testing a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Abbe Osram said:
I will check it out, the Mora type.
What kind of oil do you use? I am asking for my GB axe as I was reading one should oil them.

cheers
Abbe

Because my knives are used for a mixture of jobs including eating, I use a vegetable oil such as olive for rust prevention. Alternatively the residual oil / fat from cooking is usually OK providing it's not from salted meat / bacon

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Understand about the oiling, but I would be interested to see how the knife preforms under a days use in that enviornment with being oiled.

Maybe an oiled cloth would enough(sorry just thinking here). My brothers mora was covered in rust after only a few hours and living on an island I would just as likely find my self at the coast as I would in the woods. Maybe the only answer is a SS version maybe some time in the future ;)

Just a thought
James

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Abbe Osram said:
I will check it out, the Mora type.
What kind of oil do you use? I am asking for my GB axe as I was reading one should oil them.

cheers
Abbe

To be honest using the axe/knife seems to be enough -- but where you are in the world I would imagine oilling would be a must - have you tried something like Fospro spray? Or maybe mixing 50/50 meths and a two stroke oil like what you might have for a chainsaw?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jamesdevine said:
Understand about the oiling, but I would be interested to see how the knife preforms under a days use in that enviornment with being oiled.

Maybe an oiled cloth would enough(sorry just thinking here). My brothers mora was covered in rust after only a few hours and living on an island I would just as likely find my self at the coast as I would in the woods. Maybe the only answer is a SS version maybe some time in the future ;)

Just a thought
James

Interesting James but really a carbon blade will rust in salt water conditions its just a fact of life - like the sky being blue - you can try to protect with oils and remember this is one reason we like carbon steel because you have to look after it.

But as an after thought I used my trust old mora classic with the antler handle I made when I was on ISLAY and we spent two days beach combing and setting long lines ect and it never got a spot of rush - interesting, maybe the simple act of cleaning it before putting it away helped or maybe it was the neats foot oil from the sheath?

Guess I'll have to visit the coast and see how this new one fares eh!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Great Pebble said:
I've got a SS Mora.... Would like something very similar but with a better (not hard plastic) grip, suggestions?

Burn off the handle and make your own one! Thats what I did with my old Mora classic (although thats a wooden handle of course)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Gary said:
Burn off the handle and make your own one! Thats what I did with my old Mora classic (although thats a wooden handle of course)

carful not to mess up the temper of the blade when doing this.. if you can smash it off thats probably better!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
BorderReiver said:
As an experienced user your tests will be of more interest to us punters than any fancy ideas thought up by the "what can we do to break it" set.
I agree. The Kochanski tree test I tried, but i've got the impression that Mors is a pretty wise man when it comes to bushcraft and since he uses Moras, I had a go at this some time ago, but the knife broke.

What I don't like is when people on purpose try to break a knife, why would you wanna break it, is it necessary in the outdoors? Not IMO. :cool:

Just a few cents.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
tomtom said:
carful not to mess up the temper of the blade when doing this.. if you can smash it off thats probably better!

With a plastic handle you dont need to worry TOMTOM just heat up an old kitchen knife and burn off the handle one side of the tang the other side will snap of - easy peasy! Only way yous bugger the temper was heating up the handle and blade over a fire or flame!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
TheViking said:
I agree. The Kochanski tree test I tried, but i've got the impression that Mors is a pretty wise man when it comes to bushcraft and since he uses Moras, I had a go at this some time ago, but the knife broke.

What I don't like is when people on purpose try to break a knife, why would you wanna break it, is it necessary in the outdoors? Not IMO. :cool:

Just a few cents.

Quite right little viking - although there is a difference between you buying a knife and trying to break it and Mora making a knife then trying to break it.

Mors knife test stems from the fact you can fell a small 8" or so diameter tree with a knife and it the blade jams in the wood you might need to use excessive force to free it - as I said I tried it just to be thorough but I did it where the strength is greatest.

Normal testing shouldnt involve more than the normal tasks youd expect to put the tool to work at.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep the brother really didn't look after it will and that was part of the problem it was used all day and spent little time in it's plastic sheath. If the has oiled it from time to time there would have been less damage. We was also at sea on a boat for much of the day so probable a little extreme for bushcraft.

I was thinking of your Islay trip when i asked. Am I giving you an excuse to have another trip ;) .

I am looking for a good full tang bushcraft knife and this sounds like the prefect all rounder thats why I am ask about salt water.

Thanks Gary for the replies and enjoy the trip to the sea side.

James

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Abbe Osram said:
As I said I dont know much about knifes so I bought something.
I guess you will laugh at me but here it comes.
knife_abbe.jpg
:eek:

cheers
Abbe

I think that those are made by Martiini for Rapala.

Keith.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Great Pebble said:
That's why I was asking about "handle kits" in a previous thread. :D

ah! Well with a stick tang easiest way is to cut a green birch about the size and half you want and hammer this onto the tang (1 in 3 will split btw) once fitted leave over night to season a little then carve to fit - I did it with an old Mora clipper and then gave the finished knife to a friend as a gift and she is still using to this da so it works!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
jamesdevine said:
Yep the brother really didn't look after it will and that was part of the problem it was used all day and spent little time in it's plastic sheath. If the has oiled it from time to time there would have been less damage. We was also at sea on a boat for much of the day so probable a little extreme for bushcraft.

I was thinking of your Islay trip when i asked. Am I giving you an excuse to have another trip ;) .

I am looking for a good full tang bushcraft knife and this sounds like the prefect all rounder thats why I am ask about salt water.

Thanks Gary for the replies and enjoy the trip to the sea side.

James

SEACRAFT - A STEP BEYOND...........LAND!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Gary said:
ah! Well with a stick tang easiest way is to cut a green birch about the size and half you want and hammer this onto the tang (1 in 3 will split btw) once fitted leave over night to season a little then carve to fit - I did it with an old Mora clipper and then gave the finished knife to a friend as a gift and she is still using to this da so it works!

Over on BB, Wayne mentioned a "gypsy" technique of boiling a piece of wood to soften in, them hammering it onto the tang.

Keith.

Moine

Forager
Hi,

Before I completely trust a knife for survival, I want to know it's limits. I usually can find those limits with general use and bushcraft, plus some toughness tests for larger blades. I don't need small cutters to be bullet proof (even though I like them to be that way), but large field blades and choppers need to be tough enough for very hard work. So I beat them up and see how they survive...

Only the toughest earn the right to come and play with me in the field. The others are dead anyway (or else I recycle the broken parts and make small blades out of them ;)).

Cheers,

David

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Moine said:
Hi,

Before I completely trust a knife for survival, I want to know it's limits. I usually can find those limits with general use and bushcraft, plus some toughness tests for larger blades. I don't need small cutters to be bullet proof (even though I like them to be that way), but large field blades and choppers need to be tough enough for very hard work. So I beat them up and see how they survive...

Only the toughest earn the right to come and play with me in the field. The others are dead anyway (or else I recycle the broken parts and make small blades out of them ;)).

Cheers,

David

Interesting point of view - I wonder if you have ever weakened a blade by beating it up so that should you ever have needed it in an emergency it might have failed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE