tents and stoves????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i like kipping out in tents and having a fire but it annoys me that when you go to sleep your not getting any benefit from said fire so i'm looking at buying a tent thats stove compatible and then knocking up a stove somehow.
however, having had a quick browse on the interweb i almost immediately got overwhelmed by all the choices so i figured i'd ask the experts lol :D.
so any recommendations?
p.s. money is pretty tight so cheaper the better really.
cheers,
matt

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
As far as I am aware all of the tent stoves go out fairly quickly (due to them normally being physically rather small), even properly sealed stoves like the WindySmithy Wendy goes out overnight. So unless you have a very large stove they will be of limited values for when you go to sleep.

What we do is to keep a small fire going in a yukon fire box http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/yukon.htm that we bring close to the tent door and then use a large sheet of aluminium foil set up behind the fire box to reflect the heat into the tent. The firebox is sat on a small folding table and I gradually move it into the tent porch as it burns down. Of course this depends on the design of the tent, but even with small tents you can reflect heat into the sleeping area.

If you haven't tried this, you will be amazed at how much heat is reflected.

Graham

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
If you dont mind watching it, when Im in the big tent with the other half we just set away the hexi burn ing in the entrance. Yes you have to watch it but it does heat it up. When you wanna go to sleep just knock it out and by time the heat goes you will be asleep, if your not you havent walked far enough that day

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Matt, if you are looking for a cheap option then i would look at getting a used frame tent which will give you plenty of standing space, easy to modify to take a flue pipe. As for a cheap stove you could look on ebay or get a small pot belly stove from machine mart.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
It really depends on how big you want it and how much you want to spend.

We done a lot of research and decided that the teepee had too much wasted space for our needs and went for the Cabelas Bighorn 2. its very much the same as the 3. It's a great tent that I would not hesitate to buy another should the need ever arise, but with the build quality it would only be an accident that would create the need.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...arentType=index&parentId=cat550002&id=0055731

BigHornStove1.jpg

BigHornFront2.jpg

BigHornSideview.jpg

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i'm after good old fashioned canvas i reckon i'll probably get a bell tent and modify it. anyone know where i can get a fairly cheap one? maybe second hand i'm not too fussed

Jan 28, 2010
conwy
Hi all can some one please tell me where to get a stove jack that i can stich on my tent inorder for me to have a log burnerin their ???????????????????????

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
WARNING

Be very careful when fitting a stove in to any tent.

It is very important that the tent is well ventelated, people have died as a result of poor venting.

If you look at the last pic in post six you can see the vents in the side of my tent, it has the same the other side, these cannot be closed.

P

Pcwizme

Just an added warning, if having anything burning in your tent a carbon monoxide alarm is a very good idea, as any combustion *can* cause CO to form and as we all know it can be deadly,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE