Tepee thoughts please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
First off hi all, check my introduction in the chater forum.
Now down to the nitty gritty.. I need a new tent, and have set my heart on a tepee well for all the obvious reasons, I have searched the forum and read about loads of different sorts but was hoping people who have tried and tested them could offer some advice..
I need one that will sleep 2 regularly, maybe 3 occasionally but probally never more although i guess it would be nice to have the option and also nice to sit plenty of people in there for the evening drinks!
I want a stove or fire box to go with it that i can cook on if needed and plenty of height for me to stand in and just the feeling of space.
Its going to be used on my dive trips (usually two or more a month in the summer and a few through the winter) for any length of time from a day or two to a couple of weeks. Its going to be transported in the car and probably pitched on seaside camp sites so wind and general british weather are more than likely!
Obviously ive read up on the usual suspects, tenttipi look great but pricey although i could push the boat out.
Im worried about the condensation issue and would ideally like to avoid spending extra on a inner tent, but will be looking for a groundsheet (dont think the Mrs will sleep on the floor... women!)
So ideas please, makes and models that may suit especially thoughts on ones suited to British weather and also the same for stoves.
All info appreciated
Thanks Joe

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
go for a cotton polyester tepee.Buy a bigger size ,especially if you are going to use a stove . I don't use an inner tent and never had a condensation problem;In the summer , on very cold nights, the tent might feel a bit damp, that's all. A couple of weeks ago I went camping , there was night frost. But I used the stove and in the morning the tent felt completely dry

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
HI There
I brought a tentipi 7 man in Poly and canvas about 2 years ago and it is brilliant, it sleeps 5 people with loads of room and we can have an open fire in it, cook in it and in the evening we have had 11 sitting around and drinking in it, we have had no problem with condensation because of the vents and top opening and it stands up to the weather and wind very well.
If you can run to it get one, and the groundsheet which opens up for the fire.
10 out of 10 bit of kit and probably the last tent you will ever need.

Have fun shoot a stick.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Very nice...
Mmmm i could.. but i really shouldn't!
So anyway im almost sold on a tentipi... although the group buy tepees on here look good i'd want to speak to someone who had one first. Are there any real alternatives to the tentipi or assuming you could afford it is it tentipi every time?
So next question is which one? I wouldnt want anything bigger than their smallest model but i also need a ground sheet and stove so do i splash on the top of the range varrie or would one of the other models serve just as well... god £700 and then some for a tent is scary... it costs more than my landy!
Joe

littlebear

Jan 16, 2007
Bristol
Joe im seriosly considering purchasing the varrie 7 canvas too mate Ive looked round heaps and read reviews and it looks the best, Also found a great couple of sites for stoves (Thank Guys) on this forum firstly try Cabelas stoves, and www.fourdog.com is a cheaper alternative to tentipi stoves, Also Ray mears was using the fourdog on his four seasons episode on bushcraft at the end, and to be honest mate seeing the tentipi with the stove chuffing away looked sweet mate I got to get one soon

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have the Tentipi Vagge 7, which is the cheapest model. It cost £399 for fly (not canvas) and pole. I bought a groundsheet for another £100 but have more or less abandoned it. I prefer using a poncho or tarp even in winter.
They are great, dead easy to put up, tall enough to stand in, will sleep four easily and more at a push. I have a fire in mine for heat and cooking and it really makes the atmosphere special especially on winter nights. My version is also very light - just 10ibs (pole, stakes and fly).
They are very stable - I camped on the shore last summer for a week and no probs although wind does mess up the airflow which directs smoke out of the top.
In fact the smke needs careful managing. Mine, being the cheapest, requires me to leave the tent to adjust the smokehole which is not much fun if it starts raining in the middle of the night. I have solved this by using a lightweight portable umbrella bungeed to the pole so that I can have a smoke vent and rain protection.
Also, when using damp wood it can get smoky in the tent. I suggest charcoal or even the new ecologs you can buy which give off very little smoke.
If you get one you wan't regret it

as an alternative look at the helsport lavu , single pole , lighweight material as with the tentipi but the difference is you can use a stove in it as its completely fire retardant so no need to upgrade to the canvas , heavier more expensive models. Also comes with a drying ring that hangs from the top of the tent excellent for hanging up gear and 2 air ducts at the bottom to provide a good circulation of air. all doors and ducts have mossy nets inside also

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
You probably know already that an alternative spelling for "Teepee" is Tipi". If you do a search here under "Tipi" you might get more results.
Sorry if you've done this already :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These Teepee / Tipi's all seem rather expensive to buy has anyone actually tried making on out of say a military parachute lined with cotton? Just a thought as loads of other stuff on this site is home made..

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm thinking of selling my Plains Teepee complete with pine poles if you'd be interested in a proper canvas jobby?

Tipi019.jpg

Tipi018.jpg

Tipi016.jpg

Tipi005.jpg

If you or anyone else is interested then feel free to pm me :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

D

DavidW

These guys have.
http://www.eztipi.com/get_yours

And the web site says they got their state becasue they couldn't afford what was commercially available.
I have not connect with them and have never seen their product. I am only aware of their existance.

David

Greg said:
..all seem rather expensive to buy has anyone actually tried making on out of say a military parachute ..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE