Tepee tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 6, 2004
Northampton
Does anyone know where I can get a single pole tepee tent like the one R.M uses on some of his programmes and is featured in his bushcraft book. Also I believe you can get small colapsable wood burners for the above, any ideas where?

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
If you are going to pack this unit in a ruck the folding stove is usefull. If you plan any form of portage; sled, pack animal, canoe then a permanent box is vastly superior. All folding stoves leak and are subject to warpage from heat. The lighter guage sheet metals in these stoves is also subject to eventual burnout. Most of the modern stoves use 4" chimneys, vastly superior in performance to the older 3". All of these stoves are great for cooking and heating the tent while the occupants are active (awake) the usual strategy is to get a hot meal into your warmed body and then climb into the sleeping bag.There is a 'cowboy' teepee or range tent. This is a four walled pyramid. It shares the superior heating but NOT the wind shedding superiority of a round teepee in open terrain. If you can ever spend time in a true plains indian teepee do so! I spent 2 nights in one during a blizzard. The main tent actually stops short of the ground with an inner liner forming the floor and lower wall. The wind shoots up this natural flue to the smoke flaps. Along with the rounded surface this makes the design capable of resisting high winds. I'd find a parachute and a sewing machine myself :pack:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
If you are going to pack this unit in a ruck the folding stove is usefull. If you plan any form of portage; sled, pack animal, canoe then a permanent box is vastly superior. All folding stoves leak and are subject to warpage from heat. The lighter guage sheet metals in these stoves is also subject to eventual burnout. Most of the modern stoves use 4" chimneys, vastly superior in performance to the older 3". All of these stoves are great for cooking and heating the tent while the occupants are active (awake) the usual strategy is to get a hot meal into your warmed body and then climb into the sleeping bag.There is a 'cowboy' teepee or range tent. This is a four walled pyramid. It shares the superior heating but NOT the wind shedding superiority of a round teepee in open terrain. If you can ever spend time in a true plains indian teepee do so! I spent 2 nights in one during a blizzard. The main tent actually stops short of the ground with an inner liner forming the floor and lower wall. The wind shoots up this natural flue to the smoke flaps. Along with the rounded surface this makes the design capable of resisting high winds. I'd find a parachute and a sewing machine myself :pack:

Hi Chris,
do you think parachute is a good material for a tipi? I was wondering where to find cheap and good material too and they are selling here in town old cargo parachutes.

cheers
Abbe

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Chris,
do you think parachute is a good material for a tipi? I was wondering where to find cheap and good material too and they are selling here in town old cargo parachutes.
Abbe

I was thinking about the same thing as I have a parachute, but someone said they are not very waterproof??
Does anyone know a good easy way to waterproof them?? or are they like the old cotton tents that you used to get which were waterproof till you touched them then they would start to drip.

MickT

W

Walkabout

The trick with parachute material is to have it steep so the water rolls off. I found that 1 bottle of Nikwax spray will make my parachute (6m diameter) as waterproof as a cotton tent (ie dont touch the sides) but obviously more would be better

Feb 13, 2005
central scotland
Been looking for one myself have tryed ebay but no joy not sure if I can justify the £700 for a tent tried to say it could be used for family stuff as well but a khyam flexipod at a quarter of the price and ten times the weight was cast up. You can hire them from Light my fire thinking of trying that to influence financial backer
the manufacturer http://www.moskoselkatan.se/

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
big tony said:
Been looking for one myself have tryed ebay but no joy not sure if I can justify the £700 for a tent tried to say it could be used for family stuff as well but a khyam flexipod at a quarter of the price and ten times the weight was cast up. You can hire them from Light my fire thinking of trying that to influence financial backer
the manufacturer http://www.moskoselkatan.se/

Type LAVVU in your ebay search, there are a couple on there :biggthump

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I do not [yet!] have a teepee tent as I have always favoured the geodesic or tunnel variants for stability and simplicity respectively. Latterly I have been drawn to the greater comfort [headroom, possibility of deploying a candle safely, etc] that a teepee offers.

Pricewise, this one from GoLite looks useful:

SH6106.jpg

Does anyone know of a UK retailer of these products?

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I have a Golite Teepee and it is brilliant, been in 70mph winds in the Cairngorms without a problem. Extremely light weight, lighter than a 1 man tent and it will sleep 3. Bought mine from a shop in Kendal cant remember the name but a google search should find it.
Just got a Kifaru teepee with wood burning stove, all lighter than a 2 man mountain tent and even better than the Golite as you have a stove inside which is just brilliant for heating during the winter, alot more expensive but worth every penny.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Are Kifaru tipis available in the UK?

I thought someone had mentioned on a previous thread that they weren't interested in exporting to the UK. The advice was to mail-order to an address in the states and bring it back in the luggage.

Best wishes

Bruce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE