The Outdoors show at Birmingham NEC ft Ray Mears and others

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Chaps,

I heard about this today. The event runs from Friday 16th March - Sunday 18th March. I have booked for the Saturday when Ray is giving a 1 hour lecture, here is the blurb...

'Through his unique collection of photographs, Ray will take you on a journey to some of the most extreme corners of the world, sharing his experiences over the past 15 years in the making of his television programmes.'

There are loads of other lectures and interesting stuff going on.

I didn't spot an existing thread and thought many here would be interested.

Click here for details

Matt.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
looks great, especially the Blessed lecture, awesome bloke...Blessed for King!

the RM lecture looks like a slightly stripped down version of the TW t'other week, well worth catching. Inspiring, and has a couple of belly laughs, love it.

now if Kate Humble was there....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I went a few years ago because it hosted the final round of the world bouldering championships and was sponsored by The North Face - I thought hell yeah! but it was rubbish, the climbing was tucked away in a corner, there were no real discounts anywhere for anything, the "tent city" was about 5 good tents and about 20 cheap AND nasty family ones... in short, I was unimpressed.

I hope this years is better for you and they have improved things.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Squidders said:
I went a few years ago because it hosted the final round of the world bouldering championships and was sponsored by The North Face - I thought hell yeah! but it was rubbish, the climbing was tucked away in a corner, there were no real discounts anywhere for anything, the "tent city" was about 5 good tents and about 20 cheap AND nasty family ones... in short, I was unimpressed.

I hope this years is better for you and they have improved things.

Don't think I've missed a year yet.

Last year I wasn't impressed.The "small" guys seem to have been priced out and there wasn't the same interest for me.

I'll give it one last go this year.If it is still full of rich peoples holidays in foreign countries I'll not bother again. :(

Oct 17, 2006
corby northants
I went last year for the first time i liked it as it was all new to me and i had just started conoeing and kayaking and i subscribed to the first bushcraft magazine. I will go again this year as i want to see Ray Mears and i want to see the new tents for this year as i need a new one. :)

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
I heard about this today aswell. Came with my 'climber' magazine. Ill be going to check out some tents, climbing equiptment and hopefully plenty of bushcrafty things!

And ofcourse the legend of ray mears... :rolleyes:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There's also an outdoor travel show based in London I went to a couple of years ago - sponsored by the Daily Telegraph. I think it was the 'Adventure Travel Show' or something. That actually sounds a lot better than the one in Birmingham.

I really enjoyed it as it had a lot of lectures by writers, explorers and photographers, and also 'advice sessions' on kit, travel, etc.

Again, unless you're with the press or you can get in early, there's not a lot of 'free stuff'; however, I did enjoy my day there.

www.adventureshow.co.uk is the address of the main site.

Rod

On a new journey
If you are going with the intention of hearing RM :notworthy :headbang: ;) , my advice will be to get to the lecture area as soon as it opens. Otherwise you will not get to hear /see him. The exhibition safety staff have very strict instructions to keep aisles and ganyways clear for Health/Safety/Fire Regs

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Indeed Rod,

The fact that Ray is there on Saturday is the reason I booked. We are setting off at 6am and intend to be right up front ;) Can't wait :D

Matt.

littlebear

Jan 16, 2007
Bristol
I bought my ticket for the Saturday to see Ray also, I'm going to get some kit whilst up there also want to have a look at the Tentipi Varrie 7 from Nordicoutdoor, hoping to get a Gransfor wildlife hatchet too.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I hope outdoorsmagic won't mind me hijiacking their offer :eek: . Anyway, anyone planning to go might find this useful:

OUTDOORSmagic Ticket Offer

To buy a pair of show tickets for any of the three days for £10 each instead of the normal £12 or £14 if you choose to buy them on the day, simply go to the OS Outdoors Show web site at www.theoutdoorsshow.co.uk and click on the 'Book Tickets' link.

When you get to the booking page, enter the code MAGIC2 into the code box and press validate. You will then get the option to buy the discount tickets. Simple.

Cheers,

Ted W

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I really wasn't impressed last year, and agree with BorderRiever's comments. However, I'm helping to take a group of Explorer Scouts up this year, and if they come away more enthused about the outdoors (and getting out and doing stuff), then I'll be very happy.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Chaps,

Just received an email from The Outdoors Show with a new promotional code. Enter the code 'friend' and you then get the option to buy tickets at £8.00 ;)

Matt.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
any like minded south wales types going up (split the fuel) before i try to drag the wife and sproggs up ?? (im just below brecon by the way) on satuerday ofc.
thanks for the link (surprized there wasnt a b,c,u,k, discount organised)

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Im going on saturday this year as well. As others have said I am hoping they will have sorted last years problems.

If you havent been before it is worth taking a bag/rucksac for any purchases and all the freebies - carrying a plastic carry bag all day can be a pain - and drinks/food are quite expensive - worth taking a bottle of water/sandwiches
See you there! :)

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
I was lucky to win a ticket in a competition so I was hoping to go on Saturday - only have to pay for the petrol now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE