The story of the axe and the elbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Hi guys I know a few people have mentioned about finding axe heads at car boot sales and I thought I would post up my latest purchase.

I was having a stroll round the local market today and came across a small hatchet.

axe001.jpg

I brought it home and had a little bit of a clean up on it and found these markings on the head.

axe003.jpg

If it is not clear from the picture the markings are

PARKES
BIPED
There is a symbol of a pair of legs and feet on it as well.
There is also another embossed mark on it but I can't make it out.

The axe was pretty grotty when I got it and clearly has had a hard life and at some point the head has been repaired.

axerepai.jpg

The grain of the handle is pretty poor as well but the head is not loose onto the shaft.

Grand total for this was £2.00

I intend to work on it and see how good I can get the blade but I can see this is going to take some time.

Oh and if you were wondering about the elbow bit in the title:

elbow.jpg

This is the result of a snow boarding accident a week ago hence it might take a while to get the hatchet project underway.

Any ideas on the heritage on this type of axe or advice on restoration / snow boarding greatly received.

Muddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ouch - did a similar thing going over a mini ski-jump on a plastic "shovel" type sledge a number of years ago.....thought I had bust my elbow.
Hint - do not use your limbs as landing gear in ice hardened snow conditions...but I guess you might know that by now.... :D
Nice looking tool though!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
lol found something similar at my granddads garage (along with loads of pick axes...and guns...) except much larger and longer with a 6lb head.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
It looks like I have put me elbow into a plate of chicken tikka masala.

The elbow isn't that painful its the bust rib that is giving me the real problem at the moment.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah - ribs is BAD!
Had my fair share of those busted too, Karate, carcrash, falling off my van, fights (both "play" and real)and teaching the Wife how to look after herself... but thats another story!
Did 2 of mine last Easter - just before going to walk Hadtians Wall!
Try not to laugh - that is when bust ribs hurt most!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John, you can't say.....

.... without going into much more detail - it sounds like a story worth telling........

Well......

Ogri the trog

Unloading my canoes, feet slipped on the "fixed" ladder on the back ..I caught the top of the roof rack with my hands...ribs met the ladder rather hard...2 busted ribs!

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Parks are a good make I have a billhook by them, holds a great edge. With a bit of work should be a great axe. Dont forget to show is the after pic aswell.

Mark

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like it'll clean up nice. Robin Wood put up a cracking thread about re-handling axes if yours isn't right.

Ribs rearly are bad news when broke. Busted mine a few times in trees and at martial art. The pain creeps up on me after a few days feeling ok, then breathing, laughing moving and walking is a real pain in the ...errm side

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok guys just need to bounce this thread again.

I have been working on the Parkes axe and I have a few questions that I could do with some help with.

The grind on this axe seems very wide. I have sharpened and honed it to the point where it will cut paper but a few test swings into a stump shows that it tends to strike wood in the same way a maul axe head would.

I'm not sure whether I need to narrow the grind of the blade with further filing or this is the standard type of cut for an axe like this?

The test swings showed up another problem. The head of the axe was loose and as the grain on the handle is a poor as it gets, I have removed it.

I thought while the head is off the axe it will make it much easier to do the heavy duty filing work.

The axe head has been repaired at some time in its history and the advantage of removing the shaft reveals that the weld repair has been undertaken with a great deal of skill.

Here are the photos

axe002.jpg

axe003-1.jpg

The other axe head in the photo below is my next project. Again it's another market find and I have done some work on it already.

axe001-1.jpg

It has stamped on it 1 1/4 S (crown symbol) J UK (think it is Spear and Jackson)

Final shot

axe004.jpg

Again any advice and info here chaps is always a help.

Any info on this axe head again gratefully recieved.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE