The call of Uluuuuu!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Hey Guys I have had the Grohmann Ulu at the house for some time now but recently added the Ulu factory version to my collection. So seeing I had the 2 of them sitting there nice and pretty like I decided to to take them out for a side by side spin and had a great time preparing a couple of meals with them. Here are some pics of my preparing a a pan sizzler with them.

ulu1.jpg

ulu2.jpg

ulu3.jpg

ulu4.jpg

ulu5.jpg

The chopping board really take the Ulu up a notch it is contoured perfectly to the knife and is heavy enough to hold still during the serious chopping. I am really enjoying using them in the kitchen I have had the Grohmann one for a couple of months now and can imagine why I haven't been using it more.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I've used one of the stainless 4" Alaskan ulu's for quite a while, mostly for food prep. I have a plastic cutting bowl that countours to it perfectly that came with it's own ulu style knife that had what seemed like practically no carbon in the steel.

The Alaskan ulu is probably only a 420 steel, but it is thin and easy to sharpen. That ulu really isn't made for the serious outdoors but an ulu blade is a handy tool for many tasks, and it's shape is excellent for things like hide scraping. Mine has some nicks in the blade from non-kitchen use, so it's now mostly just a kitchen tool.

I did not know that Grohmann made an ulu and I seriously like the looks of that one. IIRC, that's a pattern commonly referred to as a 'Canadian' ulu. I have scoured the Grohmann website looking for an ulu but so far no ulu's spotted.

A real Inuit ulu is kind of hard to get hold of in the US due to the flood of el-cheapo 'Ulu Factory' knives like they carry at Walmart, so I'm thinking of taking an old rotary skill-saw blade and just making my own ulu. Might even be totally over the top about it and send it off to have it cryo-tempered. The real deal up north have often been made from old saw blades.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
If you are looking for the Grohmann Ulu look on their site under "Specil projects" about half way down. I believe it is a limited run with only this group available for starters.

Abe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE