Tent colours in the hills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
I was just wondering do you think bright tents should be used in the hills or subdued colours for UK trekking use?

Bright

Pros easily seen by rescue teams if necessary ( god forbid )
Cons easily seen by wardens if stealth camping.

Subdued Vice Versa

Only asking as i'm getting a Vango banshee 300 & it comes in neon oj or khaki!

:camping:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stealthy I'd say, you've got the option for some sneaky camping but if you need rescuing the inner's probably orange on the Vango

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'd go subdued colours, if on the hills and you want to be noticed tie on summat dayglow (like a lightweight hi-viz vest) to your tent/pole that'll flutter in the wind.

Liam

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Subdued colours all the way - in the hills I also carry an emergency survival bag which is fluorescent orange and is pretty big when opened out.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree with all the above, when we go into the hills it is because we want a bit of seclusion and to get away from it all for a couple of days. Natural colours are best and do not cause too much visual pollution ! In an emergency, find something bright like a survival bag to tie over the tent.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree with all the above, when we go into the hills it is because we want a bit of seclusion and to get away from it all for a couple of days. Natural colours are best and do not cause too much visual pollution ! In an emergency, find something bright like a survival bag to tie over the tent.

Should you not be in the bag or have it to hand in an emergency?.

My Hex 3 is green but I like the warmth of orange as in my Force Tens, nicer to wake up too IMO. In the hills a nice bright orange or yellow is common sense from a safety point of view I suppose; does it really matter? naaa.

Huweth

May 20, 2011
East Devon
On one hand I like my green tent to be able to merge into the landscape at lower levels where it's less likely to get wild and I'm not going far from the tent. On the other hand I like my bright orange Trango 2 when high in the hills and using it as a base for longer treks where the weather will be dodgy. The bright colours make it easier to get back to shelter in bad weather, and help you keep your bearings when you can see it from a few miles away! Depends on your most common need I guess. If you don't need to be able to find it so easily then go stealthy, if your life could be in danger if you're in pea soup get something bright.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't for the life of me understand this 'green' thing, whether clothes or tents, who for flip sake are you offending? The animals don't care so why should other people. If the sight of an orange tent offends an individual I would suggest they are too emotionally sensitive to be allowed outdoors in the first place.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I'd go subdued colours, if on the hills and you want to be noticed tie on summat dayglow (like a lightweight hi-viz vest) to your tent/pole that'll flutter in the wind.

Liam
Liam , a pair of luminous yellow wellies would be ideal for u bud .....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you're really concerned about needing to be easily found by SAR teams just take along a mylar rescue blanket. Folded and packed they're only about the size and weight of a packet of cigarettes. They can be got with one side silver and the other fluorescent orange (and both sides are radar reflective) At about $3 each they should be in every PSK.

Another small. lightweight, cheap optionis a small roll of fluorescent surveyor's tape (but it's not as versatile)

Last edited:

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Stealth colours, not because bright colours will offend, but in many cases you may want to go unnoticed.

Hence the green GoLite ShargriLa for me

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I don't for the life of me understand this 'green' thing, whether clothes or tents, who for flip sake are you offending? The animals don't care so why should other people. If the sight of an orange tent offends an individual I would suggest they are too emotionally sensitive to be allowed outdoors in the first place.

Rik - Well said!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't for the life of me understand this 'green' thing, whether clothes or tents, who for flip sake are you offending? The animals don't care so why should other people.

There's plenty of Sennybridge evidence that you do partake in the odd bit of green now and then :)

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I don't want to be seen, but have the view when I wake up or go to sleep. Although I don't use a tent when hiking, I guess it depends on whose hills you're sleeping on.

Last edited:

bearbait

I figure that blending in to one's immediate environment is an integral part of LNT principles, so dull/drab/green/whatever is great for me in the boonies...and is what I like to (eventually) see when there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE