The latest Scouting magazine has just dropped through my door

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
And on page 26 there is a review of the Bushcraft Show in Cumbria, and instructions of making whistles, dutch oven cooking and other bits and pieces.

Does this mean that Bushcraft is now officially 'mainstream'?

Mang

Settler
Right, I'm going to come clean...I'm one of the article writers. Actually, I've done a few now but they have all been in the Cub supplement. The articles I've done (and have in the pipeline) are not trying to re-invent bushcraft but it's getting the subject out into Scoutland. On the basis of these articles, coupled with organising the Gilwell24 bushcraft base, I've been ask to consider joining a project to look at basic skills within Scouting which could be intersting.

In the current Scouting magazine, I've done the bowdrill feature...it would have been about three pages in it's original form but it was edited down...I know that the bearing won't catch fire if there's no leaves in there :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Saw that article and liked it... There has been a trend of "rediscovering" basic skills, at the troop my son's at, theres been more emphasis recently on knife work including maintainance and much more firelighting.. I'll look forward to more articles Mang!

And on page 26 there is a review of the Bushcraft Show in Cumbria, and instructions of making whistles, dutch oven cooking and other bits and pieces.

Does this mean that Bushcraft is now officially 'mainstream'?

scouts have been making whistles and cooking on fires for decades before bushcraft was thought of

used to be the Knife and Axe course before you could use a sharp including felling (well we did )

Backwoods cooking including wrapping in leaves, Egg in a potato or orange skin , bacon frying or boiling water in a paper bag

shelters

the works

its why Ray Mears took so long he never joined the scouts ;)

ATB

Duncan

PS have a look at recommended other reading at the bottom of the link above ;)

and i still use the finger width method to gauge sunset

Last edited:

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I've just finished reading the magazine this weekend.

Bushcraft has always been part of scouting, just under different names (backwoods cooking, pioneering, celestial navigation etc). Now that Bear Grylls is Chief Scout those skills seem to be grouped under a single banner of bushcraft, but they've always been there.

Plus bushcraft is pretty mainstream anyway - everyone knows Bear Grylls and Ray Mears, and travel supplements are full of reviews of bushcraft campsites as an alternative to "glamping".

Big T

Aug 12, 2011
Middlesbrough
I liked the article but in response to the beginning of thread since when has Scouts (although brilliant), been 'mainstream' and why would it matter?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Question is...when will they let me publish an illustrated article on deer prep...or rabbit for that matter...??? Think I might have to wait a while for that one...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Question is...when will they let me publish an illustrated article on deer prep...or rabbit for that matter...??? Think I might have to wait a while for that one...

Have you asked them Stovie...I'm sure that there are plenty of Scouts (and Leaders) would like to see it done properly.

Austin (Mang on here) who wrote the bushy articles says thet are crying out for new articles...

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE