The postman was kind yesterday, got a delivery from down under.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The postman was kind yesterday, got a delivery from down under.

A alvey side cast reel and estuary rod, I have wanted on for YEARS since seeing them on Rex Hunt fishing adventures on Discovery don't ask me why I am going to give it a test run next weekend.

alvey-side.jpgalvey-front.jpg

I have it mostly for Eel and flatty bashing sessions, but it seems capable of dealing with larger fish.

Attachments

• alvey-side.jpg
    alvey-side.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 21

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I want one of those reels as well ! wanted one for ages but they're a bit big for coarse fishing really.

if you're into side cast centrepins, have a look at the Angler Scout range, old reels that you can pick up cheap on the 'bay but work really well, I use one all the time.

Enjoy :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
This is my first side cast to be honest but I have high hopes for them, I do know Alvey make a course version it's small but look's interesting enough that I may try and find one.

I bought the rod as part of the combo I might if I can find a but guide sutable enough make a rod with a slightly longer but grip though.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
The Alvey is not unknown among the Yorkshire Rock angling lads. Apparently, they're ideal for skull-dragging large fish from the cliff marks.
Hope you greatly enjoy using it. I think I remember that particular RH program, very "gimmee"
Ceeg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
They are great powerful reels, don't cast as far as a fixed spool or multiplier though, great off piers, boats harbour walls that sort of thing. Thhey are built to last and take a lot of abuse

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
There is a 'freshwater/Course' version available (there are some going on eBay at the moment) Shakespeare/Alvey Lincoln Reel. I've used one for many years, originally as a backup for my Arial Pin reel when fishing the Trent and more recently for ponds, it's really nice to be able to fish the lighter lines for silver fish but to know that you have the control afforded by a centrepin if one of the daft Carp picks up the bait and makes a run for it. the side cast works well and I have even chucked a feeder out with it on occasion, the only problem is if you actually use the side cast for every chuck especially on running water (where you are continually winding in and recasting) it does have a tendency to cause line twist, much in the same way as when you load a fixed spool reel incorrectly when replacing line or filling the spool. the secret is not to try and wind in too fast. with a normal pin because the line comes off the same way as it is wound back on (if that makes sense) you can 'bat' the reel from underneath to wind in very quickly without actually touching the reel handles but with the Lincoln (used in conjunction with the sidecast facility) it pays to retrieve a bit more slowing to allow the potential 'twist' to sort itself out. I would not be without mine and the only way I know they are on eBay at the moment is because I was recently looking for another one because for pond work especially I actually prefer it to the Arial.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Here's the full set of angler scouts I've got. Certainly with the bigger ones I can cast as far as a fixed spool and as mentioned they are great for pond work, over and above my Hardy Conquest.

WP_000369.jpg

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
What size is that small one?

As I said this is for Flatties and Eel's on the Mersey so distance isn't a issue really I am going to retry a mark I last fished when I was 15 / 16 for some eel's next weekend it's going to be quite interesting to see how it's changed over the years.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I suspect one of the biggest changes will probably be in the number of Eels, certainly over here on the East coast and in the East coast rivers they are very few and far between.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I know from other marks I fish the eel numbers should be stable this mark though (for me at least) has a reputation as eel city (i'll post pics an any one slightly familiar with the city will know where it is) so only time will tell.

Other fish numbers in the Mersey are on a huge rise though, it's about the only decent thing the wind farms in the bay have done it make it impossible for trawlers to get close to shore.

EDIT;

It's a shame the eel bread in the Sargasso and are not afforded the local protection.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Unfortunately it’s not just a case of ‘local’ protection in and around the Sargasso Sea, they need to be able to live, survive and thrive for anything up to 20 odd years (and longer) in waters such as ours BEFORE they even attempt to return to their breeding grounds. There are lots of things effecting their numbers, some that are known, some that are suspected and probably many more that as yet have not been looked into. A fascinating fish and hopefully one that will get the help it needs from all quarters before things get beyond the stage where it can be saved. On the brighter side it is a problem that has been noticed and there are certainly projects and measures being attempted to help it. Oh, and I am not in any way having a go at anglers or anyone in particular, I’m an angler myself and I have certainly caught and then eaten plenty of Eels both Jellied and Smoked.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

Saw that one, intresting little reel and for the pric you can't go wrong I might get one to restore.

Unfortunately it’s not just a case of ‘local’ protection in and around the Sargasso Sea, they need to be able to live, survive and thrive for anything up to 20 odd years (and longer) in waters such as ours BEFORE they even attempt to return to their breeding grounds. There are lots of things effecting their numbers, some that are known, some that are suspected and probably many more that as yet have not been looked into. A fascinating fish and hopefully one that will get the help it needs from all quarters before things get beyond the stage where it can be saved. On the brighter side it is a problem that has been noticed and there are certainly projects and measures being attempted to help it. Oh, and I am not in any way having a go at anglers or anyone in particular, I’m an angler myself and I have certainly caught and then eaten plenty of Eels both Jellied and Smoked.

Of that I am well aware, there is so many factors we have yet to understand about the reproductive cycle of eel's it's mind boggling.

And yep they are facinating creatures I have two books on them on the go at the moment Eels by James Prosek and Eels by Christopher Moriarty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE