The 'I hate Trangia cookers' thread, a thread for Trangia haters.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Trangias are OK... But I prefer home-made penny-stoves - my favourite one at the moment is made of Red Bull cans, and is tiny and light. Or a stick-fire in a hobo-stove or my Evernew DX (which a Red Bull penny-stove fits in); I find the processing of sticks therapeutic, and a part of a more 'complete' experience.

Horses for courses, I s'pose. But I personally like a cooking system that's small, light, and gives me a few fuel options, just in case I'm feeling lazy, or there's no availability of sticks and twigs.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I like my trangias for more elaborate cooking as they have a reletivly wide base, but when I'm backpacking I use my gas stove and MSR titanium mug, or sometimes my crusader set with hexamine and ali lid. Doesnt seem to be many haters in this thread lol.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm a convert to the SAT - brilliant piece of kit if a wee bit bulky, haven't used my dixies (mess tins) for ages now.

Liam

rune

Feb 18, 2011
Sussex
I'll add my vote to the trangia-hater list ;-)

I tend to use either a white-gas fueled pressure stove or my Liard firebox.

I remember when I was 15 or so doing DofE hikes and ending up with food tasting / smelling of meths. My main problem with them is that they are messy and it's difficult to control the temperature adequately. My pressure stove also performed admirably at 10k feet in the snow.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I ditched my trangia a long time ago. Although it did a job, I never really liked it.
It's been replaced by a hobo stove, cook pots & gas stove all packed up nice n small. Far more versatile :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm a convert to the SAT - brilliant piece of kit if a wee bit bulky, haven't used my dixies (mess tins) for ages now.

Liam

You mean the Swedish Army Alcohol Cookset (SAAC) which in a minority of cases uses a burner made by Trangia but in fact the sets poor design is nothing to do with Trangia. Please, never confuse them with the real thing. At best the SAAC is a good set of pans for a fire with an alcohol burner as backup.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
So even though the swedish army cooker uses a trangia burner, it isnt a rangia? Interesting.

I've just picked up some old Trangia stoves from my scout group that want a bit of a clean, they seem pretty decent considering they've been in a shed for 30+ years.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So even though the swedish army cooker uses a trangia burner, it isnt a rangia? Interesting.

I've just picked up some old Trangia stoves from my scout group that want a bit of a clean, they seem pretty decent considering they've been in a shed for 30+ years.

Trangia made some, by no means the majority of the burners and the burner design of the SAAC is poorer in performance than the traditional Trangia burner; so no, they are not 'real' Trangia's.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
One word... Evernew.

Size- Tiny (well, compared to a trangia)
Cost- Ermmm, best not mention that.
Invisible flame- Oh, you'll know its lit!
lighting difficulties- Ferro rod, 1st time, every time.
fuel cost- Thanks work!

I'll bring it to Dave's and 'convert' you :notworthy

Ahh evernew , I be a convert, fuel is dead cheap here and to buy a gas canaster I have to travel 30km but every little corner shop in these parts seems to stock meths for home cleaning use

P1010983.jpg

P1020130.jpg

P1020020.jpg

P1020012.jpg

OK Thread hijack over now

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
It depends really for me, if i'm going solo i'll use the jetboil and carry a remote if its cold so i can invert the gas. I'll just live off boil in bag meals. If i take my little un then i tend to cook meals and the trangia is perfect for it.

couldn't help but revive this thread sorry.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Another voice in the wilderness but I've never been a Trangia fan.
Back in my youth I was attracted by the cheap running costs and the stability but the weight, bulk and general lack of controllability put me right off, especially after trying to cook a christmas dinner on one on the summit of Cadair Idris.
Now I use a pocket rocket and titanium mug with a homemade wind shield if I'm backpacking or an msr (dragonfly?) gas stove for base camp use. Much more controllable and significantly lighter and less bulky in a pack.
Yes the fuel is more expensive but two of us managed on two 250 gas canisters for 16 days cooking. That equates to a fiver.
We do use Trangias for D of E groups but that is because they are bombproof and the kids are really heavyhanded!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
the problem is that i'm a lazy sod Hugh and cant be bothered cooking a meal for one lol

Fair play. I love cooking - I'm on my own today and made sweet and sour from scratch - starting with red peppers, chillis and pineapple juice. Never done that on a camp fire - but lemon chicken from scratch has been done :)

I'm just a greedy sod ;)

rg598

Native
I really like my Trangia stove; I just can't come up with a use for it. It is heavy for an alcohol stove, and doesn't put out enough heat to compete with other types of stoves. Trying to melt snow with one is just torture.

verney

Aug 6, 2014
Finland
Started my camping "career" with Trangia 25 but as I mainly went solo I swithched to Mini-Trangia due to weight. Always liked both of them. I switched to gas stoves because a three week solo trip requires a gallon of meths.

Nowdays I mainly go mith my wife and daughter and we use a multi-fuel stove with either gas or lamp oil. On occasional solo-trip I take something else depending on mood (Esbit, wood gas stove, titanium meth burner, ...).

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Not multifuel but I am loving my campingaz camp stove. Works as described and I'm in the process of making a modification to turn it into a lantern also.

I found wood gasification stoves to be good efficient stoves also.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE