The time has come the Bushcrafter said.. Light weight rucksacks. Most of my kit is old and ex-military at the age of 70

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Most of my kit is old and ex-military. At the age of 70 (rapidly approaching) with one new hip, another on the horizon plus the possibility of the odd knee or two I am questioning and re-examining my kit choices. Looking for a true lightweight 80l rucksack that will not fall apart. What's out there people and available in the UK? Doc. PS I can highly recommend Poland for replacement hip surgery:):emoji_thumbsup:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Old kit can be lighter the old 1st model berghaus crusader was lighter than later models. But I’ve heard osprey is good.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Saying that you old stuff is still good maybe like me it’s fitness and body weight.
It is with me at least, if I can improve those 2 I can still use my old kit and therefore save money. As well as enjoying the kit I’ve already got.

There you go saved you hundreds !

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Switching to lighter kit as you get older, especially if you have health issues makes a lot of sense. Youngsters don't realise that the strain of heavy kit, let alone daily wear and tear, over the years, takes a toll on the body, no matter how strong or fit it is.
I've swopped out many things to lighter weight stuff, and I've found that a hammock , once you've found the right one, makes life so much easier, and gives a much better pain free night's sleep. A hammock is my preference nowadays, and I can have it up and ready much quicker and easier than a tent with just a few little tweeks to the basic set up, ( daisy chains for instance.)
If I'm on the floor, I have to have a good air bed. I've tried a few, most are too narrow for me, so I've got the treckology one, which packs very small, light, easy to blow up with the pump sack, (although I'm thinking a flex tail pump might be a nice idea) and comfortably wide.
No point in flogging yourself to death, there is nothing to prove anymore. Time to be kind to yourself, and your body, and lighten the load.
It doesn't have to cost hundreds, most of my stuff is second hand, and cost peanuts compared to the new stuff. Only the mat is new. Even my hammock set up is second hand.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I’ve seen a few YouTubes of older people complaining the new rucksacks don’t fit as well as the older examples like berghaus, especially around the hips.
Lighter kit is good but always seek advice from those who have the product you find and a try before you buy if possible.

I swopped my rucksack for the mark 1 crusader from advice on bex bugout survivor. Bought one of eBay and it’s the best thing I did, so light and wide enough for me.

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Hats off to you, Doc. 80l full o kit with the dodgy joints n all! I'm sure you have your kit dialled but I thought I would mention a few things that have helped me find a good solution.

Firstly, really light packs might not help if they don't distribute the load well for you so I'd go try a few with your usual kit in.

Secondly, have a look at what you carry and see if it could be smaller/lighter/omitted altogether.

Lastly, could some kit be stowed elsewhere on your person/another person.

For the ultimate lightweight pack, try one of the custom makers who work with cuben fibre. Or even DIY.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to know what you come up with.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
List your gear by weight and start spending money on the heaviest items and before that decide if you really need something. By the way taking 60 l bag you just can't stuff in as much as into a 80 l one.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Consumables don't count towards the base weight ask any through hiker....:banghead:
True but since I don’t carry about 8 cans and sometimes a bottle or drink like I did I feel better. Always carried minimal kit, with the exception of three old favourites.

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I bought a load of lightweight equipment last year - tent, cookware, sleeping pad. Total game changer but I didn't get as far as upgrading my rucksack, partly because the new tent is so compact that I can get by with a 25 litre rucksack I already have. Previously I was using a 65 litre ex military rucksack which I love but it's undeniably heavy.

Reactions: Megatramp

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The same got lighter kit just can’t find a comfortable rucksack find the modern rucksacks too narrow. Hence buying a mk1 crusader. Can’t say why just doesn’t feel the same. Guess it’s what you like, prefer or are used too.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
find the modern rucksacks too narrow
As far as I understand it is because climbers use those, I have no idea why. Also some military ones are narrow as it is a bloody nuisance to carry AT weapons anywhere but the sides.

I don't see any factual reason for that, I guess it is the coolness factor mostly. Hmm ... there is one legitimate reason, if one is using poles, skiing, snowshoeing, walking then some but not all wide ones are not very handy.

Reactions: MikeLA and Ozmundo

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
It’s balance and body mechanics for climbing/walking on steep ground. So the experts tell me.

Depending on what you are doing I’d try to save weight on other items rather than the pack.
For example moving through undergrowth and having open fires verses trail walking.

Saying that Backpackinglight UK stock some UL but durable gear. The owner actually uses it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE