Teflon or silver crusader mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Pros and Cons , which is best a silver or the teflon crusader mug. I have always used the silver and never tried the teflon or black version

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Plain metal, for the same reason as BR i have seen the coating come off before.

DSC_0704_zpsx1krc9im.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not that it stays plain and shiny for long.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As above, bought the black one and it's all flaked off. Had to sand the inside down to stop getting black bits in my brew.

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Silver.
Unless you're sneaky beaky. In which case you'll need a blacked up mug and a toothbrush cut in half and wrapped in green tape etc!
I've even heard from a friend of a friend that Andy McNab even uses black toothpaste. But I can neither confirm nor deny this rumour!

Seriously- stainless steel. It goes in the dishwasher.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The first time you cook a meal in a new teflon crusader is great, the nonstick really works. Alas, it is so good it doesn't eve stick to the metal, and after about 3 uses it starts to flake off. Avoid.

J

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I got a black one - anyone know of a good way to remove the Teflon coating.? I guess sanding will do the job but wondered whether there was a quicker/easier way? Just being lazy:)
would paint stripper work? Thanks for any advice.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I got a black one - anyone know of a good way to remove the Teflon coating.? I guess sanding will do the job but wondered whether there was a quicker/easier way? Just being lazy:)

I believe the traditional way is about 3 mugs of tea and 1-2 strong batches of Chilli...

J

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I got a black one - anyone know of a good way to remove the Teflon coating.? I guess sanding will do the job but wondered whether there was a quicker/easier way? Just being lazy

It's a bugger to do. A mix of stripper and wire wool works eventually but the issue is some comes off easily in drinks etc when you don't want it to and some of the coating sticks as it was intended to and grips on for dear life!

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Thx for the replies - think I'll go the stripper and wire wool route as I don't fancy Teflon enhanced brews or chilli. Shame because the coating has worked well but is starting to flake after relatively little use. Wished I'd had the steel cup to start with but it was a present. I suppose I could chuck it and get a new steel one but I hate the idea of chucking something that could be made useable so looks like I'm going to have to put some elbow grease into it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE