"The Road" movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
"Viggo Mortensen (left) was presented with the Empire Icon award by Sean Bean. The star said fans could expect his forthcoming adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road to be "pretty gruesome"."

Taken from the BBC News website's coverage of the Empire film awards.

Should be interesting :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It's a movie I'm looking forward to. The film has been directed by John Hillcoat who's previous work 'The Proposition" was apparently pretty good.

the-road_l.jpg

Some stills from the movie can be seen here.

The text on the above blog site makes reference to a "nuclear winter", this is guesswork on the part of the blog writer, the book does not specify the cause of the cataclysm that has struck the world, however Amazon reviewers and blog writers are very keen to promote various theories.

The story is about the relationship between father and son, son and father, the fact that it takes place in a dying world is incidental.

A précis can be read on Cormac McCarthy's official site here, avoid the wikipedia entries for the book and film as they will spoil the ending for you.

:D

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I read the book quite recently, and at times it affected me quite badly (maybe I'm a bit too sensitive at times).

A very good read. I hope they do it justice.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
The book is fantastic, it has no asperations from being a "road" book. The film is one i'm waiting to see.

The Proposition is a fantastic film i heartedly recommend aswell.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I read the book quite recently, and at times it affected me quite badly (maybe I'm a bit too sensitive at times).

A very good read. I hope they do it justice.

Same here bud. I found it an engaging but traumatic read. A brilliant book but don't expect to read a chapter and then put it down; there are no chapters!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The trailer for the movie version of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' in now available online...

here,
Or some HD options may be found here.

Unfortunately it looks like the trailer was put together by someone from the MTV school of movie editing, however based on the previous work of the Director John Hillcoat we can probably expect a quieter and more studied final movie.

:)

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I read this book at the Cornish RV whilst under canvas with my 10yo son. I read it by the light of a glow stick for added drama!
It made me think about a lot of stuff and question if I "could" if it came down to that situation.
Well worth the read.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
well ,after reading the posts and recommendations of this book and seeing the trailer thru the link someone posted i went and ordered the book looking forward to getting into it . hope it comes up to scratch!!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
After I read this thread I got the book from Amazon for £2.99. Wow! Not a film for the squeamish I would think.:eek:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I read The Road about 6 months ago and was a bit disappointed with the writing style. An interesting premise and an engaging story, but it's dark nature and total lack of hope would be a challenge for Hollywood. Total lack of hope isn't strictly true, in the book the boy does remain optimistic that their encounters with other survivors could still be positive, but I'm not sure that is enough for a typical Hollywood blockbuster formula. The rest of the world and what's left of it's population, is completely devastated. A perpetual winter, everything burned, everything dead, nothing growing, no food, cannibalism, desperation, severe depression and suicide. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it - as a potential screenplay, it has been said to be unfilmable. I can see why. The book makes no attempt to explain the nature of this post apocalyptic world, it's just a treatise on the relationship between father and son laid on a background of death and utter desperation. I wonder if or how they have changed it to make it more palatable for a mass audience? As a drak european arthouse film, I can see it working, but I cant see it fitting in Hollywood without significant directorial and storyline changes. At least they havent got Schwarzenegger and Macaulay Culkin in the leads.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE