The poacher. fireside musings from wiltshire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Depending on where you come from the poacher will mean different things,to some when they hear the word poacher think of the illegal taking of endangered species for their valuable parts in places accross the globe.African wildlife has over tha last centuary suffered incredibly at the hands of the poacher,in a960's Uganda there were 800 black and white rhino but by 2003 they were extinct in that country,similarly the great apes of the central african jungles have suffered,who can forget the film 'gorillas in the mist'?
281x144_ivory_pile.jpg

In the United states poachers are regardd as the lowest of the low,some might say scum.The US suprisingly will go to any ends to catch poachers,the washington dpt of fish and wildlife actively seeks to encourage citizens to report poachers offering rewards of up to$500.00 on its website.No poaching signes are a common sight in many national parks.
ethics_no_poaching.jpg

And yet in the country considered the home of law,Britain, there is a diferent view of the poacher,ask folk what they think of when you say poacher and generally they will talk of a mischevious country carachter,garbed in flat cap and trench coat concealed within a secret pocket rabbit or game,evading the village constable and having the respect and hatred at the same time of the lords game keeper.Intrestingly the word poach is derived from an old french word that meant pocket.
history_emerson.jpg

The poachers bushcraft has become part of british folk lore,who hasnt heard tell of trout tickling ,snaring conie or noosing roosting pheasants? or the addidge 'one for the pocket and one for the pot'.For many poaching was ,and in some cases is,a necesity to supliment a poor income.In my fathers childhood food was scarce in the war years and meat scarcer still,cept for the times when he and his sisters would go poaching rabbits on the chalk downlands of Salisbury.Not so long ago in Salisbury pubs best part of a weekly bar tab maywell have been payed with ill gotten game!
The real poacher is a conservationist and lover of gods earth,he knows his 'patch' 'manor' intimately,every set,den,warren and nest he knows ,and if he is a fish man he knows his waters well,where the brown trou will lay under the willow and the salmons reds.His hunting and bushcraft skills are famous,taking conie and game in the simplest of manners and with what apears to be ease.I once knew an old boy who could catch a hare by its ears! but then he had been doing it for 70 years since he was a boy working the fields before and after school.
The poachers skills were recognised by even Winston churchill,during the war years when nazi invasion seemed iminent ,churchill formed his 'secret army' of would be resistance fighters.Mentioned in his plans was the recruitment of poacher who "...know every nook and cranny of the land and can walk the woodsand copses silently..." and of course knew how to shoot streight.Tis funny to think that the countrys trusted last defence was the humble poacher!
poacher.jpg

Admittdly many will feel uncomfortable with the mention of 'poacher',as in more recent times there have been spates of the bad sort of poacher whoes sole motivation is greed,they work sometimes in gangs taking valueable deer for little more than its rumps,leaving the rest to rot.they arent realy poachers they are little more than theives,cirtainly theres no intention of one for the pocket and one for the pot in them.
Yes poachers are meligned the world over ,but remember theyre not all bad. should you one day by chance see an old shifty looking chap in a quaint country pub longdog at his feet and the locals sniff and mutter poacher,remember once he was churchills and your countrys friend.
drapkin_poacher.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And youve got the cultural differences there....

Africa = Cultural Imperialism

N America = Captialist Greed

Britain = Theres Enough For All

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thanks for the kind words.the prints are from the net,theres 2000 available to trawl through on a yahoo image search! just enter poach,poaching or poacher,and wait for a LOT of pics of cooked eggs!!!!!
fishy1 yes i do post the same stuff on different forums,but in my oppinion some things are worth sharing.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not sure that the content of another forum is relevant here surely?

Interesting post fishfish - thanks

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In general I do agree with you gentlemen, but a link to an *Adult* site would be Modded as unsuitable for a family friendly forum, theoretically, would a link to a site that advocates or promotes illegal activity be any more suitable?

regards,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must confess I had a quick look on to fishfish's site and the rules seemed quite clear - not to advise or endorse anything illegal - although discussions of "old" techniques and things that happen in other countries is okay (same as here). I haven't read the site in detail though - I do plan to have a better read though - some of the historical stuff I do find fascinating in the same way I do with so much of Patick's stuff.

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I'm a member on Justins forum and all illegal activeties posts are removed if posted,it is still legal in the uk to hunt and lamp vermin ie rabbits,rats ect with dogs,hunting vermin with dogs is exempt from the hunting act.

bernie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The UK has different laws across the country.
I think in Scotland the hunting with dogs is more tightly proscribed, though I don't know about England, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Channel islands or the Isle of Man.

I'm going to leave this one to one of the Hunting Shooting and Fishing Mods.

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So, Toddy, if I posted a link to one of my sportscar forums, would you allow it?

The sort with rather robust attitudes to speed limits (and other aspects of our motoring law...lets not talk about nitrous, shall we?)

Because cars are more of a threat to our wildlife (and everything else) than poaching, surely?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Tengu, it's correct that cars are more of a threat to wildlife than poaching.

Why shouldn't people link to a forum that does not encourage illegal activity and is mostly about a love of the countryside and discussion of the old ways. As far as I'm aware, most thing discussed are either pre-ban, in countries where it's legal, computer edited pictures or written down dreams.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So, Toddy, if I posted a link to one of my sportscar forums, would you allow it?

The sort with rather robust attitudes to speed limits (and other aspects of our motoring law...lets not talk about nitrous, shall we?)

Because cars are more of a threat to our wildlife (and everything else) than poaching, surely?

Tengu if the site you link to openly advocates breaking the law then yes I would consider the site at least dubious and if there were no effective moderation I would ask you to remove the link...........I don't think which particular law it breaks is really the issue, is it?

I have no down on poachers as in the wee guy round the corner and his mate who very efficiently take out rabbits from around the castle, pigeons from the viaduct or the odd goose from the pond they salt with barley, but I have real objections to poorly skilled and inhumane hunters who leave wounded beasts in pain and distress.
It only needs one screaming banner headline of traumatised beasties for the gp to start to demand that all hunting is made illegal, so lets try to keep things on an even keel, shall we?

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Alas, a lot of car forums not quite advocate this....

Nor will we mention the triumphant pics of a gatso some nameless entitey has slain...

Its not just sites, some printed mags are no different

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE