon ones. Others I know have gotten clippers and some got the 2000.

My best surplus kit is the swedish army winter scarf in grey wool. It's tubular knitted so you cut of the ends and cut it in half, and suddenly you have two woolen buffs. For under a pund! I use some other stuff from the SDF too, that I forgot to return when I left. The thermal shirt (wool power 600) was used a lot before it got worn out. A cutlery set was really great, felt like real cutlery. Socks and winter socks are great two.

I don't intentionally buy surplus, I buy what suits my needs to a reasonable price. Most surplus stuff is too heavy and to ill-designed for my needs. Note that I haven't bought so much kit the last years...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
37 patt bd trousers,
58 patt poncho
58 bottle/crusader cup/and pouch
68 patt trousers
mod knife
headover
dpm windproof smock
swedish snow smock(dyed)
'' '' '' army trangia/mess set
canadian o/g windproof trousers.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Not sure of the model but in the 80s I had a German army sleeping bag which had sleeves and a zip across the knees so you could walk around without taking it off. Superb bit of kit which got worn out after about 10 years of solid use. It weighed about 3 stone and filled up my blue external frame rucksack no problem but I still loved it.

I wouldn`t dream of carrying one today though

isnt that a sniper sleeping bag ?

Dec 16, 2007
58 water bottles. SS crusader mugs, Dragon supplies airbourne bergan and webbing.

S95 shirt
Windproof smock both in DPM and Desert only £25 each from BMS new.
SA SS trangia
Issue bivi bag
58 poncho
thermarest.
Army tree beater (Golock)

This kit I use when out with the ACF but do swap it with civvi stuff like the HH hammock.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
British Army Bivi Bag ...excellent
US waterbottle/cup and cooker
US M65 jacket and liner (great pockets)
US metal spoon ... big and yet light

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
actually can i add the ubiquitous brown placcy spoon from the US Rat packs?
i had a whole stash of these, in fact lived off em for a weekend once whilst out airsofting and i found that you just end up with all these brown plastic spoons in wrappers cause you generally keep the first one you use. they're damn good tho pretty bomb proof.
pete

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
.. what are the best pieces of military surplus kit you have ever used. They can be from any military and any type of kit (please no Warrior vs Bradley).

My picks...

US Army Poncho liner
US Army canteen, stainless steel cup, and stove
Panama Tread jungle boots

Mac

In no order -

Altama Panama sole jungle boots
SAF DPM bush jacket
Australian Army mug
DSCN3904.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE