The “non-military” bivvy bag collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Let’s share pictures and info on various bivvy bags that are not the bog standard British army issue here. Pros and cons, experiences as well as details on additional features. What else is out there folks??

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

This has been my only bivvy for the last decade. It has faired me well but has become a little snug as I’ve got to the point I need a thicker sleeping bag and I’ve bulked out a little. Best feature is by far the full hood! I pop a pillow in there and it is trapped, so doesn’t slide around and escape from under my neck.

Reactions: the mole trapper

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The best bivvy bags are the NATO issued bivvy bags. Depending on your needs German army used, or new by Carinthia, British army as usual, Dutch M 90 and French are accessible.

Snugpak Special Forces is the best ultralight bivvy bag, Alpkit Hunka seems to be the best red one on the market.

Most civil ones are constructed wrong.
Probably both US bivvy bags and the Dutch tent- bivvy bag as well.

The best one is the current German army bivvy bag that's offered by Carinthia as Goretex sleeping bag cover. It's the only one that can be closed totally because you can breath through the waterproof fabric here. Not the cheapest though.

Attention! Risk of Suffocation!
Older German bivvy bags, also made by Carinthia, can't be closed totally from inside!

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
@Erbswurst Yes the old Dutch M90 is a great bag, I had one a while back, very warm but very heavy too.

I’d argue that the old carintha bag is better than that new one, a completely different design.

I’m sorry but you’re wrong about the British army bag, it’s terrible.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The alpkit Hunka is my emergency bivi only now. I actually thought they sent the standard size when I first bought it, it’s was too tight for me. Other times I give it to my teenager even the fact it’s a XL is too restricting for me. I like to move around. So really it’s the issue one only for comfort.

Not tried the snugpak bivi but it’s had good reviews.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@FerlasDave
I talked about the German army bivvy bags that stood identical in construction but got a different Goretex fabric. Before they were made by Carinthia they were made by Feuchter.

Which one did you have in mind?

Why don't you like the British army bivvy bag?
I own it but didn't use it very often.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
@FerlasDave
I talked about the German army bivvy bags that stood identical in construction but got a different Goretex fabric. Before they were made by Carinthia they were made by Feuchter.

Which one did you have in mind?

Why don't you like the British army bivvy bag?
I own it but didn't use it very often.

Oh I see. The link you shared was for the new one, I assumed that’s what you meant. The first type carintha made are the design I like the most, I think the new one is now the expedition but it seems less rugged I think due to making it lightweight.

I’ve spent many nights in anger in a British one, they’re just terrible for getting in and out and have no where to capture a pillow so it doesn’t slide away. An extra hood and a zip would make it so much better.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh, yes, the expedition cover.
It's a nonsense construction for the civil market. Totally stupid stuff.

Reactions: FerlasDave

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Today I managed to grab a new bivvy off market place. (Starting to think my phone is listening to me)
A little drive to get it but I ended up with a brand new mountain range goretex bivvy bag. Trial run of my sleep system in the house seems fairly good, lots of room for sleeping mat inside the bivvy, half zip down the side and a full hood too. Perhaps this will replace my alpkit hunka.

Only issue is lack of information on the company, other than they don’t exist anymore. Most Google searches come back to here 10+ years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE