The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

On Channel four, Monday 9pm.

This should create an interesting debate! :)

Don't be put off by the presenter, it is mainly about 13 normal guys trying to survive. I doubt you will see fancy bushcraft techniques, but you will see the realities of a survival situation.

Enjoy!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls/episode-guide

Thanks Ross, it's already started debate on here :rolleyes:. I'll probably be working so I'll record for later perusal. All the best to Woody and the guys.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, looking forward to it.

Really hope they go over their gear in some detail before they start.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I turned off the first Bear Grylls piece of "jackass Bushcraft" I watched as it was so cringingly awful that I couldn't stand to watch such drivel. I'm half tempted to watch this one just to ignore the silly little girls wittering on about the show....it all depends who I dislike more - and its a close run thing :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I turned off the first Bear Grylls piece of "jackass Bushcraft" I watched as it was so cringingly awful that I couldn't stand to watch such drivel. I'm half tempted to watch this one just to ignore the silly little girls wittering on about the show....it all depends who I dislike more - and its a close run thing :)

No splinters in your bum then, Hugh! :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I'd like to see a show where people are forced to use only BG survival techniques as shown in previous BG shows and the challenge is to see who it takes the longest to kill, have contestants also using real survival thriving skills as a comparative, obviously for comedy purposes.

I've even got a name for the show

Surviving Bear Grylls

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Thanks Ross, it's already started debate on here :rolleyes:. I'll probably be working so I'll record for later perusal. All the best to Woody and the guys.

work.6688926.1.sticker,375x360.it-wasn-t-me-honest-fantasy-dragon-v1.png

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I don't like BG for a variety of reasons but I'm trying to look past personal dislike. So far it looks as if this series is pushing the idea that men have somehow been damaged by taking a broader role in society than they used to, and the hinted aim of this series is to get them back to the old stereotype of rufty tufty men doing man things while their shrinking violet women stay at home and mind the children. I shall watch with interest to see whether I'm right.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't like BG for a variety of reasons but I'm trying to look past personal dislike. So far it looks as if this series is pushing the idea that men have somehow been damaged by taking a broader role in society than they used to, and the hinted aim of this series is to get them back to the old stereotype of rufty tufty men doing man things while their shrinking violet women stay at home and mind the children. I shall watch with interest to see whether I'm right.

Wow - given man's wider role in society is not even mentioned, neither is changing how they behave and women and children are not even named let alone have their roles discussed, that "hint" must be very deeply buried....is it some sort of Da Vinci Code in the photographs and punctuation?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
A quote from Channel 4:-
"A spokesman for Channel 4 said: "The series sets out to examine modern masculinity and how traditional skills and ideas of manhood have changed over generations. For that reason men were invited to take part in the series to be stripped of modern day comforts and their skills put to test."

As I said, I shall be interested to see how it pans out.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - at no point does it mention men's "wider role in society", being "rufty tufty" or women and children.

One could equally argue that traditional skills are lost to women - which would impinge on their ability to thrive on an Island. Its about a loss of traditional skills and practical outlook.

Still, if you choose to be offended, please carry on :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A quote from Channel 4:-
"A spokesman for Channel 4 said: "The series sets out to examine modern masculinity and how traditional skills and ideas of manhood have changed over generations. For that reason men were invited to take part in the series to be stripped of modern day comforts and their skills put to test."

As I said, I shall be interested to see how it pans out.

Sounds like typical media bolleaux to me; they're justifying the programme and trying to pretend it's on a higher plane than
it is.

Like politicians and estate agents their language is an art form in itself, self serving and a moillion miles from any truth, but you could never pin down the lie............:)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I agree Macaroon. Anything of real interest will be edited out in lieu of 'amazing' and 'startling' revelations. Also they're bound to choose a mix of people who will aggravate each other.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
If it is likely to wind you up, don't watch.

Simple.

I'll be watching it, sounds like a proper hoot.

(and I'm not at all bitter about my boss refusing me time off work to be in it...)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
As a follow-on show, I'm planning to lock 13 Samburu warriors in a Tesco for 30 days.

See how they get on, see if they can ignore their natural survival urges and just sit back with an X-box/PS3 and multipacks of cheesy wotsits and do nowt for 30 days?

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
As a follow-on show, I'm planning to lock 13 Samburu warriors in a Tesco for 30 days.

See how they get on, see if they can ignore their natural survival urges and just sit back with an X-box/PS3 and multipacks of cheesy wotsits and do nowt for 30 days?

I reckon that would make a good show but somebody had better warn them Twiglets don't make a very good hand drill set.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Did you see BG on a chat show the other week? he could't get his own fire lighter to work. I don't hate the bloke at all and in many ways good luck to him I would not however go to him for advice on Bushcraft or long term survival. I suppose what he does is escape from capture and death survival rather than normal survival though as he always seems to be taking the kind of risks that you would only take if you were being pursued by armed nutters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE