Tengu Learns the Hard Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'd say that a blunt knife is more dangerous in terms of having an actual accident whereas a sharp knife is more dangerous when used in a careless, ham-fisted manner.

Looks like your momentary lapse ticked both boxes Tengu :lmao: . Hope you get better soon mate.

Matt

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its no longer tender and the opthalmist who examined it yesterday said nothing so I assume its healing.

Im definatley not going to look like my avatar for some weeks though!

And putting in cream at bedtime is a sure fire way to go mad. (Im one of those fortunates who has no trouble with the eyedrops...unlike my dad `oh, getting cream in is easy, but I always blink at the drops.`)

Im still at work (I do a driving job, mostly delivering Indian) and was watching the chef cut things. Breaking all the rules in our books on saftey. But these people never seem to cut themselves ( but they all have scars where their wrists have come into contact with the edge of the stove; I would wear glasziers leather wrist guards if I was a chef in an indian, wouldnt you?)

But these people learn to handle a knife from an early age. (and you will note they do keep them sharp.)

and your right, you dont need a knife to cause serious eye damage, a file or a screwdriver will do.

Have you had your tetanus jabs yet?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I almost got poked in the eye by the nocks of an arrow once, when I were to retrive the arrows. Didn't focus enough at that occation. :)

Anyway, working with a knife against you is safe, provided you are able to control the force. Control is easier to achieve with a sharp knife, but not unattainable with a dull one either.

When working against you, keep the knife hand close to your body, supporting it on your (padded) stommach. Also, excert force also with the left hand, so you even things out a bit. I use a rotating wrist action on the right hand to avoid putting too much force directly towards my face.

In fact, with a dull knife, it is easier to control the force by working against you since the muscle groups used in that movement are larger.

Many lessons can be learned by using stone tools, which dulls faster than steel. You learn that it is still possible to use them for a while after they get dull(ish) though. With safety.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I went up the clinic today and they say its healing up fine and to stop the drops at the weekend.

Its looking a lot better too.

Glad you recieved the knife Greg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
ArkAngel said:
Thats sounds painful, get well soon. Never stabbed myself in the eye with a knife before. Did shoot myself in the head with air rifle once.......

I don't know if this beats that or not but when I was a kid I managed to hit myself in the face with a baseball bat.....got my very first black eye from it too! lol :lmao:

We were playing at the park and using upturned bikes as bases.....after hitting the ball quite far but not far enough to run on, I was waiting for the ball to get back to the pitcher and started dropping the bat on the upturned bike tyre.....not suprisingly it bounced.....so I let it drop from higher and it bounced a little higher....then used a little downward force to see if it'd bounce higher....then a little more and then whacked it.....it bounced very well....and right back into my face! lol :lmao:
Still I learned a good lesson that day.....not to hit rebounding things with heavy things when your head's in the way! lol :lmao:

Hope your eye is better soon Tengu..... I'm forever getting saw dust and stuff in my eyes at work, I've had to go to A&E to have my eyes flushed several times and I think I can safely say that of all types of pain humans can feel......eye pain has to be the most exquisitly painful there is! :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
bambodoggy said:
I don't know if this beats that or not but when I was a kid I managed to hit myself in the face with a baseball bat.....got my very first black eye from it too! lol :lmao:

We were playing at the park and using upturned bikes as bases.....after hitting the ball quite far but not far enough to run on, I was waiting for the ball to get back to the pitcher and started dropping the bat on the upturned bike tyre.....not suprisingly it bounced.....so I let it drop from higher and it bounced a little higher....then used a little downward force to see if it'd bounce higher....then a little more and then whacked it.....it bounced very well....and right back into my face! lol :lmao:
Still I learned a good lesson that day.....not to hit rebounding things with heavy things when your head's in the way! lol :lmao:

Hope your eye is better soon Tengu..... I'm forever getting saw dust and stuff in my eyes at work, I've had to go to A&E to have my eyes flushed several times and I think I can safely say that of all types of pain humans can feel......eye pain has to be the most exquisitly painful there is! :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

A friend of mine at school had a very near miss one time. We use to shoot each other with Gat guns (You know the old spud guns). Well one day we were running around shooting each other when one of the lads decided he thought it would be funny to start shooting us with the little darts that came with the guns, We never used these for obvious reasons, but he thought it would be funny, anyway he shot my mate in the forehead just above his eye. Too close for comfort!
I guess when your young you just don't think of safety - we used to think it was more fun if the stuff we did was dangerous!

There was another time when I was 13yrs I had just joined the ACF and one of the corporals thought he was the Hardman! my first exercise w/end this guy went around shooting us with a .177 air rifle loaded with matches. I still have a scar on my thy where he hit me.!

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hey, hope you're ok.

I don't need a knife - did something similar with a car door the other day whilst out shopping - got one of those cars with no surround to the door glass - was a particularly tight spot and as I got in the door shut suddenly - cracked my eyebrow just above my eye so hard I manged to smack the back of my head on the roof at the same time! :eek:

Looked like i'd been in a brawl for some time!!! :lmao: :lmao:

Speedy recovery Tengu!

Phil

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Tengu said:
Its no longer tender and the opthalmist who examined it yesterday said nothing so I assume its healing.

Im definatley not going to look like my avatar for some weeks though!

And putting in cream at bedtime is a sure fire way to go mad. (Im one of those fortunates who has no trouble with the eyedrops...unlike my dad `oh, getting cream in is easy, but I always blink at the drops.`)

Im still at work (I do a driving job, mostly delivering Indian) and was watching the chef cut things. Breaking all the rules in our books on saftey. But these people never seem to cut themselves ( but they all have scars where their wrists have come into contact with the edge of the stove; I would wear glasziers leather wrist guards if I was a chef in an indian, wouldnt you?)

But these people learn to handle a knife from an early age. (and you will note they do keep them sharp.)

and your right, you dont need a knife to cause serious eye damage, a file or a screwdriver will do.

Have you had your tetanus jabs yet?
yes. have you sorted your knife skills yet .next time you will not be so lucky think about it ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE