The Fashion Thing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I tend to buy what I can afford and kit that does'nt stand out like a lighthouse on steroids so it tends to be DPM with the surplus kit. It is pretty robust and generally keeps me warm for most of the time. I also tend to look at farm supply shops as these canny farmer types want robust quality gear but don't want to pay for it so it is more earthy colours and fairly bombproof. I spent a few evenings this last year feeling the cold a bit, probably my age, so I've invested in some thermal base layer stuff for the first time since leaving the big green bus company's employ, which I hope will keep me a bit warmer when I'm out. Never really thought in terms of what I look like as I tend to consider more what I feel like and if that's warm and dry then I am a happy camper.

I usualy wear scruffs when I'm out, tried and trusted gear that I don't mind too much if it gets damaged, or is very hard wearing. Either surplus DPM or green or black

But it also depends what I'm doing. If it's bushy then the scruffs are worn, if I'm out walking in the mountains then it's Goretex or endex, if it's Mountain Rescue then it's Red and Black Keela

IMHO it's horses for courses, what you wear reflects your chosen activity.

Versace silk lined goretex weatherproof jacket, Rare alpaca wool baselayers, by Calvin Klein, finest footwear, by Jimmy Choo............

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
I just wear whatever suits at the time, I've got a couple of 4 or 5 year old snowboarding jackets I got in a sale ages ago, in subdued greens which are fine for hillwalking and pretty waterproof after a good nikwaxing (+ they have good hoods and snowskirts and plenty pockets), combined with thermal base layer, t-shirt and a hoody in heavy material, and a cheap anorak type waterproof shell incase of severe rain, covers all bases for me! I do wear jeans usually but with a pair of drab green goretex forester overtrousers from norway. I like peaked beanies for headwear.

I wouldn't be seen dead in a wide brimmed hat, dpm, or the kind of scout-boy-shorts our beloved mr mears sports :p

People can wear what they want and get what they want out of "bushcrafting" etc, naturally some may get a kick out of living like nanook of the north, crocodile dundee, robin hood or rambo, and dress accordingly, and fair play to them if they are having fun doing it! I hope we all are!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
2 things i cant abide, Barmha type hats or anything in DPM or camo.Paul

So what's with the aversion to camo in the bush?:(

Cheers

L1010912.jpg

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
hold on thats my size...................Twodogs

Well fine but you must have arms like a gorilla rather than that of even two dogs!:lmao:

Great bit of kit but enough spare sleeve to make full length elbow patches which is, now I think of it, not a bad idea;)

Cheers!

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I wear clothes that aren't too expensive and don't stand out. I'll wear a green t-shirt or long sleeved shirt(also green), brown pants, camoflauge army surplus jacket and if I wear a hat, I'll wear my brown tilley or my O.D. green watch cap. I might wear a brown hoodie as well. I might buy a wool shirt eventually but they seem to be pretty expensive. I sure could use one for when I go camping in the fall though. Brrr... I'd like to think that it's got nothing to do with fashion but it probably does a little bit, although I doubt I look very fashionable.:eek:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This season I shall mostly be wearing what ever was in the sales at the end of last season.

The number of people I see wearing the Graghoppers Winter Kiwis (the warm lined ones) 'cos they were selling them off cheap last year is amazing (and they're really cosy :) )

I tend to wear greens and even RealTree because I don't want people seeing me most of the time - I'm anti-social like that :)

One thing I have learnt though in the couple of months I've visited this forum: Wayland can start a good thread!!

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
My bushcrafting fashions is the same as my every day ware
blue jeans red denim shirt and blue jean jacket
stetson hat and justin boots

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Mesquite
Most of the Ranchers around dress the same way
except different color shirts.
I don't know where you work. But at 6 ft and 275
most people don't have to much to say about what I wear.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Kind of reminds me of counsel given by a US hunting guide:

"Boy, there are only two types of folk who where Stetsons. Cowboys and ar......"!

Ok, I'll get my coat yet again:buttkick:

Cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In West Wales (where old hippies come to die) you can wear just about anything and no one raises an eyebrow...
I have no "street wear" and live in my Bushy gear...even when working as a Mencap Relief Suport Worker I will be seen wearing my Ventile, Big Boots and leather hat...my blanket hoodie and Bunnet are so warm though that they tend only to be used when out in the cold at night.....Mencap keep their houses very nice and warm!
I do have a DJ but I only wear that when I am "on th door" at our theatre.....with my Big Black Boots on my feet...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I just tripped over this old thread while looking for something else.

It made me wonder if things have changed in the five years intervening?

I think the availability of kit has improved quite a bit and although my gear has changed slightly, it still bears a great resemblance to the kit I wore back then with some bits being even older, which speaks well of it's endurance I guess.

Has anyone made a major change in the last few years?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Generally much the same but I think there has been an increasing reliance on natural materials - wool, hemp, linen, cotton, leather.

I tend to prefer stuff that is multi-functional, that works well wherever I go. So I steer away from things that look too much like a bushcraft uniform.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Curiosity question, but I think all of the input in this thread so far is from the male forum members, Just wondering if any of the female members had a different take on things, or dress significantly differntly from the men.

My kit is almost entirely charity shop purchases, plus a Tilley hat.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...wonder if things have changed in the five years intervening?...Has anyone made a major change in the last few years?.."

I used to swear by Fjallraven Trousers, not anymore, the quality and workmanship is very poor these days. Other than that I picked up some Bison wool shirts about two years ago and these are probably my favorite outdoor (and indoor) garment.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE