tentpegs and sand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Outdoor idiots are right about tying the top of one peg to the bottom of a second. It's how I get fence posts to stay upright when stretching wire fence. Works great...

As for sand and pegs, I use two methods, depending on what kind of sand. If I'm on the beach and it's windy, I use rocks, wrap them like a parcel and tie them to my tie outs before buying them, works good, but make sure you put your pack in your tent before you do this, I had my tent almost blow into a river once doing this, had one stone in and the wind picked up. Helps to use long rocks.

If it is simply sandy soil, I hitch two pegs together in a cross and jam them in. Hold them as close togetehr as your hitch allows, jam em in, then pull until they spread. Quick and easy deadman. Never had a problem, but to be fair, the tent I've used this method with was free standing, so the pegs just hold it in place once it's up.

A friend of mine will cut bushes and bury them like stones. Seems to work well, but too much digging, too much cutting, but probably the most stable arrangement.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Gee i don't know much about soft sand. But cant you just dig a hole put tent in hole then stake it out. About a foot deep or so then stake & push some sand on the side walls.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
make a deadman. IT works equally well in snow. Tie the cord in the middle of the peg, and bury it horizontally. Fairly deep. Alternatively, as mentioned above, use bags, socks, etc. Fill them, & bury them.

C

Chuck

One trick you can use in sandy soil or snow is take two sticks about an inch across and at least a foot long. Lay them perpendicular then ty your tent line where they cross then bury them a few inches down.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
on sand i go for 2" plastic water pipe, just cut a notch near the top for the guy, and away you go.
steve

just realised this is a bit late:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE