The Parry Blade Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I went shopping for a survival knife and came back with this.

Parry Blade:

[video=youtube;pO3GOmcXMYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO3GOmcXMYg[/video]

Please feel free to comment and subscribe.

Last edited:

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
They had my interest right upto the point when they said 440 stainless steel..... A soft easily bent, chipped and blunted steel, I had a few knives made from this material back in the 80's and can't recommend it. Unfortunate as the design looks interesting.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the steel aside, the knife looks like something from the 80's! I can't say that I like it as a useful general purpose knife personally. Of course, its all personal preferences

heavy to carry
short blade, so not so good for chopping despite its weight
short saw back(they don't work)
recurved blade is a sod to sharpen and not actually useful (except on a larger specifically designed chopper)
'nail puller', hmm assuming you can get it over the nail then it is asking for a bent/snapped blade
gimping on top and bottom asking for abrasions and even cuts on the hand
handle shape looks a bit bellied to be comfortable over long periods, but that depend on hand shape too
Heavy over sized pommel, get in the way sometimes I suspect as well as counter weighting the blade (thus negating further the idea of a chopper)

there are other things I don't like about it, but I've gota go to work and make some proper knives ;)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
the steel aside, the knife looks like something from the 80's! I can't say that I like it as a useful general purpose knife personally. Of course, its all personal preferences

heavy to carry
short blade, so not so good for chopping despite its weight
short saw back(they don't work)
recurved blade is a sod to sharpen and not actually useful (except on a larger specifically designed chopper)
'nail puller', hmm assuming you can get it over the nail then it is asking for a bent/snapped blade
gimping on top and bottom asking for abrasions and even cuts on the hand
handle shape looks a bit bellied to be comfortable over long periods, but that depend on hand shape too
Heavy over sized pommel, get in the way sometimes I suspect as well as counter weighting the blade (thus negating further the idea of a chopper)

there are other things I don't like about it, but I've gota go to work and make some proper knives ;)
But you know its the only knife you would want in a 'situation'.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Sorry, but I'm far from impressed with that. I don't think I'd come across many nails while I'm down the woods, if I did, then a rock would be my hammer.
I see nothing there that my billhook wouldn't do in half the time, with less effort.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I was genuinely shocked when Ben Orford uploaded a video review of one of these knives on his youtoob page! Not my style but it clearly appeals to some people. :)

If it were my design I'd add an extra third to the blade length and use a tougher steel. 420/440 when heat treated right can be pretty decent but a non stainless steel (like 1095 or even better L6!) would be much more superior for a large/er tool like this.

Is this knfie really £200+..!? :eek:

If a big mean knife was on my buy list I'd rather one of these for half the price..

and spend the other half on holy water, silver bullets and powdered turket beak.. to ward of those vile beasts of darkness! ;)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Not for me, it might be better in a scaled down version. Even for a survival knife I wouldn't go bigger than 5.5- 6 inches. Above that size, I'd get a machete.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, can't see any practical reason for that over a billhook which is almost a tenth of the price.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't get the need for the triangular hollow in the blade. As has been said, I don't reckon on finding too many nails in the woods and I certainly never carry them, so why remove a triangle of steel in the blade?

I'm not sure about the massive pommel on the end either. As Dave Budd mentioned, its counterweight effect will compromise its function as a chopping tool and may well limit the number of ways in which the knife can be held and used.

The demo was very enthusiastic and positive but, personally, I'm not sure that the Parry blade merited all the high praise. Not one for me, I'm afraid.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Everybody to their own I suppose ,just looks like a useless bit of tat to me
I will stick to an axe to do my chopping, a knife for all my cutting, (and a claw hammer to hit and remove nails with ,why on earth would you want this feature on a knife)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE