The Amish as a source

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
What really surprises me is how political this thread is. :confused: I've lived around Amish all my life and I've never seen so much political talk about the Amish as in this thread. The last political issue I recall with the Amish was when a certain sect of Amish refused to put slow moving vehicle signs on their buggies. Absolutely earth shattering. It has always been live and let live where I grew up. How's that for a "universal more"?

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Horses aren't really a good example. They drink when they choose, not when you give them water. I've been to many horse shows where my horses stood or competed in the hot sun all day and through the night but refused to drink until we returned home late that night or early the next morning. It's actually normal (if not understood by non horse owners)

As to them being inside in air conditioned comfort, what of it? I'm in an air conditioned house now as are all my horse owning friends. The horses are outside in 88f heat (today's high will be over 100f) but they've NEVER even thought of AC. It's just their normal world.

Yeah I should have explained more. The horse was starved, ribby, and bitten to death by flies. I am trying to stay on topic. Sorry.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I should have explained more. The horse was starved, ribby, and bitten to death by flies. I am trying to stay on topic. Sorry.

Seems out of character as the Amish horses I've seen were well fed and in good health (although they definitely think of them as nothing more than livestock) But definitely a better explanation (example) of your point.

I cain't really comment much on the flies though as they're quite a problem here as well. On my dogs, people's cattle, horses, etc. (even chewing on me when outside) The only remedy is to dip them regularly in insecticide and as I don't know the Amish views (at all) on insecticide, I really couldn't coment.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can we moan about something else for a bit?, how about Scientology? They seem to be worthy of a chat because the thread can drift into things like Area 51, David Icke and UFO's :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can we moan about something else for a bit?, how about Scientology? They seem to be worthy of a chat because the thread can drift into things like Area 51, David Icke and UFO's :)

How about beef jerky and dogs? Came home to find an empty packet and a happy looking dog that is hovering about and inch from the floor whilst at the same time peeling wallpaper, shocking,,,,,:yuck:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How about beef jerky and dogs? Came home to find an empty packet and a happy looking dog that is hovering about and inch from the floor whilst at the same time peeling wallpaper, shocking,,,,,:yuck:

Nothing worse than a dawg, or person, eating a mans stash; you have my sympathy dwardo.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nothing worse than a dawg, or person, eating a mans stash; you have my sympathy dwardo.

It's interesting how there's a new trend at the office. People are writing names on containers of food in the office fridge. Just last week I ate a ham sandwich named Ken and banana puddind named Alice..

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's interesting how there's a new trend at the office. People are writing names on containers of food in the office fridge. Just last week I ate a ham sandwich named Ken and banana puddind named Alice..

Be careful; you won't know about the cascara sandwich until its too late...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Where do you think hay comes from? Farmers, like the Amish, grow it as part of crop rotation, they don't need to import it.

Actually part of the tenancy agreements that tenant farmers used to have to agree to, some may still do, was not to sell hay off the farm as this exported fertitility. So if imported to a farm the reverse must be true. Haven't you seen tha massive loads of hay or straw on lorries on British roads.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Actually part of the tenancy agreements that tenant farmers used to have to agree to, some may still do, was not to sell hay off the farm as this exported fertitility. So if imported to a farm the reverse must be true. Haven't you seen tha massive loads of hay or straw on lorries on British roads.

And that is relevant to the Amish in America how, exactly?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And that is relevant to the Amish in America how, exactly?

I think he's referring to livestock farming in general.

That said, the farmer that leases my land grows his own hay off the same field he pastures his cattle on (my land and his adjacent land) and has a surplus of hay to sell. It was his grandfather and my uncle who used to take me to the horse shows I referenced above when I was a teen.

Last edited:

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
A lady who comes in the shop lived alongside Amish in America for several years.
Apparently she still has various 'instructional books' they produce. Along the lines of getting the most for your kitchen/store off an acre of land, farming practice, craftwork, barn building etc.

She said last time she was in that she had the impresion I was someone who would actualy appreciate having them and maybe put some of the information to use. Or certainly know others who would.
Must get back in touch with her and say yes please.

She also has a lot of her father and grandfathers old woodworking tools apparently which she is thinking of moving on / selling.
Might try to have a look see at them aswell.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not to get into the religiousness but the article on the Amish portrays the classic cult control of telling those within that it's awful outside and therefore its better inside being instructed by leaders. Relevant because some attempts at returning to nature, settling off the grid by practising bushcraft, include a dominating leadership and isolation from the outside world as their basic set-up.

One can see how these situations arise from some of the reality television programmes dealing with outdoor activities where novices, some with mental or physical problems, are supplied to tickle the egos of the great big alpha instructors.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I don't have first hand experience with Amish, but I did live near Hudderite and Mennonite settlements in Saskatchewan. It's a simpler way of life in the sense that it's a lot harder as far as labour goes. They're happy enough with it and never forced their opinions on me so I wouldn't turn the tables. They make some amazing wine to sell!;) The daily routines reminded me of my grandparents in the sense that they grew as much as possible themselves and pickled and canned as many things as possible for use through the winter and future. Makes sense to be prepared and make hay whilst the sun shines. Definately a lifestyle that harks back to the days of honest graft with man and beast working together to provide what is needed.

Not too sure what it has to do with bushcraft apart from they're living the dream in a way in my opinion. I don't care for any religion in my life, to me that's the only downside to the Amish approach. That's their choice though and the kids are encouraged to leave in their teens to see what's out there in society. After being brought up in a certain way in that environment most soon head back for the simpler way of life from what I've heard and I'm not surprised...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE