the great kilt. Ultimate bushcraft clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Pleeease tell me you don't have red hair and wear red braces!?!

I can't get Russ Abbott out of my head now:D

Kev.

Never tried the braces thing :lol: and nope i dont have red hair, just plain old black with streaks of what i like to call silver ( because it is more distinguished than grey ;) ).

What about if you go through thickets or dense forestry? That sort of thing?

Nag.

You have hit on the only snag.....low level prickly things.......they sure make you pick your route carefully :D But on a plus point the amount of mobility gained compared to trousers when scrambling (not eggs or dirt bikes :twak: ).

not so sure about pleated side pockets on camouflage ones though............

:D Im not sure about the camo ones either.........but the pocketed utilikilt looks like a bit of fun. They even do a survivour model.

http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=31

Greg

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I got:D and might like as well a healthy breeze around the privates;) but it would be too unusual a garmet here in Germany:(
Glad to har that they are still worn as everyday clothing instead as foklore items only.

They're very unusual in Belgium as well, but that hasn't stopped me wearing them in the city from time to time. Quite cool and comfy in my opinion ;) Only irritating thing is women (or even men, God save me!) who want to see what you're wearing underneath... Everyone assumes it should be nothing, didn't stop me wearing my boxers though, but from what I read here: that's nonsense?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had a huge screaming row with a pita female who was determined to de-bag young kilt wearing men.
In the end I told her bluntly it was assault, none of her damned business and if she was that hard up I was sure Ann Summers would manage to provide suitable equipment to ease her very obvious frustration. :cussing:

She hasn't spoken to me since :confused:

Remember the long sark / shirt......it's a good thing :D

On a serious note though, if it were a female being accosted by strange males to remove their underpinnings it would be a police matter. Why should it be different for men ?
Fun's fun but sometimes this isn't funny.

cheers,
Toddy...........who's starting to wonder about modding herself

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
In a very limited range of tartans I can source good stuff for £5 a metre just now in Glasgow. Generally £39.95 upwards. Mine cost £60 a metre :(

cheers,
M

Really!? :eek: Now that is interesting - where's it made?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough, Scotland. I'm a fabric snob and I keep nagging my suppliers for tartan for plaids and one turned up with this lot :D
There are some very dodgy designs but there are some absolute gems too. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You have hit on the only snag.....low level prickly things.......they sure make you pick your route carefully :D But on a plus point the amount of mobility gained compared to trousers when scrambling (not eggs or dirt bikes :twak: ).

Good thick socks and / or gaiters help a lot there.

:D Im not sure about the camo ones either.........but the pocketed utilikilt looks like a bit of fun. They even do a survivour model.

http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=31

Greg

A friend of mine has the Workman's utilikilt - it's actually pretty natty, and apparently very practical.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Funnily enough, Scotland. I'm a fabric snob and I keep nagging my suppliers for tartan for plaids and one turned up with this lot :D
There are some very dodgy designs but there are some absolute gems too. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

OK, now I'm really interested. I've always fancied a decent kilt, but you usually have the choice of spending an arm, a leg, and the soul of your firstborn on a proper Scottish-made one, or buying some useless bit of sweatshop tat. And I really try not to buy anything that comes from a sweatshop...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I had a huge screaming row with a pita female who was determined to de-bag young kilt wearing men.
In the end I told her bluntly it was assault, none of her damned business and if she was that hard up I was sure Ann Summers would manage to provide suitable equipment to ease her very obvious frustration. :cussing:

On a serious note though, if it were a female being accosted by strange males to remove their underpinnings it would be a police matter. Why should it be different for men ?

cheers,

Not at all Toddy,well done.:)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

cheers,

Quite right Toddy. I think many men would joke that they'd enjoy the attention. Perhaps the first once or twice, but after a while it just gets sooo not funny. I speak as someone who once had a stalker for 2 years, and I'm not talking deer hats ;)

Cheers, Nag.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just pm'd a friend and said, "Like minded young men and women is one thing....like minded mature men and women too...." but to accost complete strangers because she feels she has some cultural *right* to find out and "Rip 'em orf!" is just not on.
Besides, it's mince, short trews have always been around. Not everyone wore them but they were worn, but the sark pretty much is the best idea.

Linen under wool works well in our damp climate. Healthy, comfortable, practical.

Sorry to hear about the stalker Naq. No' funny :(

atb,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Not wishing to sideline the debate at all - I've just spotted this pic on the Utilikilt site ... classic!!!

565558332_0aeab60ef3.jpg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester

cheers,

This happens everytimeI go out in it . The last time I was walking down the road linking arms with my better half, Lin (makeitmyself on here) having a nice conversation about something or other and a gang of lasses ran up and attempted for a few minutes to lift my kilt. Until I asked them how they would feel if I did it to them. Normally I take it on the chin ...so to say and accept that the attention is all part of the package of wearing a kilt but this one just took it too far.
On the flip side of the coin i have wore my kilt whilst walking through a certain no go area (at nights) in city centre Manchester and the local scally population did not know what to make of me in my kilt and totally left us alone until we had passed and was a good shouting distance away. Normally they are known to accost "outsiders" who are daft enough to walk down "their" road but strangely enough they only heckled from a distance and stopped that when i turned around and started walking back in their direction. they thought I was going back for them they shouted out ..."only kidding mate" before running off. Where as in reality we had just missed our turning :D ......sssshhhhh you dont tell them and neither will i ;)

Greg

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I was having a similar discussion in the subject of "kilt lifting" on another forum.

If I walked up to a woman I didn't know and lifted her skirt to see if she was wearing underwear, I'd get arrested, charged, and end up on the sex offenders register.
If a woman lifts my kilt, it's "just a bit of fun"

I wear my kilt a lot and it happens maybe once a week (more If I'm out late). It's a double standard I'm not happy with.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I was having a similar discussion in the subject of "kilt lifting" on another forum.

If I walked up to a woman I didn't know and lifted her skirt to see if she was wearing underwear, I'd get arrested, charged, and end up on the sex offenders register.
If a woman lifts my kilt, it's "just a bit of fun"

I wear my kilt a lot and it happens maybe once a week (more If I'm out late). It's a double standard I'm not happy with.

I would advise that you make use of the modern equality ethos and lay charges for indecent assault the next time it happens.

It would only need a few well publicised cases to start the numpties thinking.:twak:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE