The Man Who Eats Roadkill.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
A video I found last night about a chap from Bodmin, the title is self explanatory.
The badger stew looks quite tasty.
[video=youtube;OQvt-gxbq5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvt-gxbq5E&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Happy trails...torc.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Erm, eccentric to say the least, I don't think it would take much to push him over the edge, as for the stew, looked nice but of all the parts of an animal the head would be a last ditch for me.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Um.... I'm not sure there's an emoticon to express how I feel...? I do applaud his views on not wishing to waste meat and I also hate the thought of animals dying in vain. However, a three month old badger?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That bloke has also been on the receiving end of some very threatening phone calls. Especially when neighbours' pets go missing.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
I've been doing this for ages, fox and badgers are always done in a slow cooker, I don't pick up old kills or too squashed, but if its in good condition it goes in the pot, skins are tanned and made into things, bones and teeth are made into jewellery.

Waste not want not :)

G

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been doing this for ages, fox and badgers are always done in a slow cooker, I don't pick up old kills or too squashed, but if its in good condition it goes in the pot, skins are tanned and made into things, bones and teeth are made into jewellery.

Waste not want not :)

G

Good on yer - I approve. I can't do it though as lifting a dead fox, let alone a badger, is just about impossible for my rheumatic hands. Have done birds though, small enough. Why is everything much heavier when dead ???

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I loved that, thank you for posting. He made some very good points about restaurants wasting meat. Free meat is right out there.
He didn't seem crazy to me at all, just somebody sensible who knows why he does things.

I think he would make a great supervillain too btw.:D

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
He reminded me of Harry Hill for some reason LOL. Seemed like an OK guy though.

The last two pheasants I found the GF was in the van and wouldn't let me bring them home :( one had only just been hit and was still flapping it was that fresh. She has a bit of a phobia when it comes to still feathered birds :rolleyes: Don't think I would pick up a badger or fox mind,unless I was really hungry.

xylaria

My household eats roadkill occasionally. I remember when this bloke was first shown, he does come across as slightly mentally not right, and it is more than just the film makers been sensationlist. The badger he collected was no where near a month old, he didnt seem to harvest much meat off it either. Also please anyone else, dont ever gut a skin on road kill in your kitchen. I treat everything like it has ticks and fleas, they fall off dead animals looking for live, we keep a bin bag in car to pick stuff up, and it is skinned and gutted outside. the guy in film doesn't seem to really care about his own safely but his house must crawling. Also it is pretty common to have to dispose of roadkill after the gut has been broke, it is not a smell that I would want in my house.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

... Also please anyone else, dont ever gut a skin on road kill in your kitchen. I treat everything like it has ticks and fleas, they fall off dead animals looking for live, we keep a bin bag in car to pick stuff up, and it is skinned and gutted outside. the guy in film doesn't seem to really care about his own safely but his house must crawling. Also it is pretty common to have to dispose of roadkill after the gut has been broke, it is not a smell that I would want in my house.

Very good points! Thanks for the heads-up.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Something about his comments on cannibalism and his interest in trying out that human leg would make me a little nervous to come across him in the middle of nowhere at night.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Interesting idea of waste not want not but not sure of his morals since I get eating road kill since its wild free meat same as if I shoot rabbit or pigeon but he had Domestic Cat in the freezer. He wouldn't eat his own but someone else's is fine?
Not sure how he would feel if he lost a loved pet to find out someone made a meal out of it.

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
If my wife cooked for this forum, you'd all end up eatin' road kill. :(

I felt rather sorry for him especially after he mentioned his ex wife and the religious episode.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I eat road kill. Mainly deer. I picked up a Roe buck only a month ago. I have muntjac often grazing my garden. But only take them as road kill. I have a book called "the original road kill cook book". By B. R. "Buck" Perterson. ISBN 976-0-89815-200-5. It is a little extreme for my tastes and is focusing on typical American species. It explains best way to RUN OVER animals with minimum damage to your vehicle. There are recipes from Curbside Cat, to Asphalt Armadillo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE