The Longest Day.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well what a perfect day.

My friends in the village are off to a Cuban Brothers concert up in Inverness today and asked me to look after their dog Ben.

Decided to take him a bit further for his early walk as I'm trying to build up my strength after my operation. So packed up my rucksack with some extra weight and wandered 'round to pick up Ben.

As always he was happy to see me an ran off to show me where his lead was just in case we were going to go straight out. So clipped in we left by the back gate, passing the current and gooseberry bushes which are pregnant with a promise of a bumper crop this year. The strawberry beds were looking vibrantly green despite the bleaching effect of the sun, the berries are starting to blush making them look inviting despite my usual feelings of apathy towards them as a fruit. I love the smell but always feel the taste is a bit of a let down unless they're the wee wild ones or spruced up with some fresh milled black pepper.

Out of the gate and crossed the back road, little or no traffic at the best of times but today it was deserted. Once over Ben get's off the lead and wanders off, ball in mouth to wait at the bridge for me to throw his first retrieve of the day.

The hedgerows and path sides are particularly verdant at the moment, the bank of thistles are taller than me at the moment and the meadow sweet has a mass of flower buds waiting to open and flood the air with their ambrosial scent. The serried masses of wild raspberries are showing glimpses of things to come, the ranks of green hard future berries peeking out from their leafy canopy teasing me, letting me know that one of my favourite wayside snacks will soon be ready, all plump and sweetly tart to stain my fingers as I fill my punnet for taking home for a breakfast treat.

Bird life is all around, the swallows are evident with their shadows crisscrossing my path as they scoop up insects. Sitting in a hedge is a fledgling house sparrow, dosing in the heat of the sun with its mouth agape and a tuft of down sticking up from the top of its head. Off in the distance three buzzards are riding the thermals above a patch of woodland.

Get off the path and into the fields, there's a narrow path worn into the rushes, but it's not wide enough for the sticks I'm having to use so I have to change my stance as I'm walking which makes the rucksack sway a bit 'till I find a rhythm and settle down. With the ball thrower I'm sending Ben scuttling about into thickets of rushes and wild flowers and he's having a great time. But it's so hot that he's soon panting and it's time to have a wee rest by one of the many streams surrounding the village. Being a typical spaniel no sooner does he see the water than he's in. Having a drink and cooling off. The little trout in the stream shoot of for cover from this furry invader. Further down the burn there's a dipper making it's way against the current, popping up for a breath and to get its bearings here and there.

Cross over the burn and wander towards the feral apple trees, there's some proto apples forming and afters last years good harvest I'm looking forward to another this autumn. All along the fence line the vetches are sending up their shoots; the searching tendrils clinging to the wires and other plants reaching for sunshine. Make a mental note of where they're coming up strongest as it's another favourite snack, that fresh pea taste always freshens the mouth as I wander about. And for some reason though they're a small wee morsel they seem to quell my hunger out of all proportion.

Been out for a while and not only is Ben pretty pooped but my hip is starting to get tired so it's time to turn around. Also I can smell that my skin has been soaking up the sun - I'd left my hat in my bag. Back at the house Ben is fed and watered and I decide to stay out in the garden and watch the bees busying themselves amongst the flowers while having a well earned cider loaded up with ice. Ben's not finished yet and soon a tennis ball is dropped in my lap and an expectant face is looking at me willing me to throw it. So between bites of my sandwich and cooling gulps from the cider Bens ball gets thrown and the birds and insects go about their business.

I stay out 'till after the sun has gone down but it doesn't really get totally dark at the moment. The ground warming my bare feet as the days heat is radiated back towards the sky.

I hope your solstice was as good as mine; it wasn't really that productive in a bushy sense, but it was lovely to be out and re-enforce all the places in my head where wild foods and resources can be found in the gathering times yet to come.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

ATB,
GB.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds cracking Mate

also sounds like the hips improving. thanks for sharing. The description of your trip is really good. I could almost be there

Glad you enjoyed it mate, I'd forgotten my camera which was a pity as the detail in the light today was great. And the colours of the wild plants, dappled orchids and other flowers was lovely to look at. If you squinted your eyes the meadow was like an impressionists painting. Just about to fill up the water bottle and head out for another wander as there's a certain dog looking at me with a lot of expectation. And I want to have a look in the woods as I'm sure I could see some fungi that are worth a closer look in case there's something edible in there for breakfast! Strange after all this dry heat but the thought of a wild mushroom omelette is making my tummy rumble.

Did you get out for the solstice yourself?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely day :D
Sam's right too; we were almost there with you :D Thank you.

I spent a big chunk of mine through in Menstrie at a Tartan Day, demo-ing natural dyes as used for the wools used to weave the tartans. I met Stuartf and CraigM, Terry, JFW and family, Monarch, and at least a dozen other folks I hadn't met for a few years :D
Talked myself hoarse, hugged squishy :eek: and then home to go out to dinner with family before my big brother heads back home to Australia.
Beautiful day :D

Delighted you're getting out and about again Colin :) not much beats a spaniel or a collie for wanting to run all day :)

atb,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Mary,

Sounds like you had a cracking day, sounds like I would have had fun at that event, between that and the post about the music festival at the Crannog Centre there's so much I would've liked to attend. It's nice getting together and reinforcing the bonds of friendship on these important days.

Ben's a good companion on these walks as he's very considerate to the leg. He can tell that it's not quite right and is vary attentive. The suns warmth is making his limp from his bust up leg almost unnoticeable. He's a good stand in for Snoop on my wanders.

Nice that your getting some family time in before your brother heads back. And that it's warm enough that he'll barely notice how much his bloods thinned from spending time in Oz. I've a great book called "The Bush on Boot and Ski" about an ex customers of mines time in the Blue Mountains of Australia. Think you'd enjoy it if I get a chance to drop it to you sometime.

Hope you continue to have a great year, especially now the nights are drawing in:eek:.

ATB,
Colin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
First time my SIL has actually seen Scotland in sunny weather :D I was so pleased.

It was a lovely day, and it's been a beautiful cool night too, I had a wander around the garden about 3, and you were right, there's no real dark just now. It's already promising to be another beautiful day, though I think I kind of got my quota for sunshine yesterday, I'm staying under the trees today :eek: Might go for a walk early though.

The Queen's baton's coming through Bothwell and Uddingston this afternoon, so might wander up to have a nosey at that.

Walking Ben will get you out and about and steadier on your feet than almost anything else, I reckon :D
You're right about the fruit; masses of wild strawberries here, and wild rasps just starting to be pickable. Definitely cranachan for pudding. I find I can have soya cream with mine and it's still good :)

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just back from the morning wander. No-one else up and about at first; why waste such a glorious day in bed when there's so much to see. The quiet is enhanced by the background murmur of birds as they go about their morning. Sparrows flitting amongst the rushes hunting orb spiders to feed hungry mouths back at the nest. Arial displays of swallows, those perpetual motion machines of the sky as they hunt, a thrush that's found a massive slug caught unawares as it crossed open ground and two male sparrows forgetting territorial disputes to enjoy a good dust bath.

The meadow sweet that was showing promise yesterday has started to come out, filling the morning air with its perfume. I pick a stem to take back to mingle with the white peony head in a glass in the kitchen; what an incense that'll be.

Ben's taking turns between being very attentive to body language so as to anticipate where the ball will go and taking off frolicking through the rushes, buttercups, clover and orchids like a Tasmanian devil on a mix of LSD and speed. I'm laughing at him when Alison walks out from behind a clump of willows with her three dogs, two border terriers and a prize winning black lab, though he's getting older he's still showing his lean winning form, not chubby like most of his breed. We have a wee chat, we're the only people that each of us have seen this morning when the silence is broken by a wolf pack of rice grinder motorbikes coursing up the road, obviously hoping that the police aren't out this early on a Sunday. Looks like they're having a ball as they're tucked down and slipstreaming each other; what a day for a ride. Silence returns as the Doppler effect tells that they've speed off into the distance and we decide it's time to turn for home. The mushrooms that I'd spied yesterday have turned out to be nothing that I can identify as edible but I may have an omelette anyway as the thoughts in my head.

The sun's strong already Mary so you're probably right to stay in the shade of the trees today. The thought of the cranachan sounds good, such a good pudding, or nice breakfast too. Never tried soya cream; then again theres not much in the way of things that I like cream anyway bar in sauces or the aforementioned pud. Have fun watching the Queen's Baton when if passes by.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sounds like a couple cracking walks GB... Ben sounds just like my spaniel as well when it comes to chasing balls and rushing around :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They have been good wanders, as I said earlier maybe not that bushy but noticing things and plotting the landscape was a skill my Dad taught me as a nipper to make the surrounding lands more productive - and not to get lost.

I do like spaniels. Friendly balls of fun, though a lot of work that I don't think a lot of folk consider when they buy that little puppy. But very rewarding, especially when worked. Must admit I'd love to get inside their heads to see just what goes on, and for that feeling of irrepressible optimism that they seem to have in spades.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the kind words. I do love the English language it's such a descriptive tool. Though I wish I could speak a foreign language well enough to write in. Different ways of describing and framing thoughts would be a good skill. Always feel that so many folks seem to be wandering around with their senses closed, there's so much to take in; every trip can be a safari if we just look, life in miniature is so rich.
Glad you enjoyed it, I do like taking photographs but as you say we can paint pictures in other ways.
Cheers again,
GB.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
What a fantastic description of a walk in the countryside. At first I thought it was a quote from a book! Sounds idyllic. Who need pictures when you can write like that. Thank you GB it was a pleasure to read sat in the sunshine of a beautiful morning.

Sent from somewhere?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Really enjoyed that GB and I'm glad to hear you're out of hospital. :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sounds like a brilliant time and a great piece of writing too!

Hope you heal well and I wish you a speedy recovery :).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Who needs photos when you paint such vibrant pictures in your descriptions? Thanks GB, really enjoyed that walk with you. Great to read you're up and about.

My thoughts exactly! I appreciate the value of photos and video as much as the next person, but often feel it's a shame that the skill of painting a vivid picture with words is being slowly lost; definitely not in your case, though. Great stuff :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
OK I'm going to start blushing now, thanks for your kind words folks. It's so nice to be able to share simple pleasures with you all. I love getting out, especially after my enforced incarceration. Every walk is something to be treasured.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I agree with Pops and the other goodly folk :D Your descriptive writing skills are very evocative, a picture can't magick up the sensations like imagining those senses you put into your words. Tis like a wee tickle to read them :)

It really does a heart good to hear of a kind and respected freind getting out, enjoying their recovery and revelling in their rediscovered freedom. When Ben comes to lather your face with freindly kisses and spray you with brookwater, Auntie Rub will be with you in spirit :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Good to hear you are getting out and about and challenging your body to recover. After noticing you were in hospital a couple of weeks back i tried ti find the thread explaining what happened to you but could not, did you have a hip replacement?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE