Telescopic sea rod inquiry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
About 30 years ago I had a telescopic rod that I bought in the states and used to do a bit of spinning with on my local river, catching trout, sewin and the odd small salmon. I also used to use it off the rocks of the Gower to catch mackerel. I have no idea what happened to it but I wouldn't mind such a rod again to keep in the boot. The reality of it is that, these days, I would be much more likely to use it in the sea than on rivers so - to my question.

What do the anglers out there reckon? Is there a decent telescopic rod -7 to 8 foot - that would do the job for me? Are they any good?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
They are ok ish for small fish and being a small rod ok course will have limited range. they are handey to keep in the boot if your always near the sea or river with work say.

at the end of the day you cant beat a fixed fod. a telescopic rod will do fine as i say for small fish mackeral and im sure will be quite fun to use to. they are quite cheep and you could pick 1 up for around £30 id say with a real probably, but you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

have a look on google and see what you can find.

regards

chris...................................

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
General use really - mackerel feathers, bit of rock fishing.

Ok, you'll be better off with stepping it up a bit and going for a 11-12ft telescopic.
For a general purpose rod for light sea fishing, having scaled down the amount of rods I own, I use a two-piece 11.1/2ft, 2.1/4lb test curve carp rod.
There are plenty of dedicated telescopic rods out there for beach casting, carp fishing, spinning, fly fishing, whatever you want really. If you aim to do a bit of inland fishin too,as I do, go down the carp rod route.
A beachcaster would be too butch for lighter stuff.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Ok, you'll be better off with stepping it up a bit and going for a 11-12ft telescopic.
For a general purpose rod for light sea fishing, having scaled down the amount of rods I own, I use a two-piece 11.1/2ft, 2.1/4lb test curve carp rod.
There are plenty of dedicated telescopic rods out there for beach casting, carp fishing, spinning, fly fishing, whatever you want really. If you aim to do a bit of inland fishin too,as I do, go down the carp rod route.
A beachcaster would be too butch for lighter stuff.

Thanks - look like some serious research needs doing.

revol

Jan 2, 2010
wales
I have the 10ft Shakespeare odyssey hybrid spinning rods, I think they do a 9ft version as well, it is a telescopic rod but with a full length handle, keep it in the car for opportunistic fishing and use it on the YAK but if I was looking for a travel/ telescopic rod for my main fishing rod I would probably go for one of the Abu Garcia or Greys travel rods.

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
I must admit I fish a lot, have tried on occassions with the telescopic variety and they seem very poorly made and do tend to break if you do get a decent sized fish on it.
I would suggest getting a 7-9 foot rod as they split in to 2 sections they take up little room and can just sit to one side of your boot.
Someone mentioned shakespeare rods, they are great little rods, good value for money and normally under £50 the same goes with either salt or ugly stik, the one I have been using the last year my 9 foot grauvell stays in the car at all times along with a couple of packets of feathers, mini hokkais and a fwe spinners and jelly worms. Normally though I go bait fishing and have this as a something extra to help with my species list.
for any further info try this forum www.worldseafishing.com and to have a look online for rods and reels try www.gerrysfishing.com or www.fishingmegastore.com

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Check these sea rods (beach, boat etc) out. Some of them split down into 5 or 6 parts, making them pretty convenient, and better strength than most telescopics.

However, telescopics are getting a lot better and when i travel overseas i take a shimano exage
Packs down to just under 14". Doesnt get a great deal of sea use, but with a sea reel, i dont see why it couldnt. As long as the fish aren't too big of course!

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
I like shimano rods I have a catana and it is great, I have a grauvell that breaks down in to 3 sections as well and takes no room. My friend has a telescopic I gave it a try he got it in Poland and must admit it was very good I just have never came across any though. If it is a shimano telescopic I would certainly be willing to try it

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I recently bought a Storm Tempest Ranger for this sort of work.

It is a 4 section 9ft rod, with each section measuring 29" maximum.

It will cast between 1 & 3 ounces and will easily do lure and jelly casting as well as lightweight feathering, as long as you don't go over 3 ounces and don't hammer the cast out too hard, you will still get a good range out of an ordinary cast. I very often buy a pack of 5 feathers and split them down into a set of 2 hooks and another of 3 hooks as I feel if you get 5 mackerel thrashing around on the end of a light rod, you could damage the rod, not to mention struggling to lift 5 fish in on it.

It should have cost £40, but I got it for £35 as the shop couldn't find the right rod bag for it, but even for 40 quid it is still a good rod and I enjoy using it.

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
lol I got a storm rod last summer for a bit of a laugh as it was pink full deal rod reel came with line, fun to use but the really funny thing was I caught more than any of the guys at the pier with this giant pink rod . Might get another one next year as it snapped on a spur and the reel conked out but yes for cheap fun a storm rod I would say is great

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I know that this subject has been done to death in various threads (yes I DO know how to use the Search button :lmao:) but I'm after a rock fishing setup for UK coastlines that will go in a suitcase (i.e. as hold luggage). I do appreciate the limitations of telescopic rods but, at the moment, packing small is a greater consideration.

Although reasonably experienced with coarse fishing, sea fishing is a completely new area for me. I'm no good with seasickness, so any gear I get will be for shore work (rock rather than beachcasting).

I wonder what the latest views are on suitable rods /reels, as I haven't found any very recent discussions here.

Thanks

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE