The T.A ....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
As an aside I was a bit like widu13 I was MDed out (active service injury)after 11 years in the regulars. I couldn't get into a TA unit because of my MD.
When I came over here I tried to enlist but got bumped again for the MD.
So I guess as some say its a calling not a job. But I loved every minute of it.
Best thing is go talk to them and spend time seeing what they do.
Good luck.
Jon R.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I tried to join the AuxRAF but failed my medical.

They found my Aspergers (something I had not heard of until then)

So I have to thank them for that.

But the relationship between the auxRAF and the real thing is better than the TA/army.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
seems like most things have been said already...but if you want info about grantham pm me as my unit is there and it's a transport unit aswell !!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've tried it and didn't like it. My perception was of what it would be was different to what it was.

The officers obviously really wanted to be in the regular army but treated it as a joke at the same time.

I must admit that I would be more reluctant to join up now with the worry of being deployed as my reasons for joining were more about the experience than the end game of actually potentially being in a situation where I might hav to be shot or shoot at someone.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Tengu is correct that, in general, the RAuxAF works more closely with the regular RAF than the TA does with the Army - I've served with both TA and RAuxAF, as well as being a regular.

Whilst the TA is based at self-contained training centres, RAuxAF units are invariably located on RAF Stations, and in my experience feel more integrated. My Sqn always worked extremely closely with the regulars, and there was none of the STAB/ARAB nonsense that sometimes still happens with the Army - though most have now realised that the current tempo of ops is unsustainable without the reserve forces.

One thing I noticed when on exercise and operations is that TA personnel are sometimes misemployed by regular units; being used only as guards, or in the stores, or any other job the regulars didn't want. This probably isn't true across the board, however.

The minimum time committment for the TA is 1 evening a week plus 12 weekends a year, and a two week annual camp.

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Ok, I have been in a TA Infantry regiment for nearly 3 years now :)

I joined for a few reasons, to improve fitness, to learn some new skills, navigation/fieldcraft etc, the experience (every man wants to ran around a muddy feild firing a weapon and shouting!) my driving license, general opportunity (going america next year :D).

First of all, if your main reason to join is for your license, go to a logistics regiment, most of our drivers in the infantry have been brought in from the logistics. About the high and mighty twats, yeah you will find that, especially in the your phase one training. When you finish your phase one in the infantry you then go to Catterick ITC for your CIC course, and the difference between the TA training staff and the regs was staggering, yes the TA training staff do a good job but they are obviously trying to prove themselves, where as we had some crazy scottish and welsh regs doing our CIC and yes it was hard but the quality of training was superb and dare I say, enjoying? haha.

If you join, come with an open mind, as nothing is as it seems. When I first joined and waking up at 4am to do stagg, I asked myself why the f00k had I joined up, but almost 3 years later I have made some invaluable friends, my company, my platoon are all great guys and can only say good things about them. We have a good few stories too!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thanks guys, erm, you still missed the point / I didn't phrase it very well.

I'm an open minded person, and can do and / or cope with most things. Yes, I'd like to come out with a class 1 (for free) and yes I'd like to see some incentives too. I've no problem with being deployed, that's what you sign up for - it's your job.

Like I said though, I'm not exactly army barmy - but I'm open minded, and it would be a new challenge to me. I didn't realise there was a limit to the time you could spend working with them, saying that though, 100 days a year is nearly 1 in 3.

You seem to have taken me for a bit of a ****** who's only in it for the driving license and anything else I can get, it's partly true - and why not!? you're voulenteering to go to war for your country, they should look after you! so to speak. I'm sorry if that's how it seemed though, I'd also be interested in my side of the bargain of course but that's not what I wanted to know about. But thankyou to those who gave me a straight answer.

C

Chitterne

I'll walk away from the joke opportunity presented by people using terms such as 'RLC' and 'soldier first' in the same sentence :D

A couple of people have given similar advice to the following:
. The best thing for you to do is visit your local TA barracks. Do not listen to anyone who isn't/hasn't/ or no intention of ever joining up.

They're spot on.

Although, theoretically, an Army Careers Information Office/ Armed Forces Careers Office can advise you on the TA, the only way to really find out more is to go along to your local TA centre...if nothing else, the ACIO / AFCO should be able to tell you when and where to turn up for a chat with your local units (ask about 'National TA' opportunities too. Different to 'Regional TA'. May, or may not, offer you more what you're after than a local 'Regional' unit)..

Nothing wrong with wanting to get qualifications out of joining -most Arms and Services are fully alive to this 'need'....and most have spent considerable time and effort mapping all their military courses into NVQs and other civilian qualifications to try to meet that need.

Also nothing wrong with seeing the Army as a source of steady employment. It is.

.....And don't put too much store in the 'it's a vocation/calling' line. Whilst for many it is, or becomes so, many many people join for no better reason than to get a job.

Worth also pointing out that, as a member of the TA , you will be eligible to apply for 'Full Time Reserve Service' jobs -commitments from a few months to 5 years on Regular terms and conditions of service -including housing.

Finally, not a TA expert, but I'm under the strong impression that the TA 'max commitment' is 220 days per year (rather than the 100 that's been mentioned).

Bottom line. You've probably already decided what you're going to do. Just do it. You won't find greater certainty by asking on a web forum :)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Code:
I'll walk away from the joke opportunity
presented by people using terms such as 'RLC' and 'soldier first' in the same sentence :D

Finally, not a TA expert, but I'm under the strong impression that the TA 'max commitment' is 220 days per year (rather than the 100 that's been mentioned).

Your certainley not an expert as 220 is wrong and on your first point I'm sure the Commando Log guy that very sadly died recently in Helmand probaly wouldn't agree with your RLC gag.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
do not try to put a serious spin on a joke ment to be taken at face value, he would have found it very funny,as any soldier, airmen or sailor dead or alive would.END

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I'll walk away from the joke opportunity presented by people using terms such as 'RLC' and 'soldier first' in the same sentence :D

Cracking joke opportunity, well spotted.

321%20EOD.jpg

C

Chitterne

do not try to put a serious spin on a joke ment to be taken at face value, he would have found it very funny,as any soldier, airmen or sailor dead or alive would.END

Thank you Southey.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK

Spot On!

Every military unit has terms which describe other units, usually not in the most polite of terms, its all part and parcel of the spirit of the unit.

Pity that the thread is turning the way it is, twisting a statement said in good faith!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No probs, for my two cents worth,as said by others I think november rain you need to get the info from the horse's mouth, it is the only way of being sure of facts and figures that apply to your chosen trade, in my experiance TA soldiers that i have served with have had the same profesional attitude towards the work they did as we did, you do get idiots but you get them anywhaere else so no difference, you never know you might end really liking it and join up for a tour as a regular. i think your right if you look at it as "what can i get out of this" why not, they would expect you to pay the ultimate, so why not get quals in return. i'm off for a whisky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE