The Indian Tipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
As there has been some interest in the tipi on the forum, I would suggest "The Indian Tipi" by Reg and Gladys Lauben. Reg and Gladys lived among the plains Indians in the 1920s and 1930s, living in a tipi and gaining much knowledge of plains Indians and their culture.

We used to visit them, when we were able, in their Wyoming log cabin built in the shadow of the Grand Tetons. Every visit was an adventure in wilderness and Indian lore.

PG

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
You are lucky fellow PG, to visit these people. I have seen this book although not familiar with it. I would like to visit these places and people one day when I am old and the children are all independant. Although, truthfully, unlikely!
My wife has T.C McLuhan's 'Touch The Earth' with it's wonderful photos.
Cheers from Swyn.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have the Lauben's book and can heartily recommend it. Even if you don't actually want to make a tipi, there's tons of great info in there including stories passed to the Lauben's by elderly Native Americans who remembered how it was in the old times. I particulary warmed to the stories of how the Laubens attended a gathering where there's was the only tipi which was brown in colour through smoke from their fire. Many of the indians attending the gathering didn't know anything about their heritage and culture and some even thought lighting a fire in the tipi would set it on fire. The Laubins were instrumental in many ways for reintroducing Native American traditions and culture back to a people who had lost everything, and many learned of the old ways through Reginald and Gladys. Gladys was also instrumental in many ways for recording, remembering and teaching Native American dance and the symbolism it represented. It's a fascinating read.

Eric

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
They were great folks to visit. Wing's brother lives not far from them, and knew them quite well. The cabin was like a museum, with many old Indian weapons, buffalo robes with pictographs, and a canopied bed - with the "canopy" made of many different types of Indian bows. Some of the tomahawks had been used during Custer's Last Stand.

They'd had the cabin from before the time the area was a National Park, and since they've died, it has probably been raised. Their considerable collection of Indian cultural items was given to the University of Illinois.

Talking with them, Reg, especially, was like taking a walk back through time. wish I'd had the presence of mind to record what he said, but he probably wouldn't have been so free to talk then.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I have the book and its very very good.
Pierre, when did they die? I dont know somehow I thought they would be still around as my book looks quite knew. Now when I read you letter I had a look and saw that the pictures where taken in the 50th.

cheers
Abbe

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Abbe Osram said:
I have the book and its very very good.
Pierre, when did they die? I dont know somehow I thought they would be still around as my book looks quite knew. Now when I read you letter I had a look and saw that the pictures where taken in the 50th.

cheers
Abbe

We last saw them in 1996. Gladys died within the year. Reg lived maybe another year or two after that.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE